PDA

View Full Version : turning my home computer into a seedbox

ukbballrulez33
08-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Hey there, a guy named Eargasm had told me I could take my home computer and turn it into my seedbox and just continue about my buisness as normal (i'm the kid who moved into my college dorm today). If someone could give me directions on how to do this, it would be SO greatly appreciated.

Bionic
08-15-2008, 11:10 PM
But why do you wanna make it a seedbox when all you could get is the same internet connection which you've on that PC..

I duno if im right there..

ryan20021982
08-15-2008, 11:14 PM
The reason someone gets a seedbox is for the speed if you want to make
your pc a seedbox why not just run your torrent program 24/7, would be the exact
same thing.

jokzor
08-15-2008, 11:15 PM
you should lookout for the following software
realvnc
hamachi
peerguardian

those are all that you need to get started up
u install hamachi on both computers, and you must take a note of the ip at the home seedbox
then you install the realvnc server on the seedbox, and the full client in yours, u connect to the box using her hamachi ip, and ur ready to go :)
then u try install peerguardian and u will gonna leave him there cause it's useful

further u might think about completely formating the box hard drive and install only the essencial stuff, having a computer on 24/7 may bring connectivity problems some times, heat and others i dont remember now, you will want it the cleanest and neatest possible, and with one or few tools for benchmarking and checking hardware temperature (then look for lavalys's everest)

Bionic
08-15-2008, 11:22 PM
The reason someone gets a seedbox is for the speed if you want to make
your pc a seedbox why not just run your torrent program 24/7, would be the exact
same thing.

That's what i'm doin, just the same.

jokzor
08-15-2008, 11:24 PM
edit more important of all of that is to have a router, and disable all software firewalls, ashampoos internet securitys, windows firewall and all of that crap :p

ukbballrulez33
08-15-2008, 11:43 PM
the reason i need a seedbox at home is because i'm at college and they pretty much block all torrent activety

greasemonkey
08-16-2008, 12:03 AM
home seedbox = realvnc + pc on 24/7 + utorrent

And if you have money, upgrade to the fastest tier from your ISP.

Bionic
08-16-2008, 12:12 AM
That doesn't mean you've to turn it into a SeedBox, mate..

Activate your PC weather it's XP or Vista or w.e..
Get the Internet Connection Speed that satisfies you from your ISP.. Ofcourse it's always good to get 2MB Down and 2MB UP..
Install uTorrent..
Get something like RealVNC or register in LogMeIn.com, just the same and there..

All you wanna do is download and watch on that PC right and do whatever you want, yea? You don't need to do this and that..

Eargasm
08-16-2008, 01:09 AM
realvnc
hamachi
peerguardian

u install hamachi on both computers, and you must take a note of the ip at the home seedbox
then you install the realvnc server on the seedbox, and the full client in yours, u connect to the box using her hamachi ip, and ur ready to go :)
then u try install peerguardian and u will gonna leave him there cause it's useful

This sounds about right on a winbox, well minus Peer Guardian. It's not really essential unless you are torrenting from a lot of public trackers, in which case you should've been using it to begin with. Or of course just setup remote desktop and install an FTP server. Then you've just gotta keep track of your ip which is where logmein comes in handy.

further u might think about completely formating the box hard drive and install only the essencial stuff, having a computer on 24/7 may bring connectivity problems some times, heat and others i dont remember now, you will want it the cleanest and neatest possible, and with one or few tools for benchmarking and checking hardware temperature (then look for lavalys's everest)

Be sure to, again assuming it's a winbox, set the box to autologin and the remote software to startup on boot, and force a reboot every week or so from the cmd prompt: shutdown -r -f -t 0

ukbballrulez33
08-16-2008, 01:12 AM
alright i think i know how to set up a "seedbox" from my computer at home, but how do i transfer the files that i've got off torrenting from my seedbox computer to my computer here at school? And will it be really slow transfering them? Thanks again for everyones help.

iamKy666
08-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Guy do you have ultra fast pipe?

Eargasm
08-16-2008, 01:18 AM
alright i think i know how to set up a "seedbox" from my computer at home, but how do i transfer the files that i've got off torrenting from my seedbox computer to my computer here at school? And will it be really slow transfering them? Thanks again for everyones help.

If you are at home now, go to speedtest.net and check your upload speed. It will be that slow to retrieve the files you downloaded, or even slower if that connection is already bogged down seeding.

In my scenario, I'd setup an FTP server and transfer that way. Others might recommend setting up a share; however, I'm pretty sure you can't use windows sharing when you don't have a pass set.

Bionic
08-16-2008, 01:24 AM

Weather this stuff you could do:

RapidShare .. If you don't have FTP
FTP .. Best
Remote Control - Drag

Eargasm
08-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Remote Control - Drag

I'm not so sure. I pay a little extra and my upload is blazing fast. It'd be worth it for me. Although, there is no way I'd use it all the time. I'd probably become a usenet/ftp junky like I was before BT.

