PDA

View Full Version : Why New Trackers Are Worthless And More Importantly Dangerous

1080p
07-29-2008, 10:58 AM
With the recent influx of new trackers, I decided to let the general public know why these are such threats to the people who create them and the users who dedicate their time to them.

First of all what is the motive behind a new tracker? Most will say profits, but nearly all trackers are in the negative, and to start a tracker for pure profit without looking at the ones in existence already is foolish. I really think it has to be because of glory or to step up the torrent "e-penis" ladder. Recently, Ipwn was shutdown because, from what I have read and heard, the Sysop promoted a widely known user named "becs" to sysop to obtain invites, becs refused to invite him and he shut down the tracker and a lot of people got screwed of their bandwith and time. Ipwn looked terrible to begin with, we already have 2 preexisting trackers that are both rebutable and abundant in music. I really dont understand what you can accomplish by making a tracker. You will lose money, time, and more importantly respect. Do you really think you will earn glory by making a stupid tracker? Come'on....
Second, New trackers have become nothing but cool little name trackers. Tracker like iFi hook you in because your curiosity lures you since its a super duper secret site. With such a small userbase its nearly impossible to stay alive much less compete with other community orientated trackers. Again, why it was started up is beyond me, i cant speak for iFi since i haven't seen the inside of it or know anybody who uses it. What actually makes me mad is the amount of users that obliviously persue these sites. Are you dumb? A three letter symbol and a hint of secretive nature is all it takes for the invite section to come crashing down with requests and worst of all trades
Thirdly, you may be asking how this actually effects you. You spend time and bandwith, obviously, which equate to money. But what really is scary is the people who run these new trackers HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Having a tracker is like having a baby, you need to constantly keep it up and fix issues. These guys have no idea what they are doing, their codes are incredibly flaw. They have more holes then orficies of the human species combined. Before I join any site a obtain a copy of the code of the tracker itself, its east to do this, right click webpage > View Source. Then i usually ask questions if I can, then see what type of reputation it has. The only secure site that I have seen in writing for myself is FTN, i actually just joined and instantly saw that the coder has well taught. I don't want to get into how you can tell, but just purely off rep you know that a tracker is secure. Another tracker that I know is secure just cause ive seen the code, haven;t been on it, is FSC. FSC is probably the most secure site tracker orientated. Whoever their coder is, hes doing a good job at what hes suppose to do, keeping his site and users safe. New Trackers don't even have their user database encrypted, which means you are f'ed if someone with any general knowledge of computers decides to screw a tracker over. Case-point Bit-hdtv, those morons let the user id and passwords of a majority of their users be leaked ON THEIR IRC. Even after that meltdown, people still continue to use it and/or join even less secure sites. I wouldn't even leech off more then 3/4 of the sites because of flaws. Most new trackers run ON WINDOWS SERVERS. Again, this is really dumb, i dont even want to get into details. Google is your friend here.
I dont even see why joining a new tracker is tempting, you lose both ways. You can't win unless they lock up invites for 5 years and the level rises. I get a hench thats why users are still join new trackers. Every conceivable idea for trackers is nearly taken, if you are offering the same crap everyone else is but with a different design, you fail.
NOW IF YOU WANT TO STILL MAKE A TRACKER HERE ARE SOME TIPS:

* Dont run Windows Server
* Your going to take losses, so brace
* Be original, no more general 0day trackers
* Stop naming your tracker retard names, freeleech4u? lol......
* For the love of god have some idea how to code before you open up your doors
* Dont try to be l33t
* Ask your friends, if you have any, if they would be interested in joining before you boot up, you'll get a good idea if your tracker would be desirable or not

Anyway, that just sums up my views on new trackers but what do i know i only have 14 posts(i think) :/, thanks for reading

-TDK

Duckater
07-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Nice post 1080p :)
Couple of other points I think people should now is that you need plenty of experience as staff before even thinking about opening a tracker.
I think you need at least 3 months costs to cover the site when you open up as a minimum or it is not gonna last even that long.
Names is a good issue as well, I would not use any of the following words torrent, leech, seed I would sooner see names like the mutznootz or beesknees than No1torrents

1080p
07-29-2008, 11:20 AM
mutznootz a torrent site, or a fetish site

we may never know :)

Polarbear
07-29-2008, 11:23 AM
it's nice to see new members who have the ability to contribute with quality posts once in a while. thanks for your statment. no news, but well reflected. keep it up!

welcome to fst.

Duckater
07-29-2008, 11:27 AM
mutznootz a torrent site, or a fetish site

we may never know :)

A fetish torrent site could be on the cards :lol:

Disme
07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Well written, well thought exposé, but you should work some more with spaces, makes reading more easily. ;)

Some things I'd like to add:

- When saying some trackers are unsecure and leak their PW's...that is easily overcome by using a different PW at every single tracker you are a member from.

- I doubt the user you mention from **C really liked that. Moreover I don't think **C likes any publicity at all, and not only their URL.

