PDA

View Full Version : Is Google Chrome a flop?

Skiz
11-30-2008, 11:46 PM
As big as the release hype was surrounding it, it seems to have faded out just as quickly. I was only reminded of the browsers existence when I saw a link to it on the Google search page, so I moseyed on over to the FST stats page to see how many users were enjoying the browser and the results were a bit more than surprising.

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/6739/googlechromeus9.th.jpg (http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=googlechromeus9.jpg)

A site like FST would naturally have users who are more liberal with their selection of browser(s) than most sites on the net, but even still there is no trace of anyone using Google Chrome at all. There is a chance that Google Chrome users' logins have been filed in the "Other/Unknown" category, but still only leaves a maximum amount of Chrome logins at .2%.

Does anyone else run a site that could quote some stats as well?

Cabalo
12-01-2008, 12:03 AM
dropped mine some weeks ago. back to FF3

tesco
12-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Actually that stat page you're using skizo isn't even being used anymore.

We use google analytics now :P.
2.39% used google chrome to visit this site between october 30 an november 29...

Anyway, my opinion?
The browser has good potential if it would just allow more customizations to the layout and setting, and added a plugin system like firefox has.

natedogg
12-01-2008, 01:01 AM
lol more people uses FF2 more then FF3

tesco
12-01-2008, 01:04 AM
lol more people uses FF2 more then FF3
no, his stats are just outdated.

FF3 >80%, FF2 <15%

Skiz
12-01-2008, 01:54 AM

2.39% used google chrome to visit this site between october 30 an november 29...

Anyway, my opinion?
The browser has good potential if it would just allow more customizations to the layout and setting, and added a plugin system like firefox has.

Oh really? :pinch:

But the stats say it goes to the current date. :unsure:

Could you PM a link to the new page?

tesco
12-01-2008, 10:50 PM
I can give you access but it's not public, no way to make it public, so you need to have a google account (sign up here (https://www.google.com/analytics/)) then tell me the login and I will add it to the users who are allowed to view.

Skiz
12-02-2008, 03:44 AM
I can use my GMail account it seems. :)

fstskizo@gmail

tesco
12-06-2008, 12:12 AM
ok, added you, try this now: https://www.google.com/analytics/reporting/?id=1958514

Snee
12-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Anyway, my opinion?

There are skins and stuff, and you can use some FF addons, I think. I stoled some flash player thingie off FF for it and had a super mario skin on.

tobblissful
01-09-2009, 10:44 PM
FF3 got some issues like it crashes on its own. I prefer FF2! Never tried Chrome coz of privacy issues. I read somewhere that google will collect all the stats like sites we visit more often and will use it for google ads.

SoulEdge01
01-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Probably in a few years it will get better, but right now it is lacking in some important features and everyone is looking for a browser compatible with a least 95% of the web sites, Google Chrome is just a work in progress for now.

Blistered
01-10-2009, 05:43 PM
The market share is still relatively small but don't underestimate the possibility of Google to grab a market share! I am in the web build industry and big clients are already asking us to ensure Chrome compatibility for new websites since it is out of beta (from a front end code point of view this isn't a hassle as it is standards compliant). Our client browser compatibility requests are for a large part influenced by their analytics, suggesting they are all seeing a reasonable percentage of Chrome users.

tralalala
01-10-2009, 06:31 PM
I use Chrome and I love it. It's fast as feck, and runs most sites.. Only thing I'd like is more compatibility with sites that are programmed for IE, and some sort of ad-blocker.. Plugins would be pretty nice too.

D1zkK1ll
01-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Google Chrome is really shit don't like it and it is full with bugs:S

Aucto
02-01-2009, 11:52 PM
The two things I like about Chrome when I tried it is you can drag tabs to make windows, and you can resize text areas. Too things, sadly, Firefox doesn't offer :(

tesco
02-02-2009, 12:00 AM
The two things I like about Chrome when I tried it is you can drag tabs to make windows, and you can resize text areas. Too things, sadly, Firefox doesn't offer :(
You can get an addon for firefox to resize text areas.:)

Mystic
02-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Chrome was great when I tried it. The only problem is it doesn't have addons like Firefox does. I would consider switching if only I could keep a few of my basic Firefox addons.

