Fromagepas
07-13-2008, 10:30 PM
So

Squeamous
07-13-2008, 10:55 PM
For fans obviously :rolleyes:

Fromagepas
07-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Who gives a shit what he thinks, even fans.

If you like his music fair do's, but that doesn't make his opinions even remotely interesting.

Something Else
07-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Are his opinions interesting. :unsure:

Squeamous
07-13-2008, 11:29 PM
I give a shit what he thinks about his music, since he wrote it and I like it.

Who put chilli in your Preparation H anyway?

Detale
07-13-2008, 11:42 PM

Who put chilli in your Preparation H anyway?:lol::lol::lol:

What an awesome man he truly is. He lives in the northeast USA, Maine I think,and the town he lives in was hit by a hurricane and the school was flooded and mostly destroyed. He had heard about this and put his personal piano up for auction and raised close to a million bucks to fix up the school. That is a decent human being.

wevotedno
07-14-2008, 05:43 AM

What an awesome man he truly is. He lives in the northeast USA, Maine I think,and the town he lives in was hit by a hurricane and the school was flooded and mostly destroyed. He had heard about this and put his personal piano up for auction and raised close to a million bucks to fix up the school. That is a decent human being.

i second that.

Squeamous
07-14-2008, 06:21 AM
I didn't hear that story! Either it shows how much he cares about other people or how little he cares about his personal possessions, but either way it's a win :happy:.

'Only the Good Die Young' and 'Movin' Out' had a really big impact on me as a kid. I'm not usually easily influenced but his lyrics are so straight forward and he makes so much sense.

brotherdoobie
07-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Piano Man is a bit of a cliche, but it's my favorite and I really enjoy the melody.

-bd

Squeamous
07-14-2008, 11:05 AM
I like Piano Man. It was always my favourite and probably one of the first of his I ever heard. I got given a tape by a friend of my dad's when I was little (to go with my posh new Walkman) and that song was on it. I sort of grew up with it, because as I got older I started to understand the lyrics. It's never struck me as cliched to be honest.

Mr. Mulder
07-14-2008, 11:41 AM
uptown girl >*

Mr. Mulder
07-14-2008, 11:42 AM
though back ally slags > uptown girls > *

Squeamous
07-14-2008, 11:42 AM
What does * mean? :unsure:

Mr. Mulder
07-14-2008, 11:44 AM
its a DOS wild card, its like saying "anything else at all"

its like saying benchez's mum > (is greater than) * (anything else)

Something Else
07-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Fanks. She is pretty orsum. :happy:

Mr. Mulder
07-14-2008, 11:57 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/mrmulder/dfgsdfgdsfgsdfg.jpg

Mr. Mulder
07-14-2008, 11:59 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/mrmulder/winage.jpg

Something Else
07-14-2008, 09:05 PM
http://bitimage.co.uk/images/8u6r98lqde0n0oipndeh.jpg (http://bitimage.co.uk/)

Fromagepas
07-14-2008, 09:46 PM

He's the 6th biggest seller in history and worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Auctioning off an old piano and donating the proceeds to charity is like you giving an old sock to OXFAM. He could have rebuilt the whole town and not noticed what it cost him.

Bill Gates, he gives a lot of money to Charity, awesome amounts. Warren Buffet is giving $40,000,000,000 (yes forty billion dollars) to the Gates Foundation. That's impressive.

An old piano is like, meh.

Squeamous
07-14-2008, 09:54 PM
:glag:

I want to sleep with

1) Picard
2) Riker
3) Seven
4) Dax
5) Tuvoc
6) Worf
7) La Forge
8) Crusher (Wesley)
9) Mulder

In that order :happy:

Fromagepas
07-14-2008, 10:04 PM
I'd change the order a bit but I agree with your choices.

Mr. Mulder
07-14-2008, 10:05 PM

I want to sleep with

1) Picard
2) Riker
3) Seven
4) Dax
5) Tuvoc
6) Worf
7) La Forge
8) Crusher (Wesley)
9) Mulder

fuck off is Wesley above me! :snooty:

Fromagepas
07-14-2008, 10:06 PM

I want to sleep with

1) Picard
2) Riker
3) Seven
4) Dax
5) Tuvoc
6) Worf
7) La Forge
8) Crusher (Wesley)
9) Mulder

fuck off is Wesley above me! :snooty:

Threesome.