- The ones persuing all these new trackers are not the smartest sheap in the shed imho. I honestly can't see, when having a normal 'real' life you have time to be active on more than let's say 5 trackers ... and still people want to join more 'new' l33t trackers. Imho that is because they don't have access to the socalled 'high level' trackers and are interested by the appeal to be part of some new potentially high level secret tracker.

- A lot of members (not all) that are part of these high-level trackers tend to show off with it ... just look at the amount of users that are having/had a userbar in their signature. Some do it to showoff, some might be actually proud being a part of this or that community, but if you use some common sense you should not reveal what tracker you are part of like that.
A nice, little and most of all secure tracker is partly achieved by remaining in the shadows. Maybe it is time some members of these 'elite' trackers understood that.

- The biggest BT-problem is that BT has become a medium for the masses ... that can never be really good, looking at the overwhelming amount of retards our 'real-life' society counts.

Anyway ... welcome 1080p :fst:

LoKaLiRi
07-29-2008, 12:56 PM
nice post dude , and thanks for your statement :)

TheDog
07-29-2008, 01:35 PM
nice post
how many new trackers we will have today? ;)
4-5? 10? lol

Artemis
07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
I also want to congratulate you on your post 1080p, your views are well thought out and presented, I agree with the warnings about new tracker fever, but then the mad rush for XYZ tracker is usually the province of the
collectors, just to have something that others have only heard about, no matter how badly coded, what daft rip-off template is used, or the quality
of the material on the tracker.
But then you can say just use what you need till you are blue in the face there are still many users out there with 30-40 tracker a/c's, so there will
always be the hunger for the next greatest thing, and as long as you can use
the words 'secret', 'elite', only a small select userbase blah blah blah blah, there will always be those clamoring to be first in the queue, such is life but thank you for your thoughts on why you should look at joining a new tracker, maybe it will make some step back and think ?

One last thing:

Names is a good issue as well, I would not use any of the following words torrent, leech, seed I would sooner see names like the mutznootz or beesknees
so TL is doubly screwed ? :naughty:

BOOM
07-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Nice job, dude
Imaginary reps to you!!

* Ask your friends, if you have any, if they would be interested in...I lol`d

Mr.sharer
07-29-2008, 02:10 PM
oh hai brandon

Duckater
07-29-2008, 02:11 PM
I ment for a new tracker in the current climate m8 :)

Feeling
07-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Id like you to check out sct and see what you think of "security"

1080p
07-29-2008, 02:59 PM
There isnt a competition to see how secure one site is against another, just like there isnt a competition between pre's. Nobody is competing to grab users. If your secure then you're secure, some sites dont even utilize https protocol, which is a joke. Before https, all information was unencrypted, meaning if you knew what you were doing you read information in and out of the site like a book.

I'm sure a top level site like sct has coders just as good, but I cant speak for it since I haven't seen the code. Needless to say, for a site that has as many users as sct does compared to FTN or FSC, then the script has to be adjusted to that. I dont think users realize how much of the site they dont see when they're browsing. Endless of protocols and checks for the top notch sites, you dont get anything close to that with a started up tracker.

KFlint
07-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Before I join any site a obtain a copy of the code of the tracker itself, its east to do this, right click webpage > View Source. Then i usually ask questions if I can, then see what type of reputation it has.

while agree with you post in general, this quote is completly wrong and makes me wonder if you know anything about programming...

you don't see shit in the html source page, it's just the presentation layer generated by the server, from a java, php, ruby, perl program, whatever, they all produce html to the user browser. That's it... you can't prevent sql injection in this layer and you can't say a tracker is secure looking at the html source in any way, the security is on the back end and unless you have an access to the source files on their server, forget it

so basically, you will never see the code unless the sysop wants to give it to you or if you hack them of course (but then you would have your answer about their security already hehe)

hitman51
07-29-2008, 03:23 PM

HOLY SHIT do u know what the fuck you are talking about? Do you remember me..the one who had 50 hacked accounts at YOUR site...then u disabled me when you could have given a warning...ya your site is so secure....besides the point i had 50 hacked accounts...your moderators were in shock when they saw it and just stared in awe and u say your site is so secure...put your money where your mouth is :whistling

KFlint
07-29-2008, 03:47 PM

HOLY SHIT do u know what the fuck you are talking about? Do you remember me..the one who had 50 hacked accounts at YOUR site...then u disabled me when you could have given a warning...ya your site is so secure....besides the point i had 50 hacked accounts...your moderators were in shock when they saw it and just stared in awe and u say your site is so secure...put your money where your mouth is :whistling

heumm....your not exactly the kind of person we want around here

bilkenter
07-29-2008, 03:51 PM
He also has f accounts ahahah :) as far as i remember

F.B.I
07-29-2008, 03:59 PM
The best thread i've seen here in the last weeks...

Btw, I really want to see 1080p's answer to the KFlint's first post.

It's a really interesting one. At least a lot of users will learn something, including me ofc.

Duckater
07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
the best thread i've seen here in the last weeks...

Btw, i really want to see 1080p's answer to the kflint's first post.

It's a really interesting one. At least a lot of users will learn something, including me ofc.

