PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome (Beta) To Be Launched

sumvell
09-02-2008, 09:35 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/picture.php?albumid=35&pictureid=142Google is launching its own web browser finally. Google Chrome as it will be called has been in development for over 2 years. It promises to deliver a browser that Gives more and Crashes less. The beta is supposedly being launched today.Check out the official Google blog for more details.

:view: Homepage: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html

respawn40
09-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Geez. Eventually, Goolge is going to have their own operating system LOL. Which they probably will...

And BTW, here are some leaked screenshots of the browser.... http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/09/01/first-public-screen-captures-of-google-chrome/

Hairbautt
09-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Freakin' cool! I'll be followin' this project to see where it goes.

Skiz
09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Actually, it says it's going to be launched tomorrow. (maybe that's "today" over there?)

LoKaLiRi
09-02-2008, 03:24 PM
thanks mate , this will be rock :D

Skiz
09-02-2008, 03:25 PM
I just can't imagine anything replacing Firefox though. :unsure:

treex2
09-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Actually, it says it's going to be launched tomorrow. (maybe that's "today" over there?)

Well it says the article was posted on Sept. 1st, so tomorrow is today. I heard rumors it was gonna launch around 2pm ET... guess we'll find out in a few minutes.

It'll replace FF for me if it really is as stable as Google says it's going to be. But now that each tab is its own process, I wonder how overall system performance will be affected.

Skiz
09-02-2008, 06:54 PM
It's here! I just typed "/chrome" after the standard URL and it worked. :O

http://www.google.com/chrome

Hairbautt
09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Reviews! Reviews! Reviews!

Skiz
09-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Ultramon doesn't appear to work on it, so I have no real multi-monitor support.
No option to open pages as windows instead of tabs. I fucking hate tabs.
During the install, I selected to import my setting, bookmarks, etc. from Firefox, but I see no bookmarks anywhere. There is only a "Bookmarks bar" which I have no desire for, not to mention that the bar doesn't even have my bookmarks in it. I have no idea what other "settings" it imported.
No ad blocker.
There isn't even a Google search bar. I have to open a new tab every thime I want to search for something. :blink:

So far, I'm rather disappointed. It's a first release beta though and I like most everything Google releases... I have faith that it will get better. Back to FF for now though.

respawn40
09-02-2008, 07:20 PM
^

At least you can get yours to display webpages... I can't get anything to come up.

Funkin'
09-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Wow, pretty cool. I'm sure they'll make this into of the better browsers. Don't know if it'll replace Opera for me, but we'll see.

Sonnentier
09-02-2008, 10:55 PM
This browser feels like a veil, it is simplistic and avoids static elements such as bars.

Skiz
09-02-2008, 11:06 PM
This browser feels like a veil, it is simplistic and avoids static elements such as bars.

Have you not seen the bookmark bar?

tesco
09-02-2008, 11:37 PM
I like it.
If I can just find where my bookmarks are and if it had some sort of adblock feature like the firefox extension then i'd switch.

There isn't even a Google search bar. I have to open a new tab every thime I want to search for something. :blink:
You can just type your search into the address bar and it searches the default engine.
I'm disappointed that doing that doesn't take you to the "I'm feeling lucky" (first) result.

Kyokushin
09-03-2008, 12:19 AM
The design is way better than firefox's, but it lacks customization.

lukee
09-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Firefox FTW. Google Chrome FTL.

Overlord
09-03-2008, 01:28 AM
I'll never use Chrome regularly as long as there's no adblocking feature, which will probably never see the light of day since Google is so dependent on ads. Firefox is stable enough for me I just need to close the browser once in a while to keep memory use down.

sumvell
09-03-2008, 03:35 AM

Just use cntrl+n to open a new window.

I liked the interface but there aren't enough options in the settings. Ad blocker is also needed, I wonder if google will allow or develop extensions like FF, its open source so I guess that shouldn't be a problem. Hope to see a much improved chrome soon.