There's not really anything in Chrome that I can't already do in Firefox though, that includes incognito mode.

Inorbaj
02-10-2009, 03:31 AM
I do think Chrome is a good browser, but just not willing to give up Firefox and its customizability for it

crusnik
03-09-2009, 12:07 AM
I use both ff and chrome. Chrome works as a powerful, lightweight browser, with a minimalist design and a powerful javascript engine. However, firefox is necessary for compatibility with some sites and increased functionality.

Tomi
03-24-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm using Chrome as my primary because it's light and fast. I multitask a lot and opening firefox takes up to 3-5 seconds sometimes and hogs a lot more memory than Chrome. Chrome opens in less than half a second.

I still have Firefox around if there are issues with a site though.

Villalltheway
03-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Google has enough money and power ill continue my support for firefox.

lazor
04-28-2009, 05:30 AM
FF3 got some issues like it crashes on its own. I prefer FF2! Never tried Chrome coz of privacy issues. I read somewhere that google will collect all the stats like sites we visit more often and will use it for google ads.

They fixed that error in the TOU almost immediately after it was found, turns out the legal department just copy and pasted the TOU from some other google stuff.

tesco
06-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Incase anyone is interested, google chrome has risen to 4.62% of viewers of this site.
Up from 2.39% last november...

Hairbautt
06-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Anyway, my opinion?
:yep: That's what everyone is waiting for, I agree.

I've tried the new Chrome 3.0 beta since it is rated as the fastest browser and it was real snappy. Completely awesome, but there's still just not that much in terms of customization. I have started using the new Firefox 3.5 RC (2-3) and I'm now satisfied with their speed although it is not as fast as Chrome, it is fast enough for what Firefox offers (Adblock, IE8 theme, Fission, FireGestures, Download Statusbar, LinkVisitor, XMarks, Accelerators, etc. - everything that I've come to expect to use)

For Windows platforms

http://images.betanews.com/media/3505.jpg

tesco
06-28-2009, 02:14 PM
16 times faster than IE :lol:

djlee
06-28-2009, 02:56 PM
problem with chrome is it only offers 1 thing over firefox, and thats its speed. All it takes is Firefox devs to recode the entire browser structure (since chrome is open source i think, they can get a good idea from that) and chrome will go down the pan.

Every other thing chrome has to offer can be done in firefox with a plugin. If chrome makes its own plugin system and it does get a laarge community backing like FF has to make those plugins then i would consider trying it out again.

However, if anyone is keeping up to date on mozilla's new projects you'll have noticed minefield by now. Minefield is most likely gonna be the new mozilla browser (i really wish they would rename it to firefox on completion lol) last time i tried it, it was stupendously quick and responsive. Id even go as far as saying it may even put chrome to shame on speed once its released

tesco
06-28-2009, 03:30 PM
All it takes is Firefox devs to recode the entire browser structure
:lol: It's just that easy huh?

However, if anyone is keeping up to date on mozilla's new projects you'll have noticed minefield by now. Minefield is most likely gonna be the new mozilla browser (i really wish they would rename it to firefox on completion lol) last time i tried it, it was stupendously quick and responsive. Id even go as far as saying it may even put chrome to shame on speed once its released
Minefield is the name Mozilla uses for Firefox nightly builds/alphas.
All versions of firefox during alpha stage or downloaded as a nightly build are called minefield.

So saying you downloaded minefield isn't saying anything.:P

You either downloaded Firefox 3.6, or 3.6.:)

And the name is going to be Firefox when it's released.

xuxoxux
06-28-2009, 04:12 PM
And the name is going to be Firefox when it's released.

I don't believe you.....lol. ( I really do. )

Is it just my really fuzzy and flawed memory, or was there supposed to be some future customization options for Chrome??

djlee
06-28-2009, 08:23 PM
i never said recoding the browser structure would be easy. You just decided to interpret my sentence that way :)

vegasx
07-07-2009, 01:57 AM
It has a lot of potencial

Amber
07-17-2009, 08:19 PM
I have never used it, but i have heard good things about it

brento
07-18-2009, 01:07 AM
I have never used it, but i have heard good things about it

same. i've heard it's a great browser. I'm satisfied with FF however.

turin
07-18-2009, 09:41 PM
I want to try out chrome but haven't gotten around to it yet.
I like my FireFox that much :-)

Dieza
07-19-2009, 03:19 PM
I've heard positive reviews about it also.