Squeamous
07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Anyway I know what > means, I am a scientist after all :snooty:

Scientists>*

http://exilesexiles.co.uk/forums/style_emoticons/default/cheeky.gif

Snee
07-14-2008, 10:31 PM

I want to sleep with

1) Picard
2) Riker
3) Seven
4) Dax
5) Tuvoc
6) Worf
7) La Forge
8) Crusher (Wesley)
9) Mulder

Which Dax, lyke?

Snee
07-14-2008, 10:32 PM
And Wesley's cool now.

Fromagepas
07-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Anyway I know what > means, I am a scientist after all :snooty:

Scientists>*

http://exilesexiles.co.uk/forums/style_emoticons/default/cheeky.gif

You know " what > means " :blink:

What kind of science do you practice.

Snee
07-14-2008, 10:35 PM
And Wesley's cool now.

see? (http://www.wilwheaton.net/)

Fromagepas
07-14-2008, 10:36 PM

I want to sleep with

1) Picard
2) Riker
3) Seven
4) Dax
5) Tuvoc
6) Worf
7) La Forge
8) Crusher (Wesley)
9) Mulder

Which Dax, lyke?

I prefer Jadzia, but I'd do Ezri as well.

Squeamous
07-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Which Dax, lyke?

Judzea of course! :pinch:

And Wesley is not cool....he is a prize weiner.

Snee
07-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Kurzon was pretty fucking awesome in that episode where he was sharing Odo's body, though.

Think of the versatility, there, like.

Squeamous
07-14-2008, 11:03 PM
:eyebrows:

Snee
07-14-2008, 11:06 PM
The one where Jadzia had to do some ritual and talk with her old hosts, donchernoo?

Squeamous
07-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Nope, I've thought about it. Odo was never very good at approximating the er, human form :shifty:

Snee
07-14-2008, 11:11 PM
It was my impression that he did all right from the neck down.

I could be wrong, though :unsure:

Kira seemed happy enough, but I always thought she was a bit of a nutter.

Squeamous
07-14-2008, 11:16 PM
I think Kira may well have had a list longer than mine that she was working through :unsure:.

Omg...I just had a really horrible thought. You're doing it with Odo and then out he comes and for a laugh he's done a cast of your insides and he's waggling it at you :fear:.

Snee
07-14-2008, 11:17 PM
:lol: :earl:

brotherdoobie
07-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I like Piano Man. It was always my favourite and probably one of the first of his I ever heard. I got given a tape by a friend of my dad's when I was little (to go with my posh new Walkman) and that song was on it. I sort of grew up with it, because as I got older I started to understand the lyrics. It's never struck me as cliched to be honest.

I did not mean that the song was a cliche. It just seems that it is the song most people pick as their favorite.

-bd

Squeamous
07-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Oh I see! Yeah it was my favourite for a while, but then I listened to more of his stuff. I quite like 'My Life' for lyrics, and 'Pressure' for stomping to work to. 'Piano Man' is a good song but it's very 80s.

Mr. Mulder
07-15-2008, 07:54 AM
dianna troy would get such a poking.

Skiz
07-15-2008, 08:27 AM
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8896/marinasirtis15dh6.jpg

Mr. Mulder
07-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! TAKE IT ALL OFF!111

/throws money.

Squeamous
07-15-2008, 10:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibiyQFgCcYI

Squeamous
07-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Apologies for the talking.....you can just mute them and play 'I touch myself' by the Divinyls over the top if you want :ermm:.

Mr. Mulder
07-15-2008, 10:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibiyQFgCcYI
if i wasn't at work right now i'd be beating one off so hard!1 ....they don't like me doing that here :emo:

Squeamous
07-15-2008, 10:47 AM
You're not supposed to inform them :rolleyes:. Anyway, that's what toilets at work are for :yup:.

