PDA

View Full Version : I am going to come in my pants

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 09:53 PM
OMG.

8pm Monday evening, C4.

Richard Dawkins......the thinking woman's aged crumpet, doing a documentary on only the most influential and bestest scientist in the world, Charles Darwin.

I am so damned well going to watch it :pinch:

chalice
08-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Richard Dawkins is going to hell.

He turned me into an atheist.

Yay!

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 10:02 PM
He can be a bit of a knob, but mostly I think he's ok. You could have a blazing row with a man like that and then make up after :smilie4:

Were you religious before then?

Mr JP Fugley
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Do we really think that Darwin was the bestest scientist ever.

I mean he explained stuff, fair do's and we have a better understanding of how life on Earth works. But surely other people also did stuff which resulted in the betterment of man's life.

chalice
08-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I was religious by default but I reached (at least) agnosticism by the time I was 14.

It certainly wasn't Dawkins who confirmed my doubt. He's the Idiot's Guide To Nihilism like.

Not saying he's wrong.

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 10:08 PM
No, he wasn't the bestest I suppose: the second bestest. Robert Hooke was better.

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 10:11 PM
I was religious by default but I reached (at least) agnosticism by the time I was 14.

It certainly wasn't Dawkins who confirmed my doubt. He's the Idiot's Guide To Nihilism like.

Not saying he's wrong.

No, me neither. I like to keep an open mind and he's a bit too anti for me. He's sure there is no God and I'm happy to say there isn't until proven otherwise.

My parents had a funny mix of religiousness and irreligiousness, but were bigger on personal morality than answering to a higher being. I think what sealed it for me was when my dad baptised me in the River Jordan when I was 14 and I was furious and it felt really really wrong. Follow your heart whatever it tells you I guess.

The Flying Cow
08-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Dawkins is a cunt.

True story.

Mr JP Fugley
08-02-2008, 10:20 PM

Not saying he's wrong.

No, me neither. I like to keep an open mind and he's a bit too anti for me. He's sure there is no God and I'm happy to say there isn't until proven otherwise.

My parents had a funny mix of religiousness and irreligiousness, but were bigger on personal morality than answering to a higher being. I think what sealed it for me was when my dad baptised me in the River Jordan when I was 14 and I was furious and it felt really really wrong. Follow your heart whatever it tells you I guess.

There was you just having a wee paddle as well.

chalice
08-02-2008, 10:24 PM

Not saying he's wrong.

Was that the purpoise of the journey or did your dad seize a romantic opportunity/whim?

Was your dad truly religious or merely spiritual/romantic?

Or was he a cunt?

:fear:

Mr JP Fugley
08-02-2008, 10:26 PM

Was that the purpoise of the journey or did your dad seize a romantic opportunity/whim?

Woah, that's going too far chav one.

chalice
08-02-2008, 10:30 PM

Woah, that's going too far chav one.

Been re-reading Lolita recently.

Latent cuntibilty abounds.

Mr JP Fugley
08-02-2008, 10:33 PM
:pinch:

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 10:46 PM

Running water tends to have that effect on me :pinch:

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 10:49 PM

Was your dad truly religious or merely spiritual/romantic?

Or was he a cunt?

:fear:

He called it a 'pilgrimage'. I reminded him that I distinctly remembered him slagging off my nan the year before for only getting back into religion when she was old and frightened and how he'd said he'd never do that, but then I was drowned out by the water :pinch:. I think it was a spur of the moment thing. They call it 'Jerusalem syndrome' I think. He's probably quite spiritual. I think sometimes rational people want to believe but can't, and it causes them unhappiness.

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 10:51 PM

Is the book better than the film?

Mr JP Fugley
08-02-2008, 10:57 PM

Running water tends to have that effect on me :pinch:

:drummer:

Something Else
08-02-2008, 11:00 PM

It depends on whether you need the visual stimulant.

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I am a female, it's not usually necessary :mellow:

chalice
08-02-2008, 11:01 PM

Infinitely, if you're a lover of language. That novel, despite the subject matter, is a slap in the face for the English language.

Personally, I don't think Kubrick was nearly successful, like.

Still, David Lynch says it's his favourite movie ever so...

So?

Exactly.

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 11:06 PM
In what way is it a slap in the face? In a good way?

