PDA

View Full Version : OVH now strongly against torrenting

Zer0c0oL
08-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Seedboxes/Torrenting - Forget it...

If you are here to buy a server to use as a seedbox/torrenting, forget it. OVH is not the place for you and your server will be shut down within minutes of using any torrent programs. See HERE* for more information.[/quote]

Taken from OVH Forums

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=634

:(

omgwtf
08-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Where is this world going to? :(

maverick_andy
08-01-2008, 03:33 PM
thats really sucks:(

DikTation
08-01-2008, 03:37 PM
What am i going to do jus purchased a box!

dance4
08-01-2008, 03:58 PM
who used seedbox on public tracker :D

hitman51
08-01-2008, 03:59 PM
its cuz it was used on a public tracker...jsut put encryption and u will be fine stop whining guys :P

Channer
08-01-2008, 04:05 PM
I think they should still atleast give out a warning if they are gonna terminate your account, although its their servers so they don't have to. My guess would be that they just posted that forum post so they had something to show the copyright company, almost like a "here we said something and it won't happen again" I would be willing to bet that they really don't give a shit about it because I have read countless threads about ovh boxes and they must be making a good amount of money off everyone who has a box there. If I had an ovh box, I would enable encryption change my ports every once in a while and hope for the best. Torrent On!

jukesta
08-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks god i dont have a boxie from there

hitman51
08-01-2008, 04:19 PM

ummm do you read?? read Channer's post

deadalive1
08-01-2008, 04:27 PM
So glad I went with Leaseweb over OVH, besides it much faster than an OVH anyway :D but more expensive too, unfortunately.

jukesta
08-01-2008, 04:29 PM

ummm do you read?? read Channer's post

i read it, just saying, some companies dont have these issues.

omgwtf
08-01-2008, 04:44 PM
R.I.P for ovh :)

deadalive1
08-01-2008, 04:52 PM
So glad I went with Leaseweb over OVH, besides it much faster than an OVH anyway :D but more expensive too, unfortunately.
wrong, has been user on both of them, ovh rocks, I got 15 mb upload speed on ovh though it was once, I used to get 8 9 mb depending on the torrents u snatch though i couldnt get 8 mb on bithumen i only got 2 mb upload on bithumen :S but everybody use seedbox there... this is what it is all about... In the end, Ovh is way better than leaseweb...
Well because you can't get it on what you have dude, don't tell me I don't get what I get, I crush OVH's on almost all my sites. I have gone into torrents 20+% behind OVH's and caught and past them all and upload consistently @ or above 10MB, so keep your narrowminded opinions to yourself, or learn how to set up a dedi the right way and talk to me then.

hitman51
08-01-2008, 04:54 PM
R.I.P for ovh :)

DAMNIT READ PEOPLE! nothing has happened to ovh...we still dont know that could just be bullshit cuz it was on a public tracker!

wrong, has been user on both of them, ovh rocks, I got 15 mb upload speed on ovh though it was once, I used to get 8 9 mb depending on the torrents u snatch though i couldnt get 8 mb on bithumen i only got 2 mb upload on bithumen :S but everybody use seedbox there... this is what it is all about... In the end, Ovh is way better than leaseweb...
Well because you can't get it on what you have dude, don't tell me I don't get what I get, I crush OVH's on almost all my sites. I have gone into torrents 20+% behind OVH's and caught and past them all and upload consistently @ or above 10MB, so keep your narrowminded opinions to yourself, or learn how to set up a dedi the right way and talk to me then.

dude u dont understand...ovhs are only better because most of the users on all the private torrent sites have ovh...so its like ovh seeding to an ovh...thats why its so much faster than a leaseweb leeching from an ovh

get it?

TechnoMan80
08-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Bikenter

I got 15 mb upload speed on ovh though it was once, I used to get 8 9 mb depending on the torrents

verry interesting :))) how are you managing from 100mbit= 100/8=12.5MB broking all rules of physic :)) get 15 Mb ?:)))

hitman51
08-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Bikenter

I got 15 mb upload speed on ovh though it was once, I used to get 8 9 mb depending on the torrents verry interesting :))) how are you managing from 100mbit= 100/8=12.5MB broking all rules of physic :)) get 15 Mb ?:)))

utorrent glitches

i got 32 MB/s once...it was a glitch

integral
08-01-2008, 05:33 PM
It's sad if this turns out to be true, but I doubt it, just sounds like a bluff.

deadalive1
08-01-2008, 05:36 PM
DAMNIT READ PEOPLE! nothing has happened to ovh...we still dont know that could just be bullshit cuz it was on a public tracker!

dude u dont understand...ovhs are only better because most of the users on all the private torrent sites have ovh...so its like ovh seeding to an ovh...thats why its so much faster than a leaseweb leeching from an ovh

get it?