Mr. Mulder
07-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Of course, it all makes sense now... :eyebrows:

Squeamous
07-15-2008, 11:05 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOKojyCLIQY&NR=1

j2k4
07-16-2008, 09:53 AM

I want to sleep with

1) Picard
2) Riker
3) Seven
4) Dax
5) Tuvoc
6) Worf
7) La Forge
8) Crusher (Wesley)
9) Mulder

Makes for a busy day/night.

Good luck. :whistling

BTW-

I'm quite sure my mentioning this will set you off a bit, but my younger sister was the legal recorder for Billy Joel's and Christie Brinkley's divorce.

She thinks he's the cat's nads, too.

CrabGirl
07-16-2008, 10:16 AM
I think Kira may well have had a list longer than mine that she was working through :unsure:.

Omg...I just had a really horrible thought. You're doing it with Odo and then out he comes and for a laugh he's done a cast of your insides and he's waggling it at you :fear:.

It'd be quite interesting though. I mean, we never get to see what out genitals actually look like apart from the outside bits.

Squeamous
07-16-2008, 10:21 AM

BTW-

I'm quite sure my mentioning this will set you off a bit, but my younger sister was the legal recorder for Billy Joel's and Christie Brinkley's divorce.

I know my rights. I'm entitled to a 20 minute rest break for every 6 hours of hard graft :happy:

So he wasn't a bastard during the divorce then?

Squeamous
07-16-2008, 10:24 AM

It'd be quite interesting though. I mean, we never get to see what out genitals actually look like apart from the outside bits.

There was a series on 5 recently about sex (I know, shock horror). In one of the episodes they hooked up a man and a woman with tiny cameras so you could see inside while they were doing it. I think the camera was mounted near the woman's cervix. I kept getting the urge to whack the TV with a comedy oversized mallet :pinch:

Mr. Mulder
07-16-2008, 12:11 PM

There was a series on 5 recently about sex (I know, shock horror). In one of the episodes they hooked up a man and a woman with tiny cameras so you could see inside while they were doing it. I think the camera was mounted near the woman's cervix. I kept getting the urge to whack the TV with a comedy oversized mallet :pinch:
i think i watched that!1 :o was it last month? :unsure:

macgiz
07-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Billy is a great speaker.... saw him at Berkley Music... he was more than generous with his time, his responses, and his music too. The fact that he is touring again is awesome!

Squeamous
07-16-2008, 03:59 PM
i think i watched that!1 :o was it last month? :unsure:

Couple of months ago possibly? Really late....after 11 I think. They didn't look too pleased about it :unsure:

Squeamous
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Billy is a great speaker.... saw him at Berkley Music... he was more than generous with his time, his responses, and his music too. The fact that he is touring again is awesome!

Is he doing Britain?

j2k4
07-16-2008, 08:12 PM

BTW-

I know my rights. I'm entitled to a 20 minute rest break for every 6 hours of hard graft :happy:

So he wasn't a bastard during the divorce then?

Not so much, I guess...as I remember, he accommodated her in a fairly gentlemanly way.

He's one of my all-time faves, truth; funny how the little Jewish fellow who wanted in the worst way to be Italian made good - a pop genius.

My sis got to see several installments of his tour with Sir Elton a couple of years back - two grands, nose-to-nose.

I'd love to have seen that.

Squeamous
07-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Wow that would have been amazing to see!

I heard recently that there's meant to be loads of sexist stuff in his music, but I never heard that. Maybe you have to be looking for it?

j2k4
07-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Wow that would have been amazing to see!

I heard recently that there's meant to be loads of sexist stuff in his music, but I never heard that. Maybe you have to be looking for it?

Never heard it myself, either.

Of course, what sane people would regard as standard boy-girl stuff sounds sexist if your ear is bent that way.

Personally, I'd say the epitome of sexism in music would be (c)rap.

Back to the other, it seems loads of people have written off Elton...I don't know how old you are, but in the 70s, he was huge - the biggest act on the planet, probably.

Two (actual) greatest hits albums during a span of a couple of years.

