PDA

View Full Version : Questions about p2p in the USA

TheManMKD
08-16-2008, 10:02 AM
My friend is going to a college in the USA next year (doesn't know which one), so he was wondering if he could use p2p there. I'm talking about using bittorrent on private trackers only. Will he be able to make sums of lets say 200gb per day? Actually, how big of a pipe they're giving to each dorm room? 50mbps? That's about it. :D

Crutavv
08-16-2008, 10:26 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/Youkai_Lady/bush-pirate.jpg

no problem :dry:

th0r
08-16-2008, 10:34 AM
it depends on where he goes to school and what trackers he uses, really

i attend a tiny college in california and try to keep my downloading to the absolute minimum (sorry ftn ;/) because the pipes at said university are tiny and closely monitored; obviously, if he goes to a larger school there will be more bandwidth being transferred by more people with a slightly less chance of any infractions

but . . . i can almost guarantee that 200 gbs of traffic on any university network will be looked into, and also that most schools are not subject to due process as in-home isps are, e.g. no cease-and-decist letters, no subpoenas, no alternate subscriptions, and in some cases a large fee to get his internet activated again if it gets turned off

my advice for him would be to do his downloading during the hours that the network is being frequented the most, like from 8 am to 11 pm or something, and restrict it or turn it off completely during after hours

yayyyyyy
08-16-2008, 11:49 AM
200gb a day? yeah sure lol

TheManMKD
08-16-2008, 12:01 PM
200gb a day? yeah sure lol

It was a joke, but nvm. Here we have 150gb caps per month, so yeah...imagine that. Thanks for the insight.

mrnobody
08-16-2008, 12:32 PM
mine is pretty big....i mean the university is big...yet they are strict with b/w.

2 gb per day.

anyone going above that limit multiple time has to get their own interwebz :-\

Swift
08-16-2008, 12:37 PM
squirr3l thats fair enough !

WarrenBuffet
08-16-2008, 01:43 PM
mine is pretty big....i mean the university is big...yet they are strict with b/w.

2 gb per day.

anyone going above that limit multiple time has to get their own interwebz :-\

Why do you have all those trackers then?

dunson
08-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't live on campus, so I feel bad for the undergrads who do, but my school will not even allow .torrents to download. I'm assuming based on that rule that someone using a lot of bandwith would be closely monitored.

Meanwhile, at home, I have called my ISP with a problem and had them test the line while I was running torrents and they don't say anything about it. I use about a TB a month probably.

Eargasm
08-16-2008, 03:11 PM

Are you kidding?

I'm uploading 10GB a day on my home connection. Uni connections are known for being way better.

The best way to find out is to call the school and ask them what their policies are. If you want to do preliminary research, search the web for p2p + [school's name]. Some schools are pretty badass, they will even fight to withhold your identity if the media conglomerates are looking to extort you.

mrnobody
08-16-2008, 03:33 PM

never said i live in dorm though, or did i Zaa? :blink:

WarrenBuffet
08-16-2008, 03:36 PM

A/S/L ?

In addition, location and university attending information too plz.

mrnobody
08-16-2008, 03:40 PM

u must be kidding

2 gb b/w goes as quick as a hiccup.

On top of that, they monitor b/w usage on daily basis. On contrary, most univ do it on monthly basis like, they provide you with 150 gb/ month. You can use 100% of that b/w in one day and not use any for rest of the month. However in ours, you are NOT supposed to go above 2 gb/DAY.

A/S/L ?

In addition, location and university attending information too plz.

soz but don't swing that way. I am not ghey like yourself.

luckylittle
08-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Now tell me if there is freedom in US. Bullshit. Tell your friend to move to Europe:-)
I uploaded like 1TB during Christmas break 2006 from university:-)

respawn40
08-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Fuck, the college I may be going to in a few years only allow 1.5GB up or down a WEEK.

seppypom
08-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Fuck, the college I may be going to in a few years only allow 1.5GB up or down a WEEK.

you should really find a school with more bandwidth, that should be the deciding factor when choosing your school :)

punjabimunda
08-18-2008, 12:15 AM

you should really find a school with more bandwidth, that should be the deciding factor when choosing your school :)

lol you MUST BE JOKING....
.....right?

Your lucky these days if your torrent ports aren't blocked. Anything ontop of that is extra.

seppypom
08-18-2008, 12:42 AM

lol you MUST BE JOKING....
.....right?

Your lucky these days if your torrent ports aren't blocked. Anything ontop of that is extra.

of course i was joking.

he should pick the school based on the color of the team uniforms.

kooftspc11
08-18-2008, 07:11 AM
is this the same friend with herpes?

TheManMKD
08-18-2008, 09:06 AM
is this the same friend with herpes?

No, it's the one with syphilis. And seriously, it's not for me, it's for a friend. I can't go to America even if I wanted to, and I'm perfectly fine here.