Cheaper doesn't translate into a better product, it's just more affordable for more users is why there is an abundance of them. But like everything else in this world....you get what you pay for.

arkan
08-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Why I went for unlimited service like hosting -ie was exactly that- Unlimited Bandwidth.

2TB or 3TB even 5TB is very limiting atleast for me :(

on hosting-ie in 20 days I have total 6TB UL/DL, and that too 5 days I was not using the box (so effectively 15 days)

And I get 8-9mb UL easily with 100-120 torrents running simultaneously.... Whats the use of 10MB/s speeds if you finish ur monthly quota in like 1 or 2 weeks ?

hitman51
08-01-2008, 05:41 PM

get it?

Cheaper doesn't translate into a better product, it's just more affordable for more users is why there is an abundance of them. But like everything else in this world....you get what you pay for.

eh? i never said it was cheaper...did you read?

deadalive1
08-01-2008, 05:46 PM

get it?

And why do they have it? Because it is cheaper, you know it, I know it and most people who are honest would admit to it as well. Has nothing to do with quality or that it is superior to LeaseWeb servers, it's about cost why so many of them exist... bottom line.

Kuttichan
08-01-2008, 05:54 PM
thanks for sharing the news. I was planning to have an OVH box

sp0ngeb0b
08-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I would be willing to bet that they really don't give a shit about it because I have read countless threads about ovh boxes and they must be making a good amount of money off everyone who has a box there. If I had an ovh box

They don't make money off people paying very little a month and using enormous amounts of bandwidth. Bandwidth isn't cheap. They make money because of the pure number of servers they have and that the average bandwidth per server across the board is small.

P.W.E.I.
08-01-2008, 07:02 PM
LOL, I was literally about to pay for a Kimsufi for three months when I saw this thread. I think I'll leave it for a couple of weeks now to see how things pan out. Thanks for the heads up.

slayer2005
08-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Bikenter

I got 15 mb upload speed on ovh though it was once, I used to get 8 9 mb depending on the torrents verry interesting :))) how are you managing from 100mbit= 100/8=12.5MB broking all rules of physic :)) get 15 Mb ?:)))

i get 16-17mb very often for long periods.:-)

tehmrserver
08-01-2008, 07:37 PM
dont be paranoid this is never gonna happen cuz too many people use ovh for file sharing already

haydeno
08-01-2008, 07:57 PM
i think just pay month to month and you will be fine as long as you are not stupid.

omgwtf
08-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Can ppl with ovh seedboxes can confirm that you can still seed on private trackers ?..I'm kinda in the burr.. dont know what to think ..

integral
08-02-2008, 12:41 AM
Can ppl with ovh seedboxes can confirm that you can still seed on private trackers ?..I'm kinda in the burr.. dont know what to think ..

My ovh box is still working. :)

KennyX
08-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Mine too, its from a reseller, but I will wait to see what happens to others before I reorder.

TOrrentersOne
08-02-2008, 01:42 AM
probably they are under the stress of some legal instances,
won't be surprised if they start burning users to save the business.

Unstable1
08-02-2008, 04:34 AM

I have both a LeaseWeb and an OVH dedicated server. I haven't noticed any significant difference in speed between them. But my Giga server is faster than both LeaseWeb and OVH.

And as for learning how to set up a unix server, seeing as it's my job, I know what I'm doing. ;)

My OVH Kimsufi is still torrenting without any problems.

hitman51
08-02-2008, 05:02 AM

And why do they have it? Because it is cheaper, you know it, I know it and most people who are honest would admit to it as well. Has nothing to do with quality or that it is superior to LeaseWeb servers, it's about cost why so many of them exist... bottom line.

oh...yea of course! and so what if its cheap...if everyone is using cheap stuff then u do it too...its basically like u got the advantage using the cheap stuff...cuz the cheap stuff will be faster while seeding to the other cheap server

Raban
08-02-2008, 05:36 AM
well really it was inevitable ... OVH is seen by _almost_ everyone to be the #1 spot for seedboxes. i can't imagine the number of copyright alerts they get for hosting all the boxes they do.

anyways my kimsufi through seedhost.eu reseller is still running and many torrents going... but none to any lame-o public torrent sites, demonoid or anything like that.

thankfully i pay by the month so if I lose it whatever... i will only be upset about losing my configuration/setup of the box . .. . . . . . . if they start "monitoring" activity i am without a doubt fucked cause i have torrents going with numerous trackers...

davidav
08-02-2008, 06:16 AM
My ovh box expires in 4 days. I'm still wondering if I should
get it from elsewhere or get new ovh box. But I bet that won't do much of a change cuz
there are simply toooo many users on ovh who use torrent.
And they can get into legal problems if one who only DL those legal torrents gets his box shutdown.

