PDA

View Full Version : Confuzed About This Riaa Crap

leeferdude
09-09-2003, 10:39 PM
Okay, so they are suing everyone? I have heard many stories as to how they are getting them. One friend says that if you download certain songs, then it sends your IP to the RIAA and another friend says that if you let people download, then the RIAA might get you like that. The thing is that all I have seen are user names, and most are on Kazaa, so if I am on K-Lite, how would they get me since everyone uses the www.k-lite.tk_Kazaa_Lite@kazaa name? Also, another friend says they passed a law in Texas (I live there) saying it is illegal to download music or something. Damn I'm stupid. Someone please help me.

DasScoot
09-10-2003, 01:41 AM
Here's how it works: Every file has a 'hash' that is used to identify that file on the network. The RIAA searches the network and finds these hashes that users are sharing, compares them to known hashes of their songs on the network, and if there's matches they'll mark down your info. Then they send a supeana(sp) to your ISP to get your information, at which point they sue. They identify you by your IP, not your username, which is why a few of the ones sued have been like 'defaultuser@kazaa' etc. And it is copyright infringement virtually everywhere on the planet to download music without the permission of the copyright owner.

Using KLite has built-in protections like blocking known IPs of the *AAs, and making it so it's impossible to get a list of your shared files, meaning they'll get at most a few hits, which is hardly worth suing over when the next guy (dumb normal Kazaa user) has thousands.

leeferdude
09-10-2003, 01:53 AM
Oh, i understand now. Thanks for the help bro

Supernatural
09-10-2003, 02:42 AM
I have previously posted a link to an article that explains how the RIAA catches file swappers here (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=65473).

nemeanlion12
09-10-2003, 08:07 PM
so how do we know if we can be attacked? does having a web router/firewall help? will kazaa lite help too?

Supernatural
09-11-2003, 01:34 AM
A firewall wont protect you because they don't "hack" into your computer. They use Kazaa itself to search for file sharers. Kazaa Lite K++ blocks all the known RIAA IP ranges. Even if an unkown IP finds you, K-Lite prevents users from getting a list of your shared files. They would have insufficient proof against you.

leeferdude
09-11-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Supernatural@11 September 2003 - 01:34
A firewall wont protect you because they don't "hack" into your computer. They use Kazaa itself to search for file sharers. Kazaa Lite K++ blocks all the known RIAA IP ranges. Even if an unkown IP finds you, K-Lite prevents users from getting a list of your shared files. They would have insufficient proof against you.
So they cant get us from downloading a song. My friend said they have songs that take your IP adress... :unsure:

DasScoot
09-11-2003, 03:08 AM
That would be because your friend is a dumbass.

Adster
09-11-2003, 03:10 AM
so question how does the RIAA know if someone is from the US with the IP name so for example if they resaerch the IP name I find out its say someone from the UK then do they just say f*ck it lets not worry?

I'mScared
09-11-2003, 03:51 AM
Do they only care about sharing? For now atleast? And what can they do if i just rip out my hard drive before they get to my computer?

DasScoot
09-11-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Adster@11 September 2003 - 03:10
so question how does the RIAA know if someone is from the US with the IP name so for example if they resaerch the IP name I find out its say someone from the UK then do they just say f*ck it lets not worry?
IPs can be traced to ISPs, which have definite addresses. And I'd guess they either discard it, because they have enough as it is, or they pass it on to the local authority.

DasScoot
09-11-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by I'mScared@11 September 2003 - 03:51
Do they only care about sharing? For now atleast? And what can they do if i just rip out my hard drive before they get to my computer?
They certainly care about downloaders, but if all you do is download it's harder for them to catch you.

If you mean 'get to you' electronically, heh, you're fucked cause there's no warning. And if you mean physically, you'd better have a good alibi cause if you 'just happened' to lose your hard drive a few minutes after recieving the lawsuit that'd look pretty suspicious. :P And they'd still have their records regardless.

Supernatural
09-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Adster@10 September 2003 - 22:10
The RIAA issues subpoenas for the identitys of the filesharers. So it's really the ISP's fault you get sued. They rat you out. :angry:

nemeanlion12
09-11-2003, 07:54 PM
so are we at risk?

DasScoot
09-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Supernatural+11 September 2003 - 15:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Supernatural @ 11 September 2003 - 15:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Adster@10 September 2003 - 22:10
The RIAA issues subpoenas for the identitys of the filesharers. So it&#39;s really the ISP&#39;s fault you get sued. They rat you out. :angry: [/b][/quote]
Most of them fight it, it&#39;s not their fault that they&#39;re legally obligated to hand it over.

so are we at risk?

Yes. Your odds of dying of cancer this year are twice as high as your odds of getting sued by the RIAA, but technically yes, we are at risk.