PDA

View Full Version : the perfect pc fpr torrents/filesharing

nista
07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
hey i will buy myself a new pc can u give some tips what is good for torrents/filesharing

i can choose between laptop and Pc but i think pc is better or?
also i wanted 2 know how many rams do i need 2 is enough?
about the gigabeyts i was thinking to get myself 100Gb -> should i take more?
about motherboards i have no fucking cloue
soundcard hmm also a nice one or? if i wanted to listen the music loud
the graphik card dont have to be the newest but mabey i wantet 2 play some shooter any idea wich one is good and not expensive
if i forget something importen pleas tell me

what i know deffently that i will use windos xp and not FUCKING VISTA

thanks for your help g.

iamKy666
07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
The most important thing you should take care of,when you make a ''downloading-uploading'' home computer,is the energy that is consuming.
SO...if you want a pc only for torrents,rs,etc you simply make the less expensive and more friendly computer for your pocket.For example you avoid new tech gfx and stuff like that...
Consider the fact that this pc must work 24/7 to keep ratio on hard to seed trackers,so keep in ming the energy that it will consume.

Good luck.

TP635
07-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Get the largest possible hard disc drive. A 100gig is for your C drive and for your D drive, get a 500gig. You need that much space if you want to seed back for a long time.

Nemrod
07-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Agree, if you only need it for torrenting then huuuuge HD space and friendly OS.
No worries about graphics card, sound card, etc. You only need space, connectivity and not so much RAM or the last processor.

yakz091
07-31-2008, 04:27 PM
plus u need a powerful motherboard with lots of fans on it so that it can handle pressure for hours while the pc is on 24/7

Duckater
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
PC is a better option over a lap top as a pc is going to be better left on 24/7 where as a lap top is designed for shorter use and thus heat issues may be a factor.
I would go for the best of every thing you can afford other than grafix and sound cards.
Good mother boards these days have excellent built in sound so that negates the need for a sound card.
Grafix cards at mid range are excellent and will be more than needed at current time.
Storage space is a key factor and of course will be the main component needed for the pc, like mentioned above, I would go for a smaller drive for the os then a large drive for storage.
PSU is always an under rated part of any pc but to me is the most important for a pc that runs 24/7 and is one of the few components that can be rated 2 ways which can be confusing. Both are given in watts as the power the difference being a good quality psu will give a true power reading and a cheap one will give a peak power reading which means the true power is usually about 50% of the peak power.

slimdogp
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Large HD's of course :)

I think an often overlooked part of the setup is a nice router! With all the simultaneous connections required by torrents and p2p, and good router is essential. May I suggest the wrt54gl by linksys and flash it with the 3rd party dd-wrt firmware.

The GeForce 9500 I think is a pretty good video card chipset for the cost. I'm not an expert there, so shop around though :)

GL

hitman51
07-31-2008, 05:13 PM
buy around 2 -3 1 TB hdds...and then buy a huge pipe :)

saulin
08-04-2008, 03:19 AM
2-3 TB? Hell no. Haven't you heard of DVD burners and DVD-Rs?

I'll say 1TB at the most if you are too lazy to burn stuff. But seriously there is no need for 2-3TB unless you are running a server at home or something like that.

Any crappy computer is fine for filesharing, just get 2 gigs of RAM and 3 if you run vista. For some reason bitorrent clients and usenet clients seem to eat memory, also if you do a lot of uncompressing that eats RAM and if you do a lot of uncompressing manually and feel that it takes a while, then get the fastes CPU you can afford.

yevgeny
08-04-2008, 04:13 AM
1gb ram, 2tb disk space, xp, midrange mobo with whole bunch of fans, nice pipe.

thanks for the help.. :)

Eargasm
08-04-2008, 04:22 AM
How about a laptop and a desktop w/ a lot of HDD space. The desktop can be your file server and you can simply remote into and download all the torrents you want while you sit on the can.

Then wirelessly xsfer media to your TV or laptop whenever you want it - watch a TV show and type on your laptop and keep remoted into your desktop simultaneously.

Also, I don't know what OS you want, but I'd not settle for less than 2GB RAM unless you are going for some ultra light distro of linux.

c0njur
08-04-2008, 05:35 AM

I think an often overlooked part of the setup is a nice router! With all the simultaneous connections required by torrents and p2p, and good router is essential. May I suggest the wrt54gl by linksys and flash it with the 3rd party dd-wrt firmware.

I would advise against the wrt54gl for torrenting. I used to have that router (with dd-wrt) and it crapped out after a couple hundred connections. If you have an extra computer lying around, play around with a linux-based firewall, such as smoothwall, m0n0wall, etc.

2-3 TB? Hell no. Haven't you heard of DVD burners and DVD-Rs?

I'll say 1TB at the most if you are too lazy to burn stuff. But seriously there is no need for 2-3TB unless you are running a server at home or something like that.

People still burn optical discs? I cant imagine what a pain in the ass that must be. Go with the 2-3 TB. I filled up 500GB in 2 months.

tX
08-04-2008, 06:11 AM
You must have enough RAM, 1-2 gb should be sufficient
A decent CPU, though most available on the market should be decent enough, so just buy an energy efficient one, or maybe one that doesn't get very hot, or one that does both
Efficient and quiet cooling
A good amount of storage from a reliable brand
A good powerbox should be used if your PC is to be on 24/7

kondrae
08-04-2008, 08:18 AM
PC
2gb ddr2 ram = $20 --------------------------------- ram is really cheap right now, so just go for 2
Intel E2160 = $70 ----------------------------------- OverClock to get the most of it
Good brand PSU(like Thermaltake) = $50 --- need it to run stable and 24/7
Good brand Mobo(like Gigabyte) = $60 ------ make sure it has good reviews and overclocks
WD or Seagate 750GB = $100 ---------------- best bang for the buck at 13cents/GB
8800gs = $80 -------------------------------------- great for even latest games
soundcard- use integrated on motherboard
xp 32bit = free ; )

Total = $380

*most prices off newegg

WarrenBuffet
08-04-2008, 02:33 PM
You sound like a hardware expert.