+1

buggyfresh
07-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Before I join any site a obtain a copy of the code of the tracker itself, its east to do this, right click webpage > View Source. Then i usually ask questions if I can, then see what type of reputation it has.

while agree with you post in general, this quote is completly wrong and makes me wonder if you know anything about programming...

you don't see shit in the html source page, it's just the presentation layer generated by the server, from a java, php, ruby, perl program, whatever, they all produce html to the user browser. That's it... you can't prevent sql injection in this layer and you can't say a tracker is secure looking at the html source in any way, the security is on the back end

so basically, you will never see the code unless the sysop gives it to you

That's true..tracker have a front and back end..it's the back end where all the hacks are at and the serious coding.

Still 1080p's rant about planning b4 opening up a tracker for the sake of it is a good one :)

Feeling
07-29-2008, 04:34 PM

you didn't hack sct, or any of that crap, you just used passwords from some lame tracker that didn't encrypt their users details and tried them at sct.

So do you know what you are talking about? Retard.

deadalive1
07-29-2008, 04:56 PM
This went from a good general statement to "I had 50 accounts on your tracker". Unreal, what's next... are you going whip out your e-penis and compare it to others? :whistling

puckface
07-29-2008, 05:36 PM

retard?

BOOM
07-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Retarded

puckface
07-29-2008, 05:47 PM
quite

1080p
07-29-2008, 05:49 PM

you don't see shit in the html source page, it's just the presentation layer generated by the server, from a java, php, ruby, perl program, whatever, they all produce html to the user browser. That's it... you can't prevent sql injection in this layer and you can't say a tracker is secure looking at the html source in any way, the security is on the back end and unless you have an access to the source files on their server, forget it

so basically, you will never see the code unless the sysop wants to give it to you or if you hack them of course (but then you would have your answer about their security already hehe)
html source is one of many ways to see that basic site design and what potential security have/have nots it has, from being on the site(FTN) I know if it is coded properly or not, obviously no sysop would ever reveal their code to (that would be dumb, almost as dumb as creating a tracker) you, but in general, you know if you are safe or not.......I can only name 5-6 trackers that I know I can be absolutley (not really) safe. Also their code could easily be obtained if they run server 03 or 00, hence why the noobs who created trackers always get pwned.

But your absolutley right, you can't know for sure, but I've chatted with members who know a bit about the inside of the code and they wouldn't tell me a tracker was secure if it wasn't.

Nemrod
07-29-2008, 05:50 PM
This was a nice thread, with things open to debate, but as almost always derived in other thing.:(
Please, let´s keep it on subject.:huh:

SgtMajor
07-29-2008, 05:57 PM
* Ask your friends, if you have any,

Kwalitee post, freindship request sent :whistling

Kyl3KK
07-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Couldn't agree more. And as far as ScT goes I think it's very secure myself. Usually though when I see a new tracker I sign up with a dummy name and mail and pass, to see if I like it, and to see if my accounts get hacked. (I've had this happen to my ScT account, and my Tophos account after I signed up for a tracker I won't name, but that's because they like to stay in the shadows)

If everything's ok, I delete the account and ask someone for another invite sometime later and use it.

SenorBubbz
07-29-2008, 06:09 PM

OMFG WHAT A H4X0R!!

HE CAN PHISH PEOPLE!! OMG WTF?!?!

[/sarcasm]

If you want to show off your "skills" go brag about it at W-BB, where people seem to care.

1080p
07-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Couldn't agree more. And as far as ScT goes I think it's very secure myself. Usually though when I see a new tracker I sign up with a dummy name and mail and pass, to see if I like it, and to see if my accounts get hacked. (I've had this happen to my ScT account, and my Tophos account)

If everything's ok, I delete the account and ask someone for another invite sometime later and use it.
it depends if you use your actual ip address when you signup, not only do some of these noob trackers pose risk to your account security, what possibly even your personal security in regards to fines. I just say dont risk it, only thing I'd have to say wrong from sct is that they have pay2invite

your genes should be eliminated from the gene-pool so nobody has to deal with your incompetence

Not only did you screw yourself over for any type of respect, you've given up your identity

Moron.

Kyl3KK
07-29-2008, 06:18 PM
it depends if you use your actual ip address when you signup, not only do some of these noob trackers pose risk to your account security, what possibly even your personal security in regards to fines. I just say dont risk it, only thing I'd have to say wrong from sct is that they have pay2inviteI did use my home IP to sign up but whatever. I doubt ScT is going to get hacked anytime soon or do anything to put me at risk.

As far as pay2invite, let them do what they want. If it works for them, fine. Besides, theres plenty of other ways to get free ScT invites throughout the year. Besides, I got invited for free. You just gotta know people.

1080p
07-29-2008, 06:36 PM
I misread your post, i had thought you meant that you used a dummy acc, etc. on a newly made tracker
ScT is pretty reputable, I wouldn't think twice about my account or personal identity being compromised on there

as for trackers like "lovethescene.net"

its a crapshoot

DuDutchy
07-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Agreed.

