PDA

View Full Version : what is "hack avatar"?

engMezo
07-27-2008, 10:13 AM
in a bittorrent tracker i used a specific avatar

after few weeks i received a message said
" your avatar was deleted because of security reasons"

when i contact the staff they said
" it is a hack avatar"

i want to know what is the meaning of this

Skiz
07-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Moved from "Guides and Tutorials" to BT.

As to the substance of your post, why don't you just reply to the message and ask? :idunno:

engMezo
07-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Moved from "Guides and Tutorials" to BT.

As to the substance of your post, why don't you just reply to the message and ask? :idunno:

i did but there is no clear answer

only "system found a bug in your avatar"

GXice
07-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Perhaps you sourced the avatar from a website which is a known security threat? Or was it hosted on Tinypic/Imageshack etc? :S

Tanuki
07-27-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't know your avatar, but I know of plenty of .jpg images, which are still floating around the net, which try to exploit an old Windows vulnerability:
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2004-092917-3826-99&tabid=2
This is old, but could be that there exist more problems like this.

engMezo
07-27-2008, 11:19 AM
it is a jpg picture of me modified with photoshop cs

and i upload it in the same site

is it only for jpg files

djkamikaze
07-28-2008, 07:13 PM
the word "hack" sometimes means low-quality. maybe they thought your avatar was poorly done? :lol:

SgtMajor
07-28-2008, 07:49 PM
It could also have been trying to back-link back to his home PC to look for an object on his PC, or another (innocent?) link embedded in the jpg that he created, therefore the system could have thought he was running scripts for nefarious purposes, ergo a hack av was identified by the system.

Some do try (have tried) invisible links in avs & IE7 to garner info, so scripts were put in place to prevent such things leaving the system.