I've tried it before but didn't care to much for it. Not sure why.

rikenji
07-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Google Chrome was sort of a flop. It came way too late in the browser race.

bodug60
07-24-2009, 04:36 PM
I dropped Chrome 2 weeks after I downloaded it. I'll stick to my FF; I even got upgrades this am!

r_black
07-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Flock pwns them all.

Skiz
08-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Flock pwns them all.

Care to back that up?

karma1
08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
I love Chrome

but it still needs WYSIWYG

Recursacro
08-10-2009, 03:19 PM
For those saying that Chrome came at a bad time, I don't think that's true. I think Chrome's a good browser, but it definitely needs to loosen up and let us customize. We needed Chrome because the older (and more popular) browsers still had pieces of them that were obsolete. They were made, then added on to. If Micro$oft (oh god) took XP (which, as the index agrees, many people love), and just added to it all of the time, we'd just have a mess.
I think it's good to start fresh sometimes. That's what Chrome did. I'll use Chrome, and hope that it gets more customizable. It isn't a flop unless you make it one. :cry:

dadelor
08-13-2009, 04:32 PM
I havent used it much but i did notice under a high bandwith load it usually pulls up pages faster than firefox did.

Jerusalem
08-13-2009, 08:20 PM
No, not at all. Chrome as a browser is unique and runs pretty darn fast. In all tests and environments, it renders faster than Firefox ( but when you're dealing with milliseconds, its not that big of deal ).

It's not for bad connections however, as the way Chrome is structured it uses alot of system power.

Quin
08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
I'd use it if there was something like adblock. But really, I can't browse w/o that anymore.

Jerusalem
08-20-2009, 01:42 AM
I'd use it if there was something like adblock. But really, I can't browse w/o that anymore.

Well in Chrome, ads can't be forced on you with Javascript. They'll be tab on the bottom of the screen just in case you're looking for a legitimate popup.

GamesoulMaster
08-22-2009, 05:05 AM
I agree that Chrome could use some work. I never gave it a full testing, but I didn't like how rigid it was, and the interface was a bit odd to get used to. Seemed fairly fast. Didn't really see how it handles compatibility with webpage coding, but I'm sure Google probably did a decent job with that too (Edit: Just gave another quick test, and it handles coding pretty well it seems). It has image loading issues though. I noticed that sometimes, images just won't load the first time, and you have to reload the page (as I didn't see an option to "Show picture").

I guess Chrome could be something like a diamond in the raw, eh? More customization (options for native theming and a menu bar would be nice) and some more attention to things that other browsers have had right for years (instead of trying to be better where other browsers tend to fail) would make Chrome a solid contender.

Tv Controls you
11-10-2009, 04:08 AM
why use google chrome when firefox is so good. I would try it but im so happy with firefox. There is not a single thing that firefox is missing, it is the ultimate.

SelfMadeMMAn
11-10-2009, 04:58 AM
Tried chrome and hated every minute of it. Would rather use IE so I welcomed myself back to FF. Feels like home

kooltilldend
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
chrome has its good things as well but until they can figure a way to implement add-ons...it just ain't cutting it for me

peat moss
11-18-2009, 01:51 PM
I was reading that extensions are on the way .

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/16/google-chrome-extensions/

kooltilldend
11-18-2009, 10:11 PM
well extensions can't exactly be built by google and still compete against ff...until the developers chip in, it's still got a long way to go (its a good start however)

Skiz
11-18-2009, 10:28 PM
well extensions can't exactly be built by google and still compete against ff...

What?

kooltilldend
11-18-2009, 10:39 PM
well extensions can't exactly be built by google and still compete against ff...