Captain Fantastic, indeed. ;)

Squeamous
07-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Hmmm, Elton's sort of discredited himself by making some awful records in recent years. Too many ballads with trite lyrics and bog standard music. I don't know if his heart is in it anymore? The only song of his I have on my MP3 is 'Saturday Night's Alright'. I love it when he really rocks out. All that ballad nonsense doesn't showcase him as a performer or a musician...what a waste of his tubby little fingers to be plinking and plonking some saccharine magnolia song on such a fine instrument as the piano.

By the way, what do you think of Ben Folds/Ben Folds Five? Piano rock as it should be done :D.

j2k4
07-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Hmmm, Elton's sort of discredited himself by making some awful records in recent years. Too many ballads with trite lyrics and bog standard music. I don't know if his heart is in it anymore? The only song of his I have on my MP3 is 'Saturday Night's Alright'. I love it when he really rocks out. All that ballad nonsense doesn't showcase him as a performer or a musician...what a waste of his tubby little fingers to be plinking and plonking some saccharine magnolia song on such a fine instrument as the piano.

Agreed, but he's kind of been off my radar since Made In England, which (I thought) sounded as if he'd re-discovered some inspiration after all the old Bernie Taupin upset.

Since then, I think his recent This Train Don't Stop There Anymore was pretty good (perhaps because Taupin wrote the lyrics?) but no, he doesn't seem to want to rock out like he used to.

The old stuff, however...:yup:

By the way, what do you think of Ben Folds/Ben Folds Five? Piano rock as it should be done :D.

I first caught Ben Folds ten or so years back; liked him alot, but never got around to laying in any of his stuff - an old story with me.

What would you recommend to start?

What do you think of Bruce Hornsby?

chalice
07-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Ben Folds rawks. True story.

Moreover, he produced an album for William Shatner a few years back which was fucking genius to the max. The album's called Has Been. It's a fucking masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-eJQ1mTVzA

chalice
07-17-2008, 09:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y5eBRWQerY

clocker
07-17-2008, 09:46 PM
The only song of his I have on my MP3 is 'Saturday Night's Alright'.
One of the great kick-out-the-jams bar songs.
Davey Johnstone laid down one of the most recognizable and elemental guitar riffs ever in that song.

Squeamous
07-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Agreed, but he's kind of been off my radar since Made In England, which (I thought) sounded as if he'd re-discovered some inspiration after all the old Bernie Taupin upset.

Since then, I think his recent This Train Don't Stop There Anymore was pretty good (perhaps because Taupin wrote the lyrics?) but no, he doesn't seem to want to rock out like he used to.

The old stuff, however...:yup:

Oh yeah I forgot about Made in England...that's a good one. I'll have to see about a download of that :D.

I first caught Ben Folds ten or so years back; liked him alot, but never got around to laying in any of his stuff - an old story with me.

What would you recommend to start?

What do you think of Bruce Hornsby?

Try these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUkiFLURt38

This one makes me blub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRlgq59dsFQ

And in his old band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1gq4mQh6UA

I've tried to give you a bit of a spread there. He goes from biting commentary to humour to really moving.

I've never heard any Bruce Hornsby....recommendations?

Squeamous
07-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Omg! Chalice, was Ben Folds having a breakdown or something?

j2k4
07-17-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm gonna check those as soon as I post this-

As for Hornsby, you can get a flavor for his talent the way I would have you perceive it by checking out his live stuff, and, wonder-of-wonders, you should easily find several from Here Come The Noisemakers...I'd recommend Long, Tall, Cool One, Sneaking Up On Boo Radley, Spider Fingers/Tempus Fugit, Mandolin Rain/Black Muddy River.

Got a pretty tight band; he does a nice piano, I think, and if you don't like him, that's okay, too.

Start off with Boo Radley, if you can.

j2k4
07-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Try these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUkiFLURt38

Now, that was funny.

Catchy, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRlgq59dsFQ

Hard to watch with the imagery...my kid is kinda lost, at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1gq4mQh6UA

I knew that one, but didn't know it was them...I remember thinking it sounded like something the Beatles would have ended-up doing, had they not come apart.

Great song.

