PDA

View Full Version : Please Help with Utorrent

cool skill
08-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I have used Utorrent before fine on this computer with my old Comcast cable connection.

I left my place, and moved in with my uncle. We established AT&T internet connection.
Utorrent isn't downloading anything. Nothing seems to work.
The modem AT&T provided is a Motorola 2210-02-1006 modem.
I am using Windows XP Pro SP2. Not using router.

I successfully setup a static IP address on my computer, and proceeded with all port forwarding instructions for this partilcular modem. Afterwards, I ran a port forward test, and it told me that the port does not appear to be open.

My Utorrent still isn't working. I attempted to download OpenOffice which is typically used to test uTorrent. It isn't working. Nothing is downloading. Please help me get this thing running.

kooftspc11
08-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I have used Utorrent before fine on this computer with my old Comcast cable connection.

I left my place, and moved in with my uncle. We established AT&T internet connection.
Utorrent isn't downloading anything. Nothing seems to work.
The modem AT&T provided is a Motorola 2210-02-1006 modem.
I am using Windows XP Pro SP2. Not using router.

I successfully setup a static IP address on my computer, and proceeded with all port forwarding instructions for this partilcular modem. Afterwards, I ran a port forward test, and it told me that the port does not appear to be open.

My Utorrent still isn't working. I attempted to download OpenOffice which is typically used to test uTorrent. It isn't working. Nothing is downloading. Please help me get this thing running.

you should sue at&t

danio
08-07-2008, 10:51 PM
if you're not blocking the port on your side, and the port appears to be blocked, then it unfortunately seems like it is blocked by your isp. i'm assuming you are using ranom port numbers and not one in the lower ranges? (i'm not an expert on this so i don't know the exact ranges)

cool skill
08-07-2008, 10:54 PM
I did not randomize the port.
I set a specific port in Utorrent, and set it up in the modem.

cool skill
08-07-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm using port 48511. Is that good?

There are also check boxes that I have unchecked. Is this right?
Unchecked "Enable UPnP port mapping"
Uchecked "Enable NAT-PMP port mapping"

I also ran a test for ISP throttling on this site: http://broadband.mpi-sws.mpg.de/transparency/bttest.php

It says that my ISP is not blocking anything. All bitorrent traffic should be clear.
Should I use a different client?

kooftspc11
08-07-2008, 11:22 PM
disable windows firewall service too while you're at it

danio
08-07-2008, 11:28 PM

I also ran a test for ISP throttling on this site: http://broadband.mpi-sws.mpg.de/transparency/bttest.php

It says that my ISP is not blocking anything. All bitorrent traffic should be clear.

the port should be ok.
no stick with utorrent, it's a very good client (if you get it to work ;)). but if you've run a port scan and it says that this port is blocked, the problem shouldn't be caused by the client.

another thing, did you have utorrent running on that port when you made the scan? just making sure that you know you need to run the program using the port when testing, otherwise it will show as closed or blocked :)

cool skill
08-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks.
Windows Firewall was disabled. I've always had it disabled on this computer.
I ran the port forward test on the port which is 48511.
It says that it does not appear to be open.

danio
08-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks.
Windows Firewall was disabled. I've always had it disabled on this computer.
I ran the port forward test on the port which is 48511.
It says that it does not appear to be open.

i'm asking again since you didn't confirm, was utorrent running when you ran the test? if so... i'm out of ideas and hope someone more knowledgable jumps in and helps you out :unsure:

cool skill
08-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Sorry. Yes. Utorrent was running. I ran the test from the Utorrent Speed Guide menu.

Nemrod
08-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Sorry. Yes. Utorrent was running. I ran the test from the Utorrent Speed Guide menu.

Weird! :blink:

The only thing I can see as probable is that you did not open the port in the modem setup page.
If thatīs not the case, like Danio, I ran out of ideas.
Try another port, higher... 63,something... :huh:

deadalive1
08-08-2008, 12:17 AM
So when you check your port in Utorrent it tells you its not open correct?

Have you gone to portforward.com and went thru the steps there in forwarding the port.?

Also make sure your firewall isn't blocking it as well.

seppypom
08-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Try another port, higher... 63,something... :huh:

Just keep it below 65535
but 48511 should be good, but it never hurts to try another.

In the last step of the config for that modem it tell you to enable the application you created using the Service Name. I have a friend that did everything but that step.

cool skill
08-08-2008, 02:10 AM
Yes I followed all of the instructions. For the last step, I selected the service I crated, Utor1. Then I enabled it.

I shall try a higher port #.

The Wanderer
08-08-2008, 07:15 AM
If you followed all the instructions from portforward.com and still not working then maybe it's something wrong with your modem. Make sure you read the troubleshooting manual.

SCR
08-08-2008, 07:25 AM
do you have any other firewall on your pc beside windows firewall ?

DKre8ive1
08-08-2008, 07:27 AM
If you have more then one PC on the network also make sure you are forwarding the ports for the right IP for that pc.

Eargasm
08-08-2008, 07:27 AM
My buddy had DSL and the wireless router.

The following showed that his port was not forwarded correctly:
utorrent > options > speed guide > test if port is forwarded correctly

1) I enabled port-forwarding on the router by following directions at portforward.com

However, utorrent still showed that it was not forwarding

2) his DSL modem also had a built in firewall - fortunately I also setup port forwarding on it via portforward.com instructions

Then utorrent showed it forwarding ok.

cool skill
08-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I got it working.

There is a possibility that regardless of shutting down my security apps, they were still running in the background, and interfering with everything. I uninstalled utorrent, and my security apps.

I then reinstalled utorrent, and followed the portforwarding instructions.
Everything worked perfect.