I quite like the film, but then I haven't read the book. I can only think of one film that's been better than the book: One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest.

Biggles
08-02-2008, 11:07 PM
OMG.

8pm Monday evening, C4.

Richard Dawkins......the thinking woman's aged crumpet, doing a documentary on only the most influential and bestest scientist in the world, Charles Darwin.

I am so damned well going to watch it :pinch:

I like Dawkins despite not entirely sharing his absolute certainty on the lack of teapots flying around Jupiter. Darwin was an interesting chap too. I shall give it a look.

Prolly won't moisten my underwear though :ermm:

I thought Maxwell was the bestestist scientists. :idunno:

......actually there have been a lot of bestestist scientists over the years.

Biggles
08-02-2008, 11:10 PM

Infinitely, if you're a lover of language. That novel, despite the subject matter, is a slap in the face for the English language.

Personally, I don't think Kubrick was nearly successful, like.

Still, David Lynch says it's his favourite movie ever so...

So?

Exactly.

Mason and Sellers were excellent in the original film - haven't seen the remake. I think it is best to treat films as additions to the book rather than a direct replacement. If one has even half an imagination the pictures in your head are going to be better.

chalice
08-02-2008, 11:13 PM
In what way is it a slap in the face? In a good way?

I quite like the film, but then I haven't read the book. I can only think of one film that's been better than the book: One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest.

His prose slapped me in that I was painfully aware that a writer, writing in his second and adopted language was able to far surpass in lyricism and depth anything I'd read hitherto.

Read the fuck out of it or do something else.

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I like Dawkins despite not entirely sharing his absolute certainty on the lack of teapots flying around Jupiter. Darwin was an interesting chap too. I shall give it a look.

Actually I forgot about Da Vinci :pinch:. Ok, he was the best, then Hooke and then Darwin. For now :ermm:

I really appreciate polymaths. I think it takes something special to even only be able to do lots of things moderately well rather than one thing very well. Da Vinci gets top billing for doing everything very well :yup:.

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 11:16 PM
His prose slapped me in that I was painfully aware that a writer, writing in his second and adopted language was able to far surpass in lyricism and depth anything I'd read hitherto.

Ok, I will. Read it I mean :yup:

Biggles
08-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Polymath

That is for wallpaper, right?

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 11:19 PM
I think probably Da Vinci's wall could do with some :pinch:

Mr JP Fugley
08-02-2008, 11:21 PM

Actually I forgot about Da Vinci :pinch:. Ok, he was the best, then Hooke and then Darwin. For now :ermm:

I really appreciate polymaths. I think it takes something special to even only be able to do lots of things moderately well rather than one thing very well. Da Vinci gets top billing for doing everything very well :yup:.

I'm sure I've said it elsewhere, probly started a thread about it and everything.

Leonard of Quirm is the greatest genious the World has ever produced.

So far.

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I agree. And it's nice to see being a heemasex didn't hold him back. He's an inspiration to Benchez fairies everywhere :yup:.

Biggles
08-02-2008, 11:25 PM
I always read that as Leonard of Quim - which of course he wasn't. :unsure:

Something Else
08-02-2008, 11:28 PM
I agree. And it's nice to see being a heemasex didn't hold him back. He's an inspiration to Benchez fairies everywhere :yup:.

Wait till you see my clubbing outfit. :naughty:

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm sure you'll be able to pull it off

:ermm:

Something Else
08-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm not pulling it off in a club. I'd be ejected. That's just sick.

Squeamous
08-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Not if they don't see you :naughty:

The Flying Cow
08-03-2008, 12:34 AM

A bit like Joseph Conrad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Conrad) (a Pole) writing The Secret Agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Agent). As I read it (which is the current status quea), I revel in it's magnificent command of the language.

My thoughts exactly. Darwin is dead. There have been dozens of geniuses to help us progress since his passing.

Skweeky
08-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Yous all forgot the most important one; Al Gore for inventing the internetz :snooty:

thewizeard
08-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Darwin got a wrong. If Darwin had had Google Earth, we would have had a creationist theory!

Next we'll be believing that The Pyramids and say (for example) the stonework at Cusco are from human hands. :noes:

Mr JP Fugley
08-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I always read that as Leonard of Quim - which of course he wasn't. :unsure:

:lol::earl:

You didn't really think that at all, now did you.