It's coming in right now. ;)

BTW-

Odd they wouldn't play a'la normal, from the bored - I had to go to YT to re-find them...:dabs:

Squeamous
07-18-2008, 07:43 AM

As for Hornsby, you can get a flavor for his talent the way I would have you perceive it by checking out his live stuff, and, wonder-of-wonders, you should easily find several from Here Come The Noisemakers...I'd recommend Long, Tall, Cool One, Sneaking Up On Boo Radley, Spider Fingers/Tempus Fugit, Mandolin Rain/Black Muddy River.

Got a pretty tight band; he does a nice piano, I think, and if you don't like him, that's okay, too.

Oh, I was just looking on Youtube and saw 'The way it is'. Everyone knows that one, don't they? The only ones from your list that I could find were Spider Fingers and Mandolin rain. I really liked the second one :yup:. I'll check out some more of his stuff I think. I quite like his piano style even if he does play like Linus :D.

I would never have thought of the Beatles if you hadn't mentioned it, but I can see what you mean. John Lennon had a pretty dry, sarcy sense of humour. Without the drugs and hippy stuff I imagine he'd write a song like that.

Sorry to hear about your kid :(. I don't have any and that song always chokes me up. It's so genuine and straight-up.

j2k4
07-18-2008, 09:50 AM

Oh, I was just looking on Youtube and saw 'The way it is'. Everyone knows that one, don't they? The only ones from your list that I could find were Spider Fingers and Mandolin rain. I really liked the second one :yup:. I'll check out some more of his stuff I think. I quite like his piano style even if he does play like Linus :D.

I would never have thought of the Beatles if you hadn't mentioned it, but I can see what you mean. John Lennon had a pretty dry, sarcy sense of humour. Without the drugs and hippy stuff I imagine he'd write a song like that.

:yup:

Sorry to hear about your kid :(. I don't have any and that song always chokes me up. It's so genuine and straight-up.

Yeah - wise and intuitive, but painfully innocent as well. :dabs:

Squeamous
07-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Yep. Ben Folds writes like he's never heard another lyric in his life. He reminds me of an author called Charles Bukowski. He wrote like he'd never read a book in his life. Just straight from the gut.

j2k4
07-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Yep. Ben Folds writes like he's never heard another lyric in his life. He reminds me of an author called Charles Bukowski. He wrote like he'd never read a book in his life. Just straight from the gut.

I only know Bukowski by rep...never read him.

I'll keep my eyes open at the used bookstore; it's student heaven, and there's lots of that kind of thing about.

I owe them a visit for trade anyway.

Squeamous
07-20-2008, 06:23 PM
I really recommend Ham on Rye, or the trilogy Post Office, Factotum and Women. I don't know if you like poetry, but he did a lot of that too. He sort of wrote poetry for people who hate poetry :D.

j2k4
07-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I really recommend Ham on Rye, or the trilogy Post Office, Factotum and Women. I don't know if you like poetry, but he did a lot of that too. He sort of wrote poetry for people who hate poetry :D.

That'd be the guy for me, then. :yup:

I'll see what's available, and thanks. ;)

Squeamous
07-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Let me know how you go with it, if you manage to seek him out. I don't know anyone else who's a fan....I think he's not so popular outside the US.

brotherdoobie
07-21-2008, 04:07 AM

He's one of my very favorites. Squeamous, you have excellent taste.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-lounge-10/t-to-whore-took-my-poems-297130/?

-bd :happy:

Squeamous
07-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Says you!!

Wow, I didn't see that thread. Must have got lost in the FST ether. I've never met another Buk fan, apart from the guy who recommended him to me. First thing I read was 'Women' and thankfully it wasn't his best book. How did you get into him?

brotherdoobie
07-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Says you!!

Wow, I didn't see that thread. Must have got lost in the FST ether. I've never met another Buk fan, apart from the guy who recommended him to me. First thing I read was 'Women' and thankfully it wasn't his best book. How did you get into him?

A beautiful girl that I was madly in love with when I was a naive 17 year old boy.

Dyanna you rawk.