I was on that bit-hdtv list. Unbelievable. Madness on forums when some idiots posted the links on the forum. Luckily I always use different passwords (password managers ftw) on all torrent sites I use.
I immediately left bit-hdtv. You can't take a tracker like that serious after what happened.

Kyl3KK
07-29-2008, 07:59 PM
I misread your post, i had thought you meant that you used a dummy acc, etc. on a newly made trackerI did say that, which I only started it doing recently. Ever since iTS, right after I joined there I had my accounts tried to be hacked into, so any new tracker that wasn't made by someone I know and trust, then I do use a dummy name/pass.

dunson
07-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Interesting stuff. I had my FTN account hacked recently and believe it may have been a staffer somewhere, no clue where though. I think I holed up the security on my end, but idk. In any case, the fact is most new trackers are clearly worthless and won't be around long.

hitman51
07-29-2008, 09:34 PM
I misread your post, i had thought you meant that you used a dummy acc, etc. on a newly made tracker
ScT is pretty reputable, I wouldn't think twice about my account or personal identity being compromised on there

as for trackers like "lovethescene.net"

its a crapshoot

im not trying to show off my skills...i didnt even hack it...i just know some hackers...and i handed over the list of user and passes to the sct staff...its not like i used it or something

you didn't hack sct, or any of that crap, you just used passwords from some lame tracker that didn't encrypt their users details and tried them at sct.

first thing i didnt hack sct...or any of that crap...i really didnt do anything all did was recieve a list of user and passes to your site from a hacker...and also i handed it over to you...thats all i did if u remember correctly

still calling me retarded? i did the right thing and handed it over to u and u calling me retarded? wow i help and this is the thanks i get...screw u.

damnit it i didnt hack it! i handed it over to him! i was being a good person.....wtf?

OMFG WHAT A H4X0R!!

[/sarcasm]

If you want to show off your "skills" go brag about it at W-BB, where people seem to care.

again..i didnt do any hacking...honestly i have no clue how to hack...i said i got a list of them and give it to them...when the fuck did i say i hacked their site? and when the fuck was i bragging...im just surprised he said that sct is "secure"

in the list i got i basically found NO accounts to any of the actually secure trackers

if u think sct is secure ur wrong...u can buy an invite for crying out loud...u can just go look in a bunch of forums and find people selling invites!

1080p
07-29-2008, 09:43 PM
tbh it looks like your saving you ass here you clearly say that you were the one who hacked 50 accounts and the staff was an "aw", maybe you were trying to be a good person, but from what the original post says, you claim, and are darn proud of it, that you hacked Feeling's site.

im not trying to show off my skills...i didnt even hack it...i just know some hackers...and i handed over the list of user and passes to the sct staff...its not like i used it or something

first thing i didnt hack sct...or any of that crap...i really didnt do anything all did was recieve a list of user and passes to your site from a hacker...and also i handed it over to you...thats all i did if u remember correctly

still calling me retarded? i did the right thing and handed it over to u and u calling me retarded? wow i help and this is the thanks i get...screw u.

damnit it i didnt hack it! i handed it over to him! i was being a good person.....wtf?

OMFG WHAT A H4X0R!!

[/sarcasm]

again..i didnt do any hacking...honestly i have no clue how to hack...i said i got a list of them and give it to them...when the fuck did i say i hacked their site? and when the fuck was i bragging...im just surprised he said that sct is "secure"

in the list i got i basically found NO accounts to any of the actually secure trackers

if u think sct is secure ur wrong...u can buy an invite for crying out loud...u can just go look in a bunch of forums and find people selling invites!
First of all your dumb, lets just get that out of the way

Now secondly, the site has NO RESPONSIBLITY that a user uses the same password on each site and gets pwned, when I say secure I meant that you would probably never get a list on unencrypted id's and passwords from sct's site, but if you get them from lets say lovethescene.net and cross reference them, wth is sct suppose to do......moron
Also, security for me means you won't get f'ed by mpaa and riaa and also your personal information ie. ip, passwords wont get leaked to authorities and/or other users

hitman51
07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
tbh it looks like your saving you ass here you clearly say that you were the one who hacked 50 accounts and the staff was an "aw", maybe you were trying to be a good person, but from what the original post says, you claim, and are darn proud of it, that you hacked Feeling's site.

nah im god damn proud that i had that list and witnessed that and also they gave me an invite because i turned in all those accounts....so believe me i was a good person and handed it over

im not saving my ass kinda just pissed that people misinterpreted it....tbh i dont know shit about hacking

and for the record i could careless if my account here is active or not....i just like reading the news and also if i ever need to use newsgroups this is a great site for it...only reason im here

Funkin'
07-29-2008, 10:02 PM
I honestly can't see, when having a normal 'real' life you have time to be active on more than let's say 5 trackers ... and still people want to join more 'new' l33t

You made some really good points in your posts(as did 1080p), but this point here is the one that most need to get through their head. 4 or 5 trackers max is really all you need to get everything that you'll ever want content wise.

