PDA

View Full Version : If you have made a giveaway(s) or were to make one or more, why would you do it?

WarrenBuffet
08-03-2008, 01:16 AM
I've been pondering this for a while. I've noticed a direct correlation with users that make giveaways, and users that leave their "show bt rep" Option on. Back in the day, when I was a little more foolish, I would always leave my bt rep on to showoff my points after I made those giveaways, but now I came back to this forum mostly because I'm bored and could care less about p2p. So how about you?

Duckater
08-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Got no rep don't do give aways other than for site I am an owner of then have to have same user name as they have here :)
To be honest rep points mean nothing to me some one could have 10,000 and be no better a person than some one making there 1st post :)

ryan20021982
08-03-2008, 02:01 AM
I have all the sites I want now except for 1 which has closed invites right now
so I don't do it for myself, whats the point letting invites sit there on my
account and not using them, I always ask friends first and if they don't need them
then I usually give them away, and honestly I didn't know you can choose to have
your rep shown or not.

And I don't think that it means someone is a good member really all it means is they
might have gave away a bunch of invites really, I mean some might have been better
proof of a members responsibility but how can you tell that by looking at all the green.

I like the idea of the rep points but really they do not mean the person is trustworthy
or responsible.

So I give away invites for 1 because I cant use them, and 2 I would like to help someone
get into sites that are good and they can benefit from.

SgtMajor
08-03-2008, 02:15 AM
·:·);2918799']I've been pondering this for a while. I've noticed a direct correlation with users that make giveaways, and users that leave their "show bt rep" Option on. Back in the day, when I was a little more foolish, I would always leave my bt rep on to showoff my points after I made those giveaways, but now I came back to this forum mostly because I'm bored and could care less about p2p. So how about you?

Edit - did you mean could care less or couldn't care less?

Have you traded your FST account recently, or had a lobotomy?

Are you really the same zaa of old, it's just that I am warming to your posts <ugh!!!, shivers>

/me runs - fast as fuck, did I really post that??

WarrenBuffet
08-03-2008, 02:17 AM
·:·);2918799']I've been pondering this for a while. I've noticed a direct correlation with users that make giveaways, and users that leave their "show bt rep" Option on. Back in the day, when I was a little more foolish, I would always leave my bt rep on to showoff my points after I made those giveaways, but now I came back to this forum mostly because I'm bored and could care less about p2p. So how about you?

Are you really the same zaa of old, it's just that I am warming to your posts <ugh!!!, shivers>

who is this zaa? I bought this account "slightly" used. I hope the previous owner hasn't made a name for himself.

maverick_andy
08-03-2008, 03:27 AM

I think if people are really generous to GA then Rep points shouldn't be added:yup:. I saw many ppl do GA to get reps and show it off, hoping they will one day get into lvl 9+ invite:D

integral
08-03-2008, 03:39 AM
I don't get what the whole "rep point" thing is about. I did one giveaway, I thought it went semi-well, and I didn't even know what BT rep was when I was doing it. I just like to give people a chance.

Acumen
08-03-2008, 03:59 AM
To be honest rep points mean nothing to me some one could have 10,000 and be no better a person than some one making there 1st post :)
Well isn't that the sweeping pronouncement of the thread! No one is saying that people with more BT reps are "better" people. (What ever the hell that means!). The amount of BT reps is a good indicator of the responsibility of a fellow torrenter; and I'm sure many people interpret and collect the reps as such, either honestly or deceitfully.

As for the motives behind aggregating them hastily ... the whole thing is nauseatingly unctuous to me. Giveawayers want the acclaim. I don't care how much empathy you have for strangers on the internet... and their apparent and dire NEED for invites... why waste your time setting up flashy threads in fifty different colors, all center-aligned and half of the text in bold (the rest in italics), if you weren't getting something out of it?
All aesthetically pleasing, yes; but necessary? NO SIR!

Also, the receiver may call you his friend, or his brother, or worse his "mate", and drown you with a million smileys ... but unless you drink beer with the guy, he is pandering.

At least when you trade with someone, people are forced to be honest with each other. (I'm assuming, of course, that no one is getting scammed...)

Channer
08-03-2008, 04:46 AM
I would go with option number two. Not for the bars though, just for the turtles :lol:

SgtMajor
08-03-2008, 04:51 AM

who is this zaa? I bought this account "slightly" used. I hope the previous owner hasn't made a name for himself.

He suffers from an identity crisis, and I never know who I am talking to at times! :D

Or just a case of multiple personality disorder perhaps? :dry:

Funkin'
08-03-2008, 05:06 AM
I haven't made a giveaway, and I never will. It's against the rules at the trackers I belong to to make public giveaways. Plus, it's not possible for me to care any less about rep points. Why anyone would give a fuck about those is beyond me.

t1m3k33p3r
08-03-2008, 05:16 AM
rep sucks dick.

Sanka113
08-03-2008, 05:44 AM
I used to giveaways here so that I can give back to the community that has helped me the most. Unfortunately a site admin that I thought I trusted gave away his BMTV account that he made with my invite. Now I don't really trust anyone with an invite to any of the "better" trackers.

tX
08-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Because the invites are no use sitting around, may as well let someone use them

c0njur
08-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Life is too short to let invites go to waste. Give to those who want in.

punki_rach
08-03-2008, 10:19 AM
I was bored and had extra invites

The Flying Cow
08-03-2008, 01:50 PM

SgtMajor runs - fast as fuck, did I really post that??