Appzalien
09-03-2008, 03:39 AM
Its not enough that they want to keep track of every search by every human on the planet for advertising profit reasons. Now they want to follow you everywhere you go as well. Google makes my skin crawl!

kondrae
09-03-2008, 05:27 AM
pretty cool. reminds me of opera alot. ill stick with ff.

review on chrome - http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080902-hands-on-with-chrome-googles-browser-shines-mostly.html

becomehokage
09-03-2008, 10:03 AM
google dominating the world!!!

brotherdoobie
09-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Ultramon doesn't appear to work on it, so I have no real multi-monitor support.
During the install, I selected to import my setting, bookmarks, etc. from Firefox, but I see no bookmarks anywhere. There is only a "Bookmarks bar" which I have no desire for, not to mention that the bar doesn't even have my bookmarks in it. I have no idea what other "settings" it imported.
No ad blocker.

So far, I'm rather disappointed. It's a first release beta though and I like most everything Google releases... I have faith that it will get better. Back to FF for now though.

Tabs > Windows

-bd :snooty:

t0mmy
09-03-2008, 10:48 AM
im using it atm, it looks very clean and simple! i like it

tralalala
09-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I like it.. Fast as feck. Wish it would play videos from the news sites I read (castup videos)

brotherdoobie
09-03-2008, 11:04 AM
I like it.. Fast as feck. Wish it would play videos from the news sites I read (castup videos)

Fox News?

-bd

tralalala
09-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Nah Israeli videos.. Go to www.nana10.co.il and try to run the video on the left.. It only gives sound, no video for some reason and I don't know why :(

Sonnentier
09-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I have seen it on the videos, but my chrome doesn't have it... :unsure:

Hairbautt
09-03-2008, 12:31 PM
You can remove it, ya know...

Blackbeard
09-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Yea it's going to be awesome!

djtymo0
09-03-2008, 01:43 PM
will See What the next

KennyD
09-03-2008, 03:04 PM
It's the first beta release and it's also open source so give it time.. it will flourish :) Even if google themselves wouldn't write an adblocker plugin some developer will... thats the beauty of open-source.
I like it though... it has potential. :)

Also can click and drag a tab down and it will break off into it's own seperate window.. I actually watched the video's on the getting started page. :O For those who haven't. There are a few here http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/features.html

As for bookmarks after you have imported them, they're in the top right hand corner of the 1st page that loads when you start Chrome. There's a little folder icon and it says Other Bookmarks.

After you've started browsing and would like to go to one of your bookmarked site all you have to do is click on the blue plus icon that's right next to the X to close your current tab. It Reopens your homepage where you can select a recently visited site, or go to a bookmarked site.

The search bar is built into the address bar. Just type any thing. Say Pepsi into the address bar and the 1st thing it highlights is Search Google for pepsi.

You can set the default search engine to anything you like. You can add any search engine you want if it's not listed... Just click on the wrench in the upper right hand corner and pick Options.

Now I have to say that's a bold move on Google's part... they make a lot of money off the ads that are shown in their search results..

Hopefully I was able to help a few of you figure it out...
It's still a beta and needs work. I've noticed a couple of sites where they're cut off a big on the right hand side.. So they'll have to work out some bugs...

Skiz
09-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I have seen it on the videos, but my chrome doesn't have it... :unsure:

Go to the wrench icon and select to display it then. ;)

Incognito Mode - Doesn't track browse history. :glag:

http://media.arstechnica.com/news.media/ceiling_browse.png

Anyways, having to look at ads is a deal breaker for me. Surely some 3rd party will make a plugin, even if Google doesn't. For now, it's FF all the way.

BawA
09-03-2008, 05:22 PM
its good so far but unless FF type extension's come along i wont be switching to it.

tralalala
09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Incognito Mode = Pr0n Mode... :naughty:

tesco
09-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Incognito Mode = Pr0n Mode... :naughty:
Obviously.
Google thinks of everything.

Going incognito doesn't affect the behavior of other people, servers, or software. Be wary of:

Websites that collect or share information about you
Internet service providers or employers that track the pages you visit
Malicious software that tracks your keystrokes in exchange for free smileys
Surveillance by secret agents
People standing behind you

:lol:

stacker
09-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Obviously.
Google thinks of everything.