Also, I was reading up a little bit more about that Hamiachi and it looks pretty cool. Remote Access and Network Drives/Files.

predateur
08-16-2008, 01:52 AM
realvnc
hamachi
peerguardian

or make it easy :
just install TeamViwer on both , you can control your home PC, and also you can use it as FTP

ukbballrulez33
08-16-2008, 01:53 AM
what is ftp?

predateur
08-16-2008, 02:00 AM
what is ftp?
File Transfer Protocol , to transfers data from PC to another PC.

ukbballrulez33
08-16-2008, 04:52 AM
and how do i get ftp? do i have to download it? or should it be a part of the netmeeting or whatever software i use to connect to my home computer?

Eargasm
08-16-2008, 05:03 AM
FTP daemon, or server, needs to be installed on your host machine. FTP client runs on the client machines and connects to the server. Files can be xsferred back and forth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FTP_servers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_FTP_clients

Remember that on the server side, if you are behind a router/firewall, that you forward your ports accordingly.

The other option, the hamiachi, looks terribly easy though. And I wouldn't discredit other options mentioned here either.

forthat
08-16-2008, 11:11 AM
best way is allow u r computer through remote desktop........ ( there was a option in the remote connection u can use the system only from a specified ip address if u r in a campus u might have the a single ip address .)

and more over u home PC must have a constant ip address ....(this is most important )

then u have the seedbox that u want .........u can remote manage the system

jokzor
08-16-2008, 11:21 AM
yes there are a lot of options, remote desktop, logmein services, etc
i personally prefer realvnc + hamachi, i feel more secure, it works on my own and not on out there servers, and i also have a wide range of options so that i can adapt to any situation..
it's pretty simple for me, remote desktop works trough windows xp and i guess is more easily known and exploitable, logmein is some kind of external server, i simply don't like the idea
anyways realvnc + hamachi are easy enough even for the starter, and realvnc server will auto start everytime you reboot the computer

Be sure to, again assuming it's a winbox, set the box to autologin and the remote software to startup on boot, and force a reboot every week or so from the cmd prompt: shutdown -r -f -t 0

i didnt knew this metod, what auto login do you mean? windows xp auto user login? and what is the auto reboot for?

forthat
08-16-2008, 01:12 PM
i personally prefer realvnc + hamachi, i feel more secure, it works on my own and not on out there servers, and i also have a wide range of options so that i can adapt to any situation..
it's pretty simple for me, remote desktop works trough windows xp and i guess is more easily known and exploitable, logmein is some kind of external server, i simply don't like the idea
anyways realvnc + hamachi are easy enough even for the starter, and realvnc server will auto start everytime you reboot the computer

i didnt knew this metod, what auto login do you mean? windows xp auto user login? and what is the auto reboot for?

with remote desktop he can use the SSL or communicate or telnet his system if he was a pro user

with his remote desktop he can remote control his system ........

if he want shut down his system or reboot in the other ruotes this will be difficult

with remote desktop he easily operate it

jokzor
08-16-2008, 02:30 PM

with remote desktop he can use the SSL or communicate or telnet his system if he was a pro user

with his remote desktop he can remote control his system ........

if he want shut down his system or reboot in the other ruotes this will be difficult

with remote desktop he easily operate it

o really? you mean that, with other ruotes it will be difficult to shutdown or reboot is system? can you tell us wich ruotes are you talking about?

Eargasm
08-16-2008, 02:59 PM

It's possible to rdp to winbox after reboot even when that computer is at the login screen. It's not too tricky to setup vnc with Ubuntu so that you can connect at the login screen, either. If you're using other tools that require you to be logged in for them to work, then you'd have to autologin or never reboot. :P

The reboot command mentioned is just what I use to reboot my winbox machines.

jokzor
08-16-2008, 03:04 PM
how do you set autologin btw? it may be useful someday :p

torax34
08-16-2008, 03:20 PM

for XP with TweakUI, no idea for vista

jokzor
08-16-2008, 03:22 PM
bah.. i hate external tweaks

Eargasm
08-16-2008, 03:40 PM

for XP with TweakUI, no idea for vista

For Vista just don't set a user password - You won't be able to use the built in rdp/network sharing though.

not really external, it is from ms: ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

torax34
08-16-2008, 05:21 PM

then regedit it

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

jokzor
08-17-2008, 04:43 AM
lol, thank you :)

edit: it's even in portuguese LOL, really aprecciate it.. didn't knew my english sucked that hard

ukbballrulez33
08-25-2008, 06:20 PM
alright i set up an FTP thing through my internet explorer browser and then tryed to move to files to my computer here at school. It works fine with smaller files, but anything larger than about 130meg it seems to time out. I could cut the files into small pieces and transfer them bit by bit, but that takes forever and is annoying. Anyone know how to get past this? Thanks.

Eargasm
08-25-2008, 06:28 PM
alright i set up an FTP thing through my internet explorer browser and then tryed to move to files to my computer here at school. It works fine with smaller files, but anything larger than about 130meg it seems to time out. I could cut the files into small pieces and transfer them bit by bit, but that takes forever and is annoying. Anyone know how to get past this? Thanks.

As much as I hate them in torrents, RAR'd files are the answer to your problems. Using WinRAR, for example, you can archive your big file(s) and split them up into several smaller files ideal for xsferring via FTP. ;)

Also, MSIE sucks balls. Try a different client like... anybody know a good user-friendly one nowadays? I'm actually using ftp.exe at the moment but I don't ftp much anymore.