bilkenter
07-29-2008, 10:05 PM
I first of all hope that mods allow me to say it :D i mean i gotta say it, Seconly, I think some of you luv to judge people without even a trial. He said, i had 50 hacked accounts bla bla, This doesnt mean he hacked it himself, But i seriously doubt why someone would give him such a data...He might not be the ideal type like me but at least he deserves to be listened, and you guyz stop coming at a guy together, I mean defending yourself against most of you kinda makes it impossible. He obviously cannot take all of you, So As RaichelFaith said, Lets make this a discussion not a debate pls. BTW THIS IS NOT THE DAMN PLACE! Anywy LAstly, I guess, this place as lively as it can ever be without my participation :D

hitman51
07-29-2008, 10:09 PM
I honestly can't see, when having a normal 'real' life you have time to be active on more than let's say 5 trackers ... and still people want to join more 'new' l33t

You made some really good points in your posts(as did 1080p), but this point here is the one that most need to get through their head. 4 or 5 trackers max is really all you need to get everything that you'll ever want content wise.

ya...thats why recently i decided to leave all the sites i didn't visit on a daily basis...basically how i decided which trackers to keep

1080p
07-30-2008, 02:36 AM
I must agree with some of the other posters here when i say that 1080p does not seem to know anything about security, coding or even trackers. His post is not well written and to me resembles a spoiled kid stomping his feet.
your absolutley right, i am spoiled

Any constructive criticism would be nice, your post is the equivalence of "Can I have it" in Giveaway in the Invite section. Anyway, lmk what you deem wrong in my post and ill give it a shot on explaining myself

Intr4ns1t
07-30-2008, 03:30 AM
Well, aside from assuming some things under the blanket statement of the threads title, and not having the basic info about all the trackers that fall under that blanket, not much.

It is awfully bold to say that all new trackers are unsafe, a waste of time, and just all around bad. It is an undeniable fact that ALL trackers, good or bad, were new at some point, so I can't really agree with you 100% I will grant that you make good points in your original post as far as being aware of what you are signing up for when you do so, and would advise anyone to do a little research before the automatic "plzkthxbai" requests for an invite to (insert random tracker name here), but that's just being smart.

Now, about security, I would hazard a mildly educated guess that ANY website that is connected to the internet is hackable to some degree, and after that, it's a matter, at each site, of what measures are in place to slow that process down, or stop the average script kiddie in their tracks.

sokrates
07-30-2008, 01:06 PM
lol, nice to call a helpful member a retard and dumb..
new trackers dont need to be full of security holes btw.. just join trackers where you have reputable coders and nothing bad should happen ;)

TP635
07-30-2008, 01:24 PM
ALL trackers were at one time NEW. Making a very general and sweeping statement like you did make your either wise good post almost worthless.

sokrates:

new trackers dont need to be full of security holes btw.. just join trackers where you have reputable coders and nothing bad should happen http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../../images/smilies/wink.gif

This is a more accurate statement.

hitman51
07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
yea i dont agree with everything he said...i only agree with the part where people keep making too many damn trackers!

1080p
07-30-2008, 03:16 PM
ALL trackers were at one time NEW. Making a very general and sweeping statement like you did make your either wise good post almost worthless.

sokrates:

new trackers dont need to be full of security holes btw.. just join trackers where you have reputable coders and nothing bad should happen http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../../images/smilies/wink.gif

When was the last time you joined a tracker that had no specualtion or rumors about it. Just joined to join. And if you did, your an idiot.All the showcase trackers today all started around the same time, and they all survived. Now you tell me, would you join a tracker like TehConnection that is headed by some of the same guys who head ScT, or join PTN, who for the most part are new to the staffing scene. Just purely off rep, you know what you are getting with TC because the names are fimiliar. You feel secure and the tracker for the most part is in good hands. With PTN, you have already had downtime for 1 week and a half, the server is hosted with Windows. No legitimate respectful torrenter joins trackers they know nothing about, espicially when the staffers are new names. Fimiliarity is the key in joining a tracker, if you know some memebers that you are friends with then you'll join. If you know that the tracker is headed by good people, then you'll join. You won't join a tracker that is headed by a guy named "Trancer" has been a member for 2 weeks, and has 5 posts, and wants comments made about the design. Who joins trackers for designs....seriously

Get the picture?

Fimilarity is the game now, thats why trackers recruit each others memberbases (which is wrong)

TP635
07-30-2008, 03:22 PM

sokrates:

When was the last time you joined a tracker that had no specualtion or rumors about it. Just joined to join. And if you did, your an idiot.All the showcase trackers today all started around the same time, and they all survived. Now you tell me, would you join a tracker like TehConnection that is headed by some of the same guys who head ScT, or join PTN, who for the most part are new to the staffing scene. Just purely off rep, you know what you are getting with TC because the names are fimiliar. You feel secure and the tracker for the most part is in good hands. With PTN, you have already had downtime for 1 week and a half, the server is hosted with Windows. No legitimate respectful torrenter joins trackers they know nothing about, espicially when the staffers are new names. Fimiliarity is the key in joining a tracker, if you know some memebers that you are friends with then you'll join. If you know that the tracker is headed by good people, then you'll join. You won't join a tracker that is headed by a guy named "Trancer" has been a member for 2 weeks, and has 5 posts, and wants comments made about the design. Who joins trackers for designs....seriously

Get the picture?