Going incognito doesn't affect the behavior of other people, servers, or software. Be wary of:

Websites that collect or share information about you
Internet service providers or employers that track the pages you visit
Malicious software that tracks your keystrokes in exchange for free smileys
Surveillance by secret agents
People standing behind you
Google

:lol:

:whistling

Funkin'
09-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Well, I've finally got the chance to try it out. And I'm liking it so far. All my bookmarks and passwords imported perfectly.

It is pretty fast. But not as fast FF or Opera is on Linux. It just seems like everything is slower on Windows. So I really hope they make a Linux version in the future.

But all in all it's not a bad beta browser. I'm sure it's going to become really good. And I"m going to make it my default browser on Windows. I hope eventually they make the browser compatible with userscripts(like Opera), because I do miss a couple missing features. Like adblock. This is a must for every browser.

kotya
09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
So I really hope they make a Linux version in the future

On its way :)

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/linux.html

Hairbautt
09-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Just saw this (http://www.betanews.com/article/The_Google_Chrome_EULA_debacle_Whose_content_is_it_anyway/1220545728) at BetaNews:
As of yesterday afternoon, Google struck a clause in the End-User License Agreement for the first beta of its Chrome browser, which quite explicitly said not only that Google had the right to reproduce any content users posted through its services, but that it had the right to pass that data onto third parties.

rytheguy
09-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Hmm...I've been using it for about 5 minutes (which is probably not enough time to give it a fair review), but I don't really see the need for it. It also seems noticeably slower than Firefox. I'm sure the engineers over at Google will work this out before the stable version launches, though.

Aliyans
09-04-2008, 09:41 PM
No ad blocker.

Skizo
1]There is bookmark if u click on star on top left it will open edit/close window then click edit new pop up window open like a box window with bookmark imported..i didnt like the way they did it..i wanted like it in interner explorer or firefox...may be they didnt want it like firefox or IE..

2]And there is adblocker its in different name..its google gears..IF U CHECK in OPTIONS..u will find it:01::whistling

3]What man google browser without google search..i think ur opinions were in a hurry.. the address bar itself is the search window:P

When i tried its pretty fast though ..like firfox n even more:w00t:

Detale
09-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Meh I don't like it

Hairbautt
09-04-2008, 11:06 PM
I agree. No real benefit other than speed. Tho' a good solution to most ads other than adblocker for firefox is your HOSTS file.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm :whistling

Something Else
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Chrome uses more RAM than Firefiox. Fact.

McBride
09-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Freakin' cool!I will try Google browser ...

tesco
09-05-2008, 10:45 PM
2]And there is adblocker its in different name..its google gears..IF U CHECK in OPTIONS..u will find it:01::whistling

Not an ad blocker though, that's a popup blocker.:unsure:

Aliyans
09-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Is there adblocker in any broswser..i think Skizo meant just same by adblocker

tesco
09-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Is there adblocker in any broswser..i think Skizo meant just same by adblocker
No, but firefox has the adblock extension.

Seedright
09-13-2008, 02:30 PM
I didnīt even tried. While it continues being a beta doubt that surpass Firefox.

cristy2200
09-13-2008, 07:54 PM
although it uses more ram, is quite good

womanizer
10-04-2008, 08:52 PM
is it safe

Groovy
10-12-2008, 02:51 PM
firefox vs google chrome !!!!!!!!!!!! another Browser intresting

mwang27
11-04-2008, 03:53 PM
There aren't enough differences between Firefox and Google Chrome. Chrome's search through the address bar seems similar to Firefox's, except bookmarks don't show up first, which would be ideal. Also, certain plugins don't seem to be working, and there is no option to clear data after closing a window. Other than that, there's no real reason to switch other than visual preference...

DanceCreation
11-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Like some people here already wrote , this is a BETA version so I won't even try it .
now I'm using the IE 7 but on my Father's PC I'm with the FF 2 .
my