:glag:

Enough of this farce.

Sergeant, you didn't... :O

He suffers from an identity crisis, and I never know who I am talking to at times! :D

Or just a case of multiple personality disorder perhaps? :dry:

Paranoid schizophrenia would be the medical term, like.

puckface
08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
I do giveaways to break trackers rules, let in beggars and scammers and to comprimise the security of the site
/sarcasm

and as far as the rep thing, I never bothered finding how to turn it if, and I dont really care to turn it off. Its there/Its not there... either way.

LubTheStaringCat
08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
I would like to help the good members here, maybe those just starting out In torrenting.
But the flipside of that Is the riffraff sometimes slip through.

KFlint
08-03-2008, 04:53 PM

we have a little clown here...you bought this account from zaa.... so what now, should i ban your arse from here then, or you remember being zaa suddenly? :ermm:

dunson
08-03-2008, 05:14 PM
I see it the same way I view seeding. I got invites from cool guys and now I try to seed it back when I get invites by handing them over to cool people.

jokzor
08-03-2008, 05:17 PM
i do it because others before me also did when i needed

Villain
08-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I plan to giveaway some invites when I have access to Giveaway thread. Why I want to giveaway? Well I guess because I don't know what to do with invites.

Ronnie Coleman
08-03-2008, 05:32 PM
This statement is so veridical and, at the same time, practical. I totally agree.

sear
08-03-2008, 11:37 PM

we have a little clown here...you bought this account from zaa.... so what now, should i ban your arse from here then, or you remember being zaa suddenly? :ermm:

I think you should ban him either way...just for kicks...and for being an invite selling cawk

Something Else
08-03-2008, 11:38 PM
:lol:

Agree.

jokzor
08-04-2008, 01:52 AM
This statement is so veridical and, at the same time, practical. I totally agree.

so true

Tokeman
08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I do it because the people I know personally either do not do p2p, do not have the technical knowledge needed to setup/use torrents, or do not understand the concept of sharing back.
A lot of my invites just sit, but why not try to give some to a few deserving users?

markupmaster
08-04-2008, 04:58 PM
I have my rep disabled...

I would only give invites to people here if I truly felt that they deserved it.

:)

SgtMajor
08-04-2008, 06:05 PM

I think you should ban him either way...just for kicks...and for being an invite selling cawk

Just give me the ban stick for a day, pure fukkin magic.

The Flying Cow
08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
A few pages ago you said your heart was warming to this jester.

...did you not?

SgtMajor
08-04-2008, 06:15 PM
A few pages ago you said your heart was warming to this jester.

...did you not?

The ban stick would be for quite a few others before I even got to my mate zaa/(+.[___]·:·)/WarrenBuffet (whatever his name is today)!!.

The Flying Cow
08-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Fair 'nuff, fair 'nuff.

KennyX
08-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't think I would start an actual giveaway thread but I would fill some more requests. I would also give away upload or karma as there is no risk with that.

As for the rep points I like to see them increase so I suppose its e-dik for me as well.

KennyX
08-04-2008, 07:03 PM
dup and I did only press it once.

grimms
08-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Anyways to answer zaa's question. Giveaways are meant to help others get a foot in the door, but have been extremely manipulated into a "What is in it for me approach" and to also try to impress those who have access to trackers or anything else that the person giving away invites wants to have access too as well.

Thats how I see it now of days. When I use to give away invites it was strictly to help others get a foot in the door or cause I felt like a particular member deserved it based on their contributions to fst (Advice, relating to a cause, being active, etc.). Now I think giving away invites publicly is very hazardous and dangerous to trackers and their members and their security, but thats whole other topic, that I won't delve in too.

The why? People do it now, is simply to say to members that have what the invite giver wants is "look at me I gave away 20 invites today and now I deserve to be apart of a l33t tracker". You also have the ones that just like to help but those people are very few and far between now IMO.

seedman
08-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Sure when I started in the torrent world I might have had some motives that others might scratch my back too, but now I have everything I want (except the rabbit) and if there are some users that would love to have some of my spare invites- why not?

Swift
08-07-2008, 06:35 AM
I wouldn`t make public giveaways I would share my invites with close "friends from the internet" :D

1000possibleclaws
08-07-2008, 06:47 AM
you forgot the option 'I like to fill requests/ give invites to friends via pm rather than making public giveaway threads'

I guess what i said mostly applies to 'higher level' trackers which are either harder to seed on, have much stricter rules, or have extra expectations that the trackers which give out many invites to good users do not have.

th0r
08-07-2008, 06:48 AM
i would giveaway my sperm

Ali-g
08-07-2008, 07:30 AM
From how I c it u can easily see if someone is doing a GA only for rep points. Jst see their GA if their doing GA to 100+1 trackers then surely their collecting only to then GA and get those rep points

seedman
08-08-2008, 06:21 AM

do you need proofs first?

aysomc
08-08-2008, 11:24 AM
i used to do it to help people because i was getting help as well. sort of keeping the cycle of niceness going but some people have done exactly the opposite of what they told me they would do with the invite so that ended a while ago. also i think all but 1 of the sites im a member at would ram me in the ass if i were to try to give invites away on these forums.

The Flying Cow
08-08-2008, 10:31 PM

To the appropriate bank, presumably.

:happy: