PDA

View Full Version : 12 Year Old Sued!

Dapadipz
09-09-2003, 05:35 PM
The music industry has turned its big legal guns on Internet music-swappers - including a 12-year-old Upper West Side girl who thought downloading songs was fun.

Brianna LaHara said she was frightened to learn she was among the hundreds of people sued yesterday by giant music companies in federal courts around the country. "I got really scared. My stomach is all turning," Brianna said last night at the city Housing Authority apartment on West 84th Street where she lives with her mom and her 9-year-old brother.

"I thought it was OK to download music because my mom paid a service fee for it. Out of all people, why did they pick me?"

Brianna's mom, Sylvia Torres, said the lawsuit was "a total shock." "My daughter was on the verge of tears when she found out about this," Torres said.

The family signed up for the Kazaa music-swapping service three months ago, and paid a $29.99 service charge.

Usually, they listen to songs without recording them. "There's a lot of music there, but we just listen to it and let it go," Torres said.

http://www.neowin.net/images/news/logos/newyorkpost-front090903.gif

loz
09-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Paid a service charge?!
Scammers :angry:

asmithz
09-09-2003, 07:43 PM
What the duce, how can they sue someone so young. That fucked up.

loz
09-09-2003, 07:45 PM
In one way this will help people see what bastards the RIAA really are & they only give a shit about more money :(

Won't be buying any more CDs in a hurry (well maybe CD-Rs/Rws :lol: )

asmithz
09-09-2003, 08:05 PM
I havent bought any cd's since they have done this crap.

Gre1
09-09-2003, 08:10 PM
That is fucked up but I wanna know how did they get caught if they were paying though I guess the RIAA is just determined to catch people they are subscribing to kazaa just to catch them. It doesn't really add up but I hope they don't have to pay much. :( :angry: At the weak ass music industry

downloader2008
09-09-2003, 09:45 PM
You can read the same article here (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/kr/20030909/lo_krnewyork/suedforasong) except in this one the mother is speaking out at the RIAA near the end of the article. I mean, how low can the RIAA go?

"If this was something we were profiting from, that's one thing. But we were just listening and sometimes dancing to the music," said the mother. For once this quote was publicized....

EnJoi
09-09-2003, 11:59 PM
dumb ugly bitch HAAHAHAHAHAHA

DasScoot
09-10-2003, 01:48 AM
On one hand I'm glad it's all the stupid users of normal Kazaa who're providing us with all this flak. I mean, paying $30 for Kazaa?

But a 12 year old kid, that's pretty low.

slick nick
09-10-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Gre1@9 September 2003 - 21:10
That is fucked up but I wanna know how did they get caught if they were paying though I guess the RIAA is just determined to catch people they are subscribing to kazaa just to catch them. It doesn't really add up but I hope they don't have to pay much. :( :angry: At the weak ass music industry
doesn't matter whether you pay for kazaa's new service. they don't have the okay to continue facilitating filesharing. that's why i think it's absurd besides simply asking people to pay to even do this when people can still get sued.

james_bond_rulez
09-10-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Dapadipz@9 September 2003 - 17:35

The music industry has turned its big legal guns on Internet music-swappers - including a 12-year-old Upper West Side girl who thought downloading songs was fun.

Brianna LaHara said she was frightened to learn she was among the hundreds of people sued yesterday by giant music companies in federal courts around the country. "I got really scared. My stomach is all turning," Brianna said last night at the city Housing Authority apartment on West 84th Street where she lives with her mom and her 9-year-old brother.

"I thought it was OK to download music because my mom paid a service fee for it. Out of all people, why did they pick me?"

Brianna's mom, Sylvia Torres, said the lawsuit was "a total shock." "My daughter was on the verge of tears when she found out about this," Torres said.

The family signed up for the Kazaa music-swapping service three months ago, and paid a $29.99 service charge.

Usually, they listen to songs without recording them. "There's a lot of music there, but we just listen to it and let it go," Torres said.

http://www.neowin.net/images/news/logos/newyorkpost-front090903.gif
so what's next for the RIAA? molest a little baby?

it comes as no suprise at all

ploink
09-10-2003, 04:39 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/0...ment/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/09/music.swap.settlement/index.html)

Adster
09-10-2003, 04:46 AM
umm I ike how they use the word sue no one will ever be able to pay the fines let alone a 12 year old girl they will get nowhere

wormless
09-10-2003, 05:07 AM
the parents will have2 pay her fine,how is it fun downloadin music?

RealitY
09-10-2003, 05:30 AM
What Judge does the AA intend on getting that will actually Fine and hold her parents responsible?? That would be a real career ender. In addition this is also an all time low for Sharman Networks, their scum stinls as bad as the AA does, since I'm guessing this is the new KaZaaPlus (http://www.kazaaplus.com/) perhaps, though maybe not.

mogadishu
09-10-2003, 05:35 AM
i live in ny.. this story was on the cover of the daily news and the post.. good coverage.

RealitY
09-10-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by ploink@10 September 2003 - 05:39
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/0...ment/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/09/music.swap.settlement/index.html)

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A day after being sued for illegally sharing music files through the Internet, a 12-year-old girl has settled with the Recording Industry Association of America.