-bd :01:

Squeamous
07-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah, the guy who mentioned him to me was a bit of a crush :wub:. Now I come to think of it, my other great loves The Smiths and Morrissey were introduced to me that way as well :ermm:.

j2k4
07-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Let me know how you go with it, if you manage to seek him out. I don't know anyone else who's a fan....I think he's not so popular outside the US.

Willdo.

Yeah, the guy who mentioned him to me was a bit of a crush :wub:. Now I come to think of it, my other great loves The Smiths and Morrissey were introduced to me that way as well :ermm:.

My sense of fair play compels me to state my aversion to Morrissey.\

Try as I might, I can't see what the hullabaloo is about. :dabs:

Biggles
07-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Willdo.

I personally think his more recent stuff is better.

j2k4
07-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Willdo.

I actually watched the last twenty minutes or so of a Morrissey concert recently out of a sense of fascination over people's fascination.

I'm still absolutely fucking baffled. :huh:

brotherdoobie
07-21-2008, 08:47 PM

I actually watched the last twenty minutes or so of a Morrissey concert recently out of a sense of fascination over people's fascination.

I've never really understood the Morrissey thing either. I'll take Robert Smith of the Cure over Morrissey - anytime.

-bd

j2k4
07-21-2008, 09:02 PM

I've never really understood the Morrissey thing either. I'll take Robert Smith of the Cure over Morrissey - anytime.

-bd

I know what you mean, but my bafflement over Morrissey is profound.

Watching him perform is akin to watching a drunk shit himself, only worse, somehow.

I can't really describe it any other way. :huh:

Biggles
07-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Thought about going to see Cohen at Edinburgh Castle but decided against it as it was a work night - regret it :( He was apparently orsum and a young chap in the office saw him at Glastonbury a couple of weeks ago and said he was one of the best acts there. He hadn't really ever given him much thought prior to that gig.

j2k4
07-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Thought about going to see Cohen at Edinburgh Castle...

It's all Hasidic to me...

No, really:

Who's Cohen? :whistling

Biggles
07-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Thought about going to see Cohen at Edinburgh Castle...

No, really:

:dry: You are not fooling anyone.

:lol:

j2k4
07-21-2008, 09:15 PM

No, really:

:dry: You are not fooling anyone.

:lol:

Oh, you mean S.B. Cohen.

Well, then.

IdolEyes787
07-21-2008, 09:20 PM
I never got Murray Cohen .Not even a little.

Biggles
07-21-2008, 09:23 PM
I never got Murray Cohen .Not even a little.

http://1heckofaguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/cohen-halifax.jpeg

Squeamous
07-21-2008, 09:29 PM
A friend recently sent me a collection of Cohen songs (you know him Biggles, VL). He went to see the Cohen gig in Edinburgh. Some of them I thought were very good. One was even a Bukowski poem. He was a little too far outside my range to be a favourite though....I think he's a man's man really. Even more so than say someone like Johnny Cash, who I like, but along a similar vein.

Morrissey is someone you don't really come to later in life. You grow up with him and love him forever no matter what shite he makes. Personally I think Viva Hate is a work of genius, followed by Your Arsenal. I bought You Are The Quarry and I like it but I haven't bought his latest. I may be a fan but I'm not gullible.

Biggles
07-21-2008, 09:38 PM
A friend recently sent me a collection of Cohen songs (you know him Biggles, VL). He went to see the Cohen gig in Edinburgh. Some of them I thought were very good. One was even a Bukowski poem. He was a little too far outside my range to be a favourite though....I think he's a man's man really. Even more so than say someone like Johnny Cash, who I like, but along a similar vein.

Morrissey is someone you don't really come to later in life. You grow up with him and love him forever no matter what shite he makes. Personally I think Viva Hate is a work of genius, followed by Your Arsenal. I bought You Are The Quarry and I like it but I haven't bought his latest. I may be a fan but I'm not gullible.

Lucky VL - would have considered going if I had known he was heading up. Oh well! :ermm: Tickets were steep though. £60 I think. Edinburgh Castle tends to be a pricey venue. Cohen is a bit out on a limb but he appeals to my mind and sense of humour.