Fimilarity is the game now, thats why trackers recruit each others memberbases (which is wrong)

Why did it take you so long before you said the above.
sokrates said that in just one sentence in a post above me. which make me think you are just covering your back.

1080p
07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm at school, i cant be on the boards replying to everyone 24/7
I have a resemblence of a life

Also just wanted to be a clear, no self-respecting torrenter joins a tracker thats new

they join fimiliar trackers

Mr.sharer
07-30-2008, 03:27 PM
different usernames,passwords and email

what else you got to lose ? :unsure:

1080p
07-30-2008, 03:37 PM
I'd also like to mention, at this point i consider myself like playdo. Although I am quite new to the private tracker world, i torrented as far back as suprnova, and use to browse these forums as a guest. Any point made a member is likely to mold mine. Some people call that giving in, i call it being it being new

lukee
07-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Awesome post and soooo true. I don't know why people chasing these small shit trackers that claim to be 133t. In my book, a tracker with <3,000 members is shit.

Duckater
07-30-2008, 04:10 PM

Also just wanted to be a clear, no self-respecting torrenter joins a tracker thats new

In that case I aint self respecting I join some that are mentioned at place even tho not really know who involved.
Your post has no real logic behind it, there are some many people here that think that only the high level trackers have some thing good to offer.

Well they should try some of the smaller really friendly trackers that are about get to know those communities and then realise that torrenting is not all about having a list of high level trackers :)
I am a member of some of the high level trackers and have been quiet a long time but I probable spend more time on some of the smaller lesser known trackers where I feel the staff and owners spend a lot more time with there members and really are for them rather than trying to find ratio cheats, traders, invite sellers as they are less likely to have those issues :)

grimms
07-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Wow someone with some real sense has hit the forum. Reasons why most people want to be apart of tracker is mostly due to being cool (Or them thinking they will be), pure curiousity (Which is the reason why I became a member of a few sites) and purely cause you need to the content a said site has to offer. Especially the specialty torrent sites. The 0days not such much. Also 2 sites i'm apart of personally has a great forum (which barely offer torrents anyways).

I definitely see your reasoning in relation to starting a new tracker and the experience you need and the money it will cost (Which will leave you in the red, a long time before seeing any profit at all, for the sole purposes of keeping the site alive).

Good post! Even though you heard this same sentence 50 times before me now lol.

1080p
07-30-2008, 06:11 PM

In that case I aint self respecting I join some that are mentioned at place even tho not really know who involved.
Your post has no real logic behind it, there are some many people here that think that only the high level trackers have some thing good to offer.

Well they should try some of the smaller really friendly trackers that are about get to know those communities and then realise that torrenting is not all about having a list of high level trackers :)
I am a member of some of the high level trackers and have been quiet a long time but I probable spend more time on some of the smaller lesser known trackers where I feel the staff and owners spend a lot more time with there members and really are for them rather than trying to find ratio cheats, traders, invite sellers as they are less likely to have those issues :)
My post has to do with trackers that are just coming out, not trackers that have been established and built a reputation

and the only people that think high level trackers have something good to offer are collectors and traders, which in that case aren't respectable in my eyes

omarscoming
07-30-2008, 08:36 PM
There is always noobs, they have to join somewhere also.

Plus the more the better, they can shut them all down at once!

Duckater
07-30-2008, 09:20 PM

My post has to do with trackers that are just coming out, not trackers that have been established and built a reputation

and the only people that think high level trackers have something good to offer are collectors and traders, which in that case aren't respectable in my eyes

Some of the trackers I am on about are only a few months old, maybe are established very quickly tho :)
As for hwat I think of high level trackers some are great some aint so great but I am neither a collector or trader. In fact to be honest I had invite to some of them before I even realised there was sites like here that rated them for rarity,content etc etc but hey I guess it is who you know that gets you into top sites rather than what invite sites you are on :)

Duckater
07-30-2008, 09:26 PM

Some of the trackers I am on about are only a few months old, maybe are established very quickly tho :)
As for hwat I think of high level trackers some are great some aint so great but I am neither a collector or trader. In fact to be honest I had invite to some of them before I even realised there was sites like here that rated them for rarity,content etc etc but hey I guess it is who you know that gets you into top sites rather than what invite sites you are on :)

omarscoming
07-31-2008, 12:09 AM
Ducksters the Man

poontang
07-31-2008, 02:01 AM
great post 1080p, I hope everyone reads that, because your dead on right!! Good Reading Material...

respawn40
07-31-2008, 02:02 AM
You can tell how secure a tracker is from their HTML code :unsure: ?

TheFoX
07-31-2008, 03:03 AM

I should point out that while no back end code is present, you can actually test whether a site is secure by analysing, then modifying, some elements of HTML.

I use a FireFox utility called hackbar, that allows me to modify the query string of, and reload, an HTML page. This means that I can detect if the code is secure.

An example of an old forum bug (hopefully sealed by now), is the quote bug, where you quote a message, which gives you an edit window. On the bugged version of TBS forums, you could modify the 'postid', and it would reload the specific post, and the 10 preceding posts of that thread. There were no checks to ensure that you had access to that specific thread.

Another way to determine if a site is secure is to play with the POST values, and see if you can access restricted areas.

Finally, cookies allow another entry into an insecure system.

Needless to say, a secure system will bounce you out if it detects that you are trying to access a restricted area. A secure system will also deal with SQL injection (which is achieved via HTML). A really secure system will also bounce malicious javascript.

You'd be surprised at how many systems I have been able to compromise, with just a simple bit of HTML modifying. Thankfully, most owners took on board my suggestions, and hardened their sites.

ByteBitten
07-31-2008, 05:38 AM
Well put.

walkman79
07-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Damn 1080p! lol, I have to say again that I totally agree with you, but I was wondering how can you determine a site is well coded by only seeing at its html code?

You can't see the source code by right clicking a site, can you ???

Edit: I've just read some replies, but I'm still not convinced. You can really tell a site is not safe by looking at the html code (right click > view source) ?

KFlint
08-01-2008, 02:07 AM

I should point out that while no back end code is present, you can actually test whether a site is secure by analysing, then modifying, some elements of HTML.

I use a FireFox utility called hackbar, that allows me to modify the query string of, and reload, an HTML page. This means that I can detect if the code is secure.

An example of an old forum bug (hopefully sealed by now), is the quote bug, where you quote a message, which gives you an edit window. On the bugged version of TBS forums, you could modify the 'postid', and it would reload the specific post, and the 10 preceding posts of that thread. There were no checks to ensure that you had access to that specific thread.

Another way to determine if a site is secure is to play with the POST values, and see if you can access restricted areas.

Needless to say, a secure system will bounce you out if it detects that you are trying to access a restricted area. A secure system will also deal with SQL injection (which is achieved via HTML). A really secure system will also bounce malicious javascript.

You'd be surprised at how many systems I have been able to compromise, with just a simple bit of HTML modifying. Thankfully, most owners took on board my suggestions, and hardened their sites.

totally agree with you

though i thought i was important to clarify this part

playing with input field, query string, hidden field are the way to break security, reading the html source in itself is worthless

slymester
08-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Excellent read

Trancer
08-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Ok i'd like to know why my name was mentioned?Yes i'v not made many posts here thats because i did'nt know about this site until recently.I'v been torrenting for many years lovethescene is built upon knowledge etc.All we are or at least try to be is a fun place.Go on have a laugh it's fine but some people actually do prefer the community side of things.And thats what lovethescene is built upon.It's not cool to run a torrent site lol it's just good fun.Meeting people from all over the world.

cuds
08-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Guys i have been reading this thread carefully and although i agree with some of the statements i have to also disagree with some

Since owning a new tracker , i won't say what site as accused of promoting it , but when i decided it was with caution , i checked out what scripts where secure or had a good rep

I went with xbtit - my coder is on xbtit dev team , my staff are from good sites , one is Loaded , i am sure you guys know of him ?

I wrote down the pros and cons

It took a hell of a lot of researching before hand , even deciding what host to use etc

We have xbtit script and a cent 5 vps running linux using xbt backend , it has been tested to death against sql injections too - someone joked tbdev is better ha ha , not even going there

So why did we start one , easy no one does what we do just 1 topic , most sites are a mixture of things so someone had to and no we are not a music site , there is heaps of them

If it wasnt for the fact no one has what we do i would never have opened one , it is a loss from day 1 , it will take years for it to support itself financially , you will always run at a loss as no site unless thousands of members will cover it's costs in running it

Plus if you don't have a good staff or team behind you , you will fail , you need a damn good php coder, sysop , forum mods etc , without these don't even attempt to try it , you will be always updating your code , making new hacks or modifying them as your site grows , so if you are thinking about it , talk to other owners first , research what is needed , don't just do one everyone else is doing make it unique if you can , and above all do your research first

Apart from that some nice comments for and against , will keep reading replys

Duckater
08-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Guys i have been reading this thread carefully and although i agree with some of the statements i have to also disagree with some

Since owning a new tracker , i won't say what site as accused of promoting it , but when i decided it was with caution , i checked out what scripts where secure or had a good rep

I went with xbtit - my coder is on xbtit dev team , my staff are from good sites , one is Loaded , i am sure you guys know of him ?

I wrote down the pros and cons

It took a hell of a lot of researching before hand , even deciding what host to use etc

We have xbtit script and a cent 5 vps running linux using xbt backend , it has been tested to death against sql injections too - someone joked tbdev is better ha ha , not even going there

So why did we start one , easy no one does what we do just 1 topic , most sites are a mixture of things so someone had to and no we are not a music site , there is heaps of them

If it wasnt for the fact no one has what we do i would never have opened one , it is a loss from day 1 , it will take years for it to support itself financially , you will always run at a loss as no site unless thousands of members will cover it's costs in running it

Plus if you don't have a good staff or team behind you , you will fail , you need a damn good php coder, sysop , forum mods etc , without these don't even attempt to try it , you will be always updating your code , making new hacks or modifying them as your site grows , so if you are thinking about it , talk to other owners first , research what is needed , don't just do one everyone else is doing make it unique if you can , and above all do your research first

Apart from that some nice comments for and against , will keep reading replys

Not all sites are a loss and good to see some else with a new tracker that spent a long time researching and testing :)
Not all new sites run at a loss I know sites that have opened and only cost to them has been 1st month of server and some seed box expensises, but I think on a new site the owners get as many benefits from the seed box cost as the site does
Staff are very important part of every site and a minimum staff team that are all experienced is a real must for a site, the other thing it is also very important to know these staff well so you know their strengths. It is def good to find a niche in the market that is not either covered at all or has limited cover but with this 0day stuff can be mixed in to keep the lotal members on the site so they do not need to use many other sites to get this stuff :)

cuds
08-11-2008, 03:43 PM
good points duckater - then again easiest answer to this thread is each to his own lmao

danio
08-11-2008, 03:53 PM
what happened to the wise-guy 1080p? :)

cuds
08-11-2008, 04:39 PM
lmao danio thats why i waited , not sure maybe someone got fed up with them or banned as was asking for invites in wrong place or a rule break , i don't think he got banned for nothing ?

danio
08-11-2008, 04:56 PM
lmao danio thats why i waited , not sure maybe someone got fed up with them or banned as was asking for invites in wrong place or a rule break , i don't think he got banned for nothing ?

i'd bet my money on dupe fst account :)

kooftspc11
08-11-2008, 05:44 PM
ive seen alot of trackers drunk driving....its dangerous

everybody put on your seatbelts and watch out!!

forthat
08-11-2008, 05:49 PM
You can tell how secure a tracker is from their HTML code :unsure: ?
well mate that what he was trying to say ..........
normally source code is not visible to secret tracker or top secured trackers...when u do right click and try to see the source code........this the part of the coder work to make it safe..........
source code is not the only one which makes the site secure.....

Damn 1080p! lol, I have to say again that I totally agree with you, but I was wondering how can you determine a site is well coded by only seeing at its html code?

You can't see the source code by right clicking a site, can you ???

Edit: I've just read some replies, but I'm still not convinced. You can really tell a site is not safe by looking at the html code (right click > view source) ?

this is what 1080p is trying to tell for top trackers or secret ones u normally can't see the source code......
it seems u have tried for the tracker where u find nothing or something that was not related to the site......

this where we can judge the coder capabilities of that site.......

coder are not just a uploader or staff of a site i want u to mention this .......they are doing very hard work to keep a site secure form public....

coder are smarter.....u r using tredational method to see the source code.......coder's have by-passed that tools..........

they best way to see the source code is sniff the packets that are incoming to u the port of u r browser.......then re-encode they to ANSCi-II then u have built the sourse code............this can be done only when u have clear idea about the re-encode because all the sniffed packets are in the binary that makes u mad !!!

i read all the post that are here.........

all are talking about security .....these are trackers they are not bank's .....to run pix firewall in the router's or to have a firewall's in the routers...
to get a seured port in the firewall budget wil blowout

what do u think of the too keep ssl that makes the coder's,admin's how much work they are doing ........i respect the coder who are behind the top tracker ......

i am in not in any top trakcer but some how i try know the url of those....and when i try to see the sourse code.....they i came to know why try are top trakcer's.......

i respect the coder of the F**and F*** ... they are real genius ........

Nemrod
08-11-2008, 06:26 PM

coder are not just a uploader or staff of a site i want u to mention this .......they are doing very hard work to keep a site secure form public....

coder are smarter.....u r using tredational method to see the source code.......coder's have by-passed that tools..........

they best way to see the source code is sniff the packets that are incoming to u the port of u r browser.......then re-encode they to ANSCi-II then u have built the sourse code............this can be done only when u have clear idea about the re-encode because all the sniffed packets are in the binary that makes u mad !!!

i read all the post that are here.........

all are talking about security .....these are trackers they are not bank's .....to run pix firewall in the router's or to have a firewall's in the routers...
to get a seured port in the firewall budget wil blowout

what do u think of the too keep ssl that makes the coder's,admin's how much work they are doing ........i respect the coder who are behind the top tracker ......

i am in not in any top trakcer but some how i try know the url of those....and when i try to see the sourse code.....they i came to know why try are top trakcer's.......

i respect the coder of the F**and F*** ... they are real genius ........

Good opportunity to practice what you´re telling. :yup:

forthat
08-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Good opportunity to practice what you´re telling. :yup:

where we can built a addon the displays the source code...but it is simple .......to write some script and insert in the mozilla....

i want to tougher so i went to the bit re-encode which is like a practice for me in real world..