PDA

View Full Version : Pirated Windows XP fades to black

Detale
11-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Pirated Windows XP fades to black

"Microsoft has announced a significant update to its Windows Genuine Advantage system. In future users of pirated copies Windows XP Professional - which, it says, is the version most commonly stolen - will find that their Windows desktop has been replaced by a plain black screen. In addition, a translucent message will display in the bottom-right hand corner, warning that the copy of Windows "did not pass genuine Windows validation":"
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4996/persistentnotification4pi7.png

"Users will be able to replace the desktop wallpaper if they choose, but after one hour it will change back to the black screen. The notifications produced by previous versions of WGA, which pop up from the system tray, will continue to appear."

"The new notification system mirrors the one used in Windows Vista, but with one crucial difference. A Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed to Zdnet (http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1553) that the new WGA system for XP Professional does not include the "kill switch" that severely limited the abilities of non-validated copies of pre-SP1 Windows Vista."

"With this update to WGA Notifications in Windows XP, we've implemented a couple of related features that draw on the notifications experience we designed for Windows Vista SP1. After installing this version of WGA Notifications on a copy of Windows XP that fails the validation, most users will discover on their next logon that their desktop has changed to a plain black background from whatever was there previously (see below)."
http://blogs.msdn.com/photos/wga/images/8897970/469x375.aspx

"The notification is, however, translucent and also can be clicked through and objects underneath it can be interacted with. In the screenshot here you can see (below) that the Recycle Bin appears underneath our logo. In this case, the Recycle Bin can be selected and moved about or right-clicked. The notification appears above any object on the desktop, but underneath open windows or applications. One of the reasons we've implemented the plain black background is to emphasize this new persistent desktop notification. As with the plain black background, the notification will continue to appear until that copy of Windows is genuine"

"As with previous releases, if a copy of Windows fails validation, notifications will appear above the system tray regularly - and we will continue to have the pre-logon message, the logon interrupt message and the messages that appear from the system tray"

:source: Source: http://www.windowswatch.co.uk/2008/08/pirated-windows.html

Blackbeard
11-20-2008, 02:51 PM
if they go through with this i'm not never gonna buy another product from microsoft again cause i've had and still have one last windows xp pro key left.. they had to void my key cause i did to many reinstalls. :angry:

BawA
11-20-2008, 04:06 PM
isn't this more then two years old and workarounds are always there, almost second after an WGA update, the only difference i can see is black DT.

Detale
11-20-2008, 04:15 PM
No the date on the article says it's from this year August 08

BawA
11-20-2008, 04:57 PM
i mean the WGA ir self is around since couple of years, they only added the black DT thingy to it, point being it wasn't hard to get around it then and wont be now.

eyekey
11-20-2008, 05:41 PM
they should stop embarrassing themselves

thewizeard
11-20-2008, 06:41 PM
isn't this more then two years old and workarounds are always there, almost second after an WGA update, the only difference i can see is black DT.
It's already happening. I have seen it on the neighbours installation. There are better cracks ;) As ever I am in the chat FileSharing|Talk.com on SoulSeek OS

Appzalien
11-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Oh! My God! (insert laugh track here) Every time they do another WGA its got a fix within the week. Either they are stupid or someone in charge has finally flipped their lids, Morons. This is the same thing as starforce and securom in games. It mostly punishes paying customers, accidentally, but has little or no effect on pirated software. I repeat MORONS!

Detale
11-21-2008, 04:00 AM
i mean the WGA ir self is around since couple of years, they only added the black DT thingy to it, point being it wasn't hard to get around it then and wont be now.

Ah I see, yep you're right. Or you could simply use an "unattended build" like one of the Black, Indego, or PontetialXP versions out there they work great and you never need to activate :)

silent h3ro
11-21-2008, 10:29 PM
if they go through with this i'm not never gonna buy another product from microsoft again cause i've had and still have one last windows xp pro key left.. they had to void my key cause i did to many reinstalls. :angry:I hate MS as much as the next guy, but all you need to do is call them up and they will reset your key.

colbert
11-22-2008, 03:23 AM
What a joke. Microsoft should just give up already with WGA.

flashback3r
11-22-2008, 11:36 AM
LOL, you may be a victim :P

clos
11-22-2008, 05:27 PM
yesterday i turned on my xp box to find that i had indeed been found out by microshaft, and the WGA icon thing was glued to the bottom right of my desktop

found an old wga crack in my downloads folder, ran it, rebooted, and now everything is as it should be