PDA

View Full Version : University bandwidth

clos
08-05-2008, 08:05 PM
here are the speedtest results i obtained from the university i'm going to be attending in the fall

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8318/picture1mm7.th.png (http://img356.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1mm7.png)

so needless to say this university has fat pipes and i want to plug them full of torrents.... :P

not sure what kind of filtering they have in the dorms, but i was planning on using an SSH tunnel to mask the traffic as https (over port 443)

however i think the problem is that they don't filter out or block certain types of P2P traffic, they just watch how much your data your uploading, and in that case i don't know how to proceed

any thoughts?

dunson
08-05-2008, 08:37 PM
My school blocks you from downloading the .torrent...

Other schools actually monitor the bandwith I think...

You might as well try and see. They aren't going to expel you for this.

haydeno
08-05-2008, 08:52 PM
i have heard some schools put BW caps of 5-10gb a week

hitman51
08-05-2008, 09:42 PM
They aren't going to expel you for this.

that is not true...at my brother's school in ny they do expel you...but thats if they catch you

c0njur
08-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Youll have to wait and see. At my school we are limited to 500MB per week :(

Try and find people who are doing it already when you get there, theyll be in the know. Also, if your lucky, UM will have a DC hub :w00t:

sp0ngeb0b
08-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Have you checked to see if there are any bandwidth limits? I browsed around the housing site but couldn't find anything pertaining to limits. I still don't think you should expect to move more than 5-10GB/day without some type of action. Just ask around when you first get there and I'm sure you'll find there's a hub or some other sort of internal filesharing network you can connect to. Every school has one.

aburyach
08-06-2008, 04:12 AM
Most schools now have some sort of filtering in place.
Even if you do manage to obtain the .torrent (most often the connection will time out when trying this) the torrent will not connect to any peers. However, it might be possible to circumvent this with a proxy.

Fibre
08-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Tunnel all dodgy traffic over SSH :)

hitman51
08-06-2008, 02:26 PM
But u see sometimes u get really lucky like my brother's uni where he can download/upload all that he wants and gets around 4 MB/s up and down...they till him if he gets caught he will get expelled..but everyone does it and they dont know

whip22
08-07-2008, 04:13 AM
dude don't torrent at ur university. Universites have VERY strict policies about torrenting. They manage your bandwidth and you WILL be fined for sure.

clos
08-07-2008, 01:09 PM
the university I'm attending is very large, and what they have in place is a system called 'BAYU' (Be Aware Your Uploading), if they notice your bandwidth usage is too much they send you an email notifying your uploading a suspicous amount

at orientation some IT people talked about how a ton of students got DMCA violation's for filesharing on campus, and about how the RIAA and MPAA are targeting college networks....

however, if i run my traffic through SSH, use only private trackers, and enable encryption, i should be fine...