Fibre
08-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Do you actually seed on public trackers? Seeding on public trackers is very risky regardless of server provider.

Stick to private trackers and you'll be OK. Many people are paranoid for the wrong reasons simply because they misunderstand the OVH forum post.

riparide
08-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Well. My Kimsufi is fine!
Come on ppl... d/l from public and well know trackers?
Keep it private and encrypted.
Anyway .. use it to creat a great buffer while u all can !

dunson
08-04-2008, 04:59 PM
I read through the post and think that they are
1) actively seeking out torrents using bots that monitor their servers, which means they are not just responding to copyright notices
2) they are not making a distinction between public and private sites, meaning they use "public" to mean anyone else accessing your box, not you downloading via ftp or something

Am I reading this wrong? I think this second post really cleared it up to show that this is basically saying that they are going to try and eradicate seedboxes from their datacenter.

kross
08-04-2008, 05:15 PM
As it has been pointed by one of my customers:
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=648

Good morning,
Following our message of Friday on P2P on our network,
we can say it was read. Certainly understood half, deformed
by discussing parties who are passionate in every sense,
who often have nothing to do with the subject.

Now we are listening here are the details concerning the management
the abuse of P2P.

Our network has no vocation to become the dustbin of Internet
where one can freely exchange any sort of illegal file. It is
the main message we wish to convey. According to our estimates,
Only 300/400 dedicated servers on 40000 make the exchange of file
in different forms. It is little, but the trend is to take a
dedicated server, cheap (which said cheap, low risk) to exchange
faster because the file servers use or 100Mbps
1Gbps bandwidth! You want to break this trend and reduce
as much as possible the number of servers that make this activity. Hence
Friday's message, which has obviously been read and heard.

The technical details:
The problem arises in the 2-3% of cases where the client puts in place
tools with PUBLIC access to exchange files, or because
it was his "job", either because it is a great beginning. In
2 cases, Ovh will always intervene to stop this kind of use
our infrastructure.

The alerts we receive through our robots audits. With
the public links it takes 5 seconds to determine what the customer
proposes exactly.

[...]

It should still define a 20čne points that were raised.
20 These details will again create a buzz and it will again
repreciser. We will do more simple.

The alerts, we receive will be automatically returned to
clients. After 3 alerts, the server will be suspended with
the possibility of recovering data, but the need to resettle
the system. Again, after 3 alerts, Ovh will intervene, but
is to suspend the server and break the contract. The customer may
still retrieve the data.

Thank you for your feedback

Yours
Octave

omgwtf
08-04-2008, 05:20 PM
He's not even staff.. lol

kross
08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Who? Oles (Octave Klaba)? Don't make me laugh, he's the founder and the director of OVH. :D

omgwtf
08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Not Oles..that Andy :p
Even with this..Kimsufi servers will run ok on secure trackers..now tl has become public lol

salasana
08-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Using seedbox at public is just plain stupid and idiotic, you deserve to get busted.

integral
08-04-2008, 07:57 PM
He quickly made himself more clearer, as I'm sure he saw many of his customers wanting to jump ship after the statement. :) I would bet that a majority (or very close to a majority) of OVH customers use it for some kind of P2P/torrenting purpose. Face it; a Kimsufi basic server has pretty much low-end hardware; harddrive is pretty small, processor and ram are low. Running a website might get laggy, so it's almost obvious it's intended for some kind of filesharing. That's just my take of it.

Sanka113
08-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Not Oles..that Andy :p
Even with this..Kimsufi servers will run ok on secure trackers..now tl has become public lol

Andyuk just translates what Oles and other OVH.com reps announcements for the english forums.

Tanuki
08-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Keep it private and encrypted.

Why do you think encryption could help you? It might make a difference when a provider distinguishes between legal and illegal torrents. If all torrenting is forbidden, it does not help you at all. Believe me, it is not too difficult to create a 'fingerprint' of your connection pattern and determine if and what kind of p2p protocol you are running. You might hide what you are up- and download, but you cannot hide that you use bittorrent.

c0njur
08-05-2008, 01:42 AM
As it has been pointed by one of my customers:
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=648

This is good news. Now theres at least 3 strikes. As long as people avoid TPB I think they should be fine.