PDA

View Full Version : Is pirate message that pirate ?

dr jones
08-12-2008, 02:23 PM
I think not,after reading these post

I got a 1 week warning from 1 UK site for PMing someone an offer of an invite to another tracker, so go figure how they knew what was in my PM?? :angry:

So add that to the list, reading my fukkin PMs!! (Private Messages, they are private for a reason!)

Indeed, Private means that exactly.

Itīs about ethics, staff ethics.
At least they should warn users about the possibility that their PM could be read by staff, and used against them. If not itīs unethical.

About the topic, the thing I dislike the most is that script that disables users due to inactivity. There are situations that prevent users to login for certain period of time, many sites understand that and if the user contacts staff then your account is respected, but others donīt. And not always you know if you have to be out due to major causes.
I had an accident few months ago, itīs really really humiliating that being in a hospital bed or at home, like a mummy... full of bandages... all broken, and oneself has to be worried about a damn tracker, ask somebody to login for you, etc.

well i will say this, I have read 3 members PMs in 5 years of running a tracker.

1: A french member was getting death threats on our tracker from his sisters boyfriend, through PMs.

2: Another tracker was spamming BCG saying bad crap about me which was not true (this was when i first started out).

3: When the staff split last year, a member from over there was pming my members saying that their new tracker was going to be better than BCG ever could be, and getting members to sign up. so i checked and banned him, even though hes back now, btw he was not staff of BCG when the spplit happen, he just went with the flow.

That is the only times i have ever looked at anyones PMs, but i must admit it is very easy to do so. just go to the db and query a word in the PM field (like another trackers URL for example, and bingo, you can get everyone thats ever talked about that tracker.)

you could even make a mod that if certain words are PMed, then you get a PM with all the PMs that have that word when they happen.

But yes i do think PMs are private, so i only do it as a very very last resort, and even when i do it, i feel guilty as hell for doing it.

What do you think ?

Artemis
08-12-2008, 02:25 PM
just a quick question, what exactly is a pirate message ? :naughty:

stoi
08-12-2008, 02:26 PM
lol well you already have my view.

yes they are private, and should only be investigated in extreme circumstances, not for the pleasure or amusement of the staff (i am not saying any trackers do that, but if they do its wrong imo)

tnt
08-12-2008, 02:27 PM
you mean private :unsure:

Artemis
08-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Reread the thread heading carefully stoi................. arrrrrrrrrr

stoi
08-12-2008, 02:31 PM
yeah i know, but im not a mean bastard lol i knew what he meant and just didnt feel like making fun of him :)

+ alledgedelly because im a tracker owner, i have to be nice and have a good persona about me, not a C*&T (i hate that word btw) like some members are on here, mind you sometimes im very tempted to act like a one.

Something Else
08-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Check your pirating agreement. arggghhh http://www.devilspanties.com/forums/images/smilies/pirate-capin.gif

dr jones
08-12-2008, 02:42 PM
yeah i know, but im not a mean bastard lol i knew what he meant and just didnt feel like making fun of him :)
. :cry:

Something Else
08-12-2008, 02:43 PM
We're all woundering what you're on about to be honest. :shifty:

dr jones
08-12-2008, 02:46 PM
We're all woundering what you're on about to be honest. :shifty:

nothing,just asking ;)

mrnobody
08-12-2008, 02:59 PM
just a quick question, what exactly is a pirate message ? :naughty:

http://eclectech.co.uk/pantspirate.php

dunson
08-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Your PM cybersex escapades are very pirate.

seppypom
08-12-2008, 03:25 PM
i was expecting to read about pirates here also, i was greatly disappointed!

SgtMajor
08-12-2008, 04:19 PM
i was expecting to read about pirates here also, i was greatly disappointed!

But you wouldn't have been disappointed with a discussion about pilates right?

And PMs are not that private, as I found out, I suppose it's about flagging certain words, you just have to be creative :whistling

Some sites are way too paranoid and insecure about themselves, but have no problems in flooding your PM inbox with 100s of begging PMs for donations, talk about double standards! :angry:

CraigT92
08-12-2008, 06:26 PM
I think PM's are priavte and must not be looked at by any of tracker / sites staff thats why they call it PM (private message) also he means by pirate message a message containing stuff about p2p ext.

ovisan
08-12-2008, 06:46 PM
:dabs: Are PM being read here to?

It is not fair imo, no matter the circumstances.
I mean is funny if yre think about it:
Private messages on Private trackers are not that private after all :blink:

Nway this is a lesson for us all >>> NEVER HAVE 100% TRUST IN A TRACKER NO MATTER HOW PRIVATE IT IS

BOOM
08-12-2008, 10:04 PM
I work for google, and I read yours emails :shifty:

Ev0
08-13-2008, 02:21 PM
:dabs: Are PM being read here to?

There are view pm hacks/mods for vBulletin and IPB software.

seppypom
08-13-2008, 05:20 PM
PM's are nothing more then just another database entry, Whoever has server access can read them.

You should never assume that anything is private. even if no one else is reading it, the person you sent it to can betray you anyway.

djkamikaze
08-14-2008, 07:08 AM
riaa sends pirate messages all the time, to real pirates. If they send one to me, I'll tell them to suck my PRIVATES. learn to spell, please.