What?
bloody hell...i really should go to bed now lol

basically I mean, that as long as the extensions are made by external developers (like for FF) and not just developed internally by Google then chrome may have a chance of taking over FF

karachidude
11-23-2009, 09:52 AM
google chrome is the next best thing,they recently removed 4 new crash scenerios and are working on improvements,only if they add some quality plugins to it..it would take over FF :).Just my two cents

jibjibman
11-24-2009, 07:44 PM
I have been using chrome for a few weeks now as opposed to FF, it feels a bit faster to me, but some websites don't display right in it. The speed is good though, very slick browser.

Mike ;)

anon
11-24-2009, 07:51 PM
I have always heard people say that Chrome loads pages much faster than other browsers, partly because of its extremely optimized V8 JavaScript VM - but for me, JS-intensive sites such as Facebook actually load slower and make the browser use 100% CPU. :huh:

Not to mention all its call-homes and tracking IDs, which is why we banned it at SB-I. I'd recommend using Iron or ChromePlus, where they're removed.

karachidude
11-24-2009, 09:45 PM
the load time is comparable,but the cold start time is much much faster :)

sriups
12-03-2009, 02:57 AM
yeah think so.

seomul
12-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Google need to make it user friendly with tools. its just complicated.

Speedo
12-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Firefox have too get veeeeery slow before I give up my extensions.

smartkiller
04-04-2010, 06:03 PM
it is fastest for me but no addons there,so i use firefox

arunatsu
04-05-2010, 04:40 AM
I hate the ridiculously high memory usage of Chrome..

mindlock
04-08-2010, 12:12 PM
I've had nothing but serious problems with Chrome. I used Chrome on my laptop with XP and the Windows XP after two days had some serious problems loading pages, script problems, then wouldn't load any pages at all, went back to FF. I used Chrome on my Desktop with Vista.....everything was fine for a week, then my motherboard fried........Chrome is an evil browser....

Kholdstare
04-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I use chrome with vista as my default browser. It's just waaaaay faster than firefox on my laptop. The homepage links are also very useful. All I really need as far as plugins is adblock, really.

Speedo
04-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I use chrome with vista as my default browser. It's just waaaaay faster than firefox on my laptop. The homepage links are also very useful. All I really need as far as plugins is adblock, really.

Everything is faster than vista. Move your ass to 7.

Kholdstare
04-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Eh. I have a valid copy of Vista and I'd rather not bother with migrating to 7. Where there's an immediate and heavily noticeable speed difference with no hassle in migration, I'll go with the quicker option.

Unthinkable
04-15-2010, 03:10 AM
chrome is lightweight, but when using its addons, chrome take a lot more RAM than ff

napalm1773
04-22-2010, 03:37 AM
Google chrome is a quick browser. One of the things I like about it is the fact that you can google search terms in the website bar.

anon
04-22-2010, 02:18 PM
One of the things I like about it is the fact that you can google search terms in the website bar.

Opera and Firefox can also do that :lol:

Expeto
04-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Even thought I don't like to admit, like many of us here I'm addicted to my plugins,
we are more liberal with our selection of browser, so we choosed the firefox when there wasn't lots of options, and we got addicted.
I really feel myself naked without noscript, my eyes hurts without adblock, I need my Tab Mix Plus, I need my FireFTP, I need my bookmark managers. There is no way I can do without them.
But if google gives little incentive to developers it will have a better chance.

shadowkahn
04-23-2010, 02:20 AM
google chrome worked ok for me a while thought it was lightweight and fast browser until it got buggy on me i switch back to the dependable firefox

phauk
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
To be honest, as much as I like google, I have not even tried Chrome.. and I don't plan to either.. I have ff setup the way I like it, and it does everything it needs to - has been reliable for years - you know the old saying... if somethings not broke... ;)

ahstanford
04-27-2010, 12:44 AM
Chrome is still young but it's definitely not a flop. It's actually one of the better and faster browsers on the market. I personally use Opera 10.50 because it offers a few features that Chrome just doesn't have yet due to being young. Since Chrome does now have Ad blocking support and extensions it's in the chase as much as anybody. Before long, I'll probably be a Chrome user myself.

cappy
04-27-2010, 03:17 AM
i tried it , when compared 2 ff its not that grt

Jej
04-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Chrome is nice and fast imo, but I prefer using FF or Opera
(die IE, die !!)

xCode
04-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Chrome is the best

Skiz
04-27-2010, 08:12 PM