Squeamous
07-21-2008, 09:46 PM
I think probably it helps to view him as performance poetry, but I don't really think what he does is music.

I think the cost of tickets isn't so much the problem, it's all the extras like hotel and travel :pinch:. Last time I went to a gig it was Ben Folds Five at uni 8 years ago.

j2k4
07-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Morrissey is someone you don't really come to later in life. You grow up with him and love him forever no matter what shite he makes.

I may be a fan but I'm not gullible.

Interesting take on the matter.

Ordinarily at this point I would ask what your favorite Morrissey song was so I could listen, but your having done that already has somehow short-circuited my inclination.

My regret over this is sincere.

Do you think having "grown up with him" is requisite to liking him at all. :dabs:

Squeamous
07-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Those were album titles :happy:

I know, it sounds like a contradiction doesn't it? I suppose I mean I will always love his as a musician and he will always mean something to me but that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and slavishly buy every record he makes.

I think probably Morrissey is absolutely unique in that he engenders tremendous loyalty and incites such extreme emotion from his fan base. He has straight men turning to jelly in front of him when he performs.....grown men rushing the stage and falling sobbing into his arms. Not many people can do that. And I think that's unique to people who found him as confused teenagers. I think if you don't hear him before the age of 20 you probably won't ever be a fan, and in fact you will probably find him intensely irritating :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbJQ4YAPRo

That's probably my favourite. I know the lyrics sound depressing but I get this sense of elation when I listen to the chorus. My heart and pace quicken and if no-one else is around I have a good loud sing along to it. It's got a great opening line and just gets better from then on. I think the resignation in his voice is comforting :ermm:

j2k4
07-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Those were album titles :happy:

I know, it sounds like a contradiction doesn't it? I suppose I mean I will always love his as a musician and he will always mean something to me but that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and slavishly buy every record he makes.

I think probably Morrissey is absolutely unique in that he engenders tremendous loyalty and incites such extreme emotion from his fan base. He has straight men turning to jelly in front of him when he performs.....grown men rushing the stage and falling sobbing into his arms. Not many people can do that. And I think that's unique to people who found him as confused teenagers. I think if you don't hear him before the age of 20 you probably won't ever be a fan, and in fact you will probably find him intensely irritating :unsure:

That last is apropos, but I guess it is to my credit I can see him objectively...I have observed the "male" phenomenon (intuiting the fact of the androgenous attraction; that is to say, seeing it rather than feeling it), then gone back to him and his...personna, I guess, and I just can't sort it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbJQ4YAPRo

That's probably my favourite. I know the lyrics sound depressing but I get this sense of elation when I listen to the chorus. My heart and pace quicken and if no-one else is around I have a good loud sing along to it. It's got a great opening line and just gets better from then on. I think the resignation in his voice is comforting :ermm:

When I feel I can, I'll watch your video and render an opinion. :pinch:

Squeamous
07-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Are you ok? :console:

j2k4
07-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Are you ok? :console:

Oh yeah, no problems.

That one is easily the best I've heard from him.

I catch your sense of brightening at the chorus relative to the rest of the song (I like Sundays, for lots of reasons) but don't find the rest of it as affecting, I don't think...I just can't put my finger on what others like about him, nor can I identify the absolute source of my antipathy.

Luckily this isn't the only thing in life I find baffling. :rolleyes:

clocker
07-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Yeah, you got that whole "hugging short people whilst sitting" thing to work out too...

Squeamous
07-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Oh yeah, no problems.

I catch your sense of brightening at the chorus relative to the rest of the song (I like Sundays, for lots of reasons) but don't find the rest of it as affecting, I don't think...I just can't put my finger on what others like about him, nor can I identify the absolute source of my antipathy.

A bit like religion maybe :P

j2k4
07-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Yeah, you got that whole "hugging short people whilst sitting" thing to work out too...

Well, I like the hugs - it's more a matter of venue.

Oh yeah, no problems.

A bit like religion maybe :P

I'm okay with that. ;)

brotherdoobie
07-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Everybody knows that Leonard Cohen is pure genius.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
Thats how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died