She's the first of 261 defendants to settle their lawsuits with the association.

Brianna LaHara agreed Tuesday to pay $2,000, or about $2 per song she allegedly shared.

"I am sorry for what I have done," LaHara said. "I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love."

The suit claimed LaHara had been offering more than 1,000 songs on the Internet, using the Kazaa file-sharing service.

The RIAA said it was pleased with the settlement. There are 260 cases still pending.

"We're trying to send a strong message that you are not anonymous when you participate in peer-to-peer file-sharing and that the illegal distribution of copyrighted music has consequences," said Mitch Bainwol, RIAA chairman and chief executive officer. "And as this case illustrates, parents need to be aware of what their children are doing on their computers."

Monday, RIAA filed lawsuits against 261 individual Internet music file-sharers and announced an amnesty program for most people who admit they illegally shared music files through the Internet. The amnesty would only offer protection for songs represented by the RIAA and not from publishers, musicians or others with rights to songs.
Will we ever see what is to come from a trial.
Will everone settle leaving this whole thing as rather still questionable...

DasScoot
09-10-2003, 06:31 AM
You didn't expect the kid to be the one to fight them, did you? :P

mogadishu
09-10-2003, 06:33 AM
god i mean pick on someone your own size.. she wasnt even have intent.. go after one of us.. we share on purpose. go after me mr. sherman.

kylman5000
09-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Grow up. Stop thinking the RIAA is the devil. You can give me all the reasons you want, but stealing is stealing. I dont care how you look at it. Sence when do we not have copyright laws?

RealitY
09-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by DasScoot@10 September 2003 - 07:31
You didn't expect the kid to be the one to fight them, did you? :P
Nope...

Sparkle1984
09-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Grow up. Stop thinking the RIAA is the devil. You can give me all the reasons you want, but stealing is stealing. I dont care how you look at it. Sence when do we not have copyright laws?

:( What are you doing here then?
You can give me all the reasons you want, but sharing is sharing. I don't care how you look at it. Since when was it considered wrong to share our possessions?!

j4y3m
09-10-2003, 03:34 PM
People Are Never Going To Stop Sharing Files No Matter How Hard You make It Filesharings Here To Stay!

Gutter
09-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by stupidguy@10 September 2003 - 15:34
People Are Never Going To Stop Sharing Files No Matter How Hard You make It Filesharings Here To Stay!
Very well put. We can even share files without even using the internet.

slick nick
09-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@10 September 2003 - 16:32
You can give me all the reasons you want, but sharing is sharing. I don't care how you look at it. Since when was it considered wrong to share our possessions?!
sharing is mass distributing copyrighted material you don't own or have a license to distribute. making a copy a cd you bought for yourself and then deciding to share it illegal distribution. sharing is stealing. it's wrong when your possessions have been aquired through theft or copyright violation and you are dissiminating this stolen copyrighted property. you don't have a right to either download copyrighted material or upload it unless.

as for why i'm here though you asked someone else, i have no qualms about dl'ing upl'ing or any other crime where a person isn't physically injured by my actions.

showstopper496
09-10-2003, 10:50 PM
downloading from piolet now no more fucking kazaa

Warrior500
09-10-2003, 11:51 PM
well we cant do much to stop it, but signing a petition against it is the only way, get everyone in ur city to do so, put a ad in the newspaper and fight it

callum
09-11-2003, 01:14 AM
How did they know it was the twelve year old downloading and not her parents?
Her parents must have used their credit card to buy kazaa and pay for the internet service. So how did they end up with her name?
Did her parents grass her up to the riaa?

Mik3ll
09-11-2003, 01:55 AM
them sueing a 12 yr old girl, that got my parents pissed off.

hopefully that got a lot more parents mad and we have more people on our side.

vader
09-11-2003, 07:46 AM
Stop calling for war with the Riaa, it's to late it's already begun. They have taken their first shots and have wounded many. Instead, fire back, continue signing petitions speaking up, and out. But most of all don't buy a cd for 6 months unless its cdr or dvd blanks. Infact, if you can afford to buy 1 or 2 extra lots of blanks and shoot those sales up while movies and music plumet the impact would speak volumes. Do not support other avenues that could rival p2p or give choices to a blind institution such as the record and movie industry, like tivo and direct streaming. If you do you are supporting your defeat. We should find a strategy, we are so many, we could do anything if we somehow pooled our voices over and over, pull at the artists pocket book by noy buying ...see what happens to RIAA pressure. Anyway it should not be to long before A GROUP OF HACKER"S LAUNCH ATTACKS ON RIAA .........ooops did I say that out loud?........Keep p2p alive and strong and we will crush them in their bios..........lol RIAA's gonna need alot of typewritters soon enough.....lol :D

RealitY
09-11-2003, 07:55 AM
I might also add when buying CDR's, don't buy from companys such as Sony, why not take it all out, if your gonna boycott than do it from all angles that are available.

dumdum
09-11-2003, 01:20 PM
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/01/80/59/image_159801.gif

downloader2008
09-11-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by showstopper496@10 September 2003 - 17:50
downloading from piolet now no more fucking kazaa
Yep.... the Fasttrack network is getting destroyed by the RIAA and viruses. :(