PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding

bilkenter
07-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Ok guyz, at the end, i decided that i wont be able to figure this out and asking for your help

The problem is i cant download anything from torrent world since ports are not usable...

All i did was to use bitdefender for a while, it started not to work anymore namely utorrent, Now i need to solve this proble, the error i am getting is this

Checking port 51890 on 88.254.76.97...

Error! Port 51890 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com (http://www.portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Utor/Utorindex.htm) for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

How to open those ports to utorrent?

I read a few things about it, and they didnt work at all

lee551
07-08-2008, 02:40 AM
you have to forward the ports on your modem and/or router if you have one. do you use just a modem or do you also have a router?

depending upon the model of your modem/router, you access it over your lan at the default gateway ip address (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 etc).

from there it depends on the brand. you wanna look for anything about port-forwarding or NAT. it should allow you to add a specific port and an ip address to forward that port for. enter the appropriate info and you will probably have to reboot your modem/router.

thats just a general outline of it, i'm sure there are better guides on the internet. lemme know if you have more questions.

bilkenter
07-08-2008, 02:45 AM
I am about to finish it thanks for your reply though :D yeap gonna do the exact things that you said my friend, before that i am dealing with static ip right now :D

your help is appreciated :D

lee551
07-08-2008, 03:36 AM
a static ip is a good thing to have on your lan for a pc with forwarded ports. if you're using dhcp and reboot your router/modem you will end up with a new ip and it won't match the forwarded port's ip address.

bilkenter
07-08-2008, 03:39 AM
yeah that is what said on portforwarding forum :D thanks again my friend

bigdawg22
08-11-2008, 05:29 PM
also make sure you don't do something crazy like i did...

on my router, i opened a huge range for my ps3 something like 1 - 99999 or something like that...

anyway, when i needed to open up a specific port for one of my computers on my LAN... that huge port range interfered with the port i needed to open for my computer.

so i went back and did the smart thing and researched which ports had to be open for the ps3 and just opened those and not that huge chunk... all is well now! :)

darkstate01
05-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Also remember,The more ports you open, the more holes you have in your security.
Only open the ports you need,then when you aint using them ports close them, You don't want those pesky worms tunneling around your network for unpatched softwares etc.