Here's what your looking for.

Intel qx 9750 OC'ed to 4ghz.
64mb stick of ram
4gb HDD
tri sli gtx 280 (for more effcient file sharing)
1.2KW PSU
Windows 2000

jokzor
08-04-2008, 03:18 PM
actually i'd advise you to get a nice processor, and cat5e connections too by the way
i have these because i burn the stuff trough lan, it takes a good processor to send the data at a nice speed, and a cat5e cable allows you to burn at 8x and more, wich would be impossible with a simple cat5 cable

edit: if you'r up to it of course.. i found it really useful to burn stuff over lan

jukesta
08-04-2008, 03:34 PM
1 PB hd

quadcore [for a buncha goodies]

32gb ram

lol

10gpbs connexion

you can be the king of the castle and seed every torrent known to man.

WarrenBuffet
08-04-2008, 07:45 PM
1 PB hd

quadcore [for a buncha goodies]

32gb ram

lol

10gpbs connexion

you can be the king of the castle and seed every torrent known to man.

you kidding? You would proably need about an 8-10 pb hdd, 1tb of ram and a hell of alot of server mobos, because it would take about 100 quad xenons to seed "every torrent known to man." You'd also want a 100gbps connection if you want to do a good job seeding them to.

colbert
08-04-2008, 08:16 PM
you kidding? You would proably need about an 8-10 pb hdd, 1tb of ram and a hell of alot of server mobos, because it would take about 100 quad xenons to seed "every torrent known to man." You'd also want a 100gbps connection if you want to do a good job seeding them to.

lol I'd like to see a picture of that setup!

danio
08-04-2008, 08:20 PM
are you gonna use your new computer solely for filesharing? or do you want it to work as an allround computer?

if you're gonna use it for filesharing only i would recommend a server rig with a cheap mobo, cpu, and gfx, 1 or 2gb's of ram, and put the money on hdd's and a high quality PSU. in this case i would also recommend running it with a linux distro, as they can be less resource hungry and far more stable. i know you said you will run xp, but have you thought through the options? if you're not familiar with linux, ubuntu is easy to learn.

on the other hand, if you're buying a new pc to suit all your daily uses, it's more complicated. in this case it'd be good to know some more about your usages. if you don't find the answers in this thread, feel free to pm me. i will try to answer all your questions :).

lukee
08-05-2008, 12:29 AM
I found and old Pentium 4 in my bros room and upgraded the HDD from 50GB to 320GB and swapped the old network card for a more recent one. Then I created a custom windowsXP iso (WiNXP2P :P ). It had a good defragmenter app, utorrent, firefox, Fillezilla FTP server and the UtorrentWEBUI. Everything else got stripped :) Its in my closet connected my my rooms router with an ethernet cable. All I have to do is remote desktop to it (it doesnt have a screen :P ).

yayyyyyy
08-05-2008, 07:41 AM
any pc that can run linux without gui + rtorrent will be fine... at least 512mb ram... and of course a sata dedicated raid card (pci express... so a recent mobo too...) to be able to mount at least 5x1tb drives ;)

nista
08-05-2008, 09:17 AM
thanks for your support and tips!!!!

djkamikaze
08-06-2008, 07:24 PM
you don't need a new computer for torrenting/filesharing. some of the best dedicated computers I've seen for bittorrent are 8-10 years old running linux and seeding 24 hours per day, 365 days per year. A new computer should be set up for everything else you want to do, and then leave the old one dedicated to torrenting.

Giallorosso
08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I think torrenting basically need a huge HD drive to seed ur old torrents and for having some space for ur own files .
i have 320 giga and it's not enough for one tracker ,.....

CPC464
08-06-2008, 09:44 PM

The GeForce 9500 I think is a pretty good video card chipset for the cost. I'm not an expert there, so shop around though :)

GL

100% correct i am now on my third router and have splashed out this time, burnt the last two out.

Groovy
08-06-2008, 10:23 PM
of course Huge disk space and good ventilated casing

saimer
08-07-2008, 01:54 AM
A dedicated torrent PC would be very useful.
Get another one for general use, i.e. game, movie, music, daily stuff.
As many suggested, the dedicated PC with unix/linux setup (try FreeBSD) + rtorrent will be enought. My friend spent $50 on a used PC from company (P4 backbone), only invested on 2x 500g HDD, used for torrenting and firewall. It did help a lot on his ratio when seeding 7/24 at crap connection.
I may do the same thing when have extra money, or rent a seedbox for a month or two.

vodopija
08-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Torrenting only demands big HDD. Some old Pentium 3 with XP will do the job, or some Linux. If you want something new them Intel has nice low cost solutions with integrated GPU + some Celeron (of course only if you use PC only for torrents). I belive there are similar stuff from AMD. I was thinking about building one PC for torrenting but don't have place to put it.

saimer
08-08-2008, 03:56 AM
Torrenting only demands big HDD. Some old Pentium 3 with XP will do the job, or some Linux. If you want something new them Intel has nice low cost solutions with integrated GPU + some Celeron (of course only if you use PC only for torrents). I belive there are similar stuff from AMD. I was thinking about building one PC for torrenting but don't have place to put it.

Talking about space to put a new PC, Dell new studio hybrid desktop is such a beauty.

vodopija
08-08-2008, 05:53 AM

Talking about space to put a new PC, Dell new studio hybrid desktop is such a beauty.

Nice. This is great for HTPC, looks awsome.