PDA

View Full Version : OiNK Admin and Uploaders Appear in Court

Detale
12-16-2008, 09:43 AM
http://torrentfreak.com//images/flyingpig.jpg
Yesterday, well over a year since the initial raids, Alan Ellis the ex-admin of OiNK, appeared in crown court along with five users accused of uploading music via the now-defunct BitTorrent tracker. Ellis appeared charged with conspiracy to defraud, while the others faced copyright charges.

In October 2007, Operation Ark Royal achieved its aims. OiNK, one of the biggest and probably the most prestigious tracker in the world, was shut down in a joint effort by British and Dutch law enforcement.

Site administrator Alan Ellis, 25, was arrested immediately and eventually charged with conspiracy to defraud.
Five others, who were arrested months later, were accused of uploading music to others via the site.

They were charged with copyright infringement offenses.
Yesterday, all six appeared at Teesside Crown Court in the UK. Ellis faced a charge of conspiracy to defraud, while the others - Steven Diprose, 21, from Staines, London, James Garner, 19, from Winsford, Cheshire, Michael Myers, 34, of Brough in North Humberside, Mark Tugwell, 19, from Caister near Great Yarmouth, Norfolk and Matthew Wyatt, 19, a student in London but originally from Stamford, Lincolnshire - all faced charges of copyright infringement.

Ellis did not enter a plea, and his case has been adjourned until 23 March 2009. The five uploaders entered pleas, and their hearing will continue at a later stage. All five uploaders were accused of making music albums available on OiNK, and according to insider information, at least four of them pleaded guilty.

:source: Source: http://torrentfreak.com/oink-admin-and-uploaders-appear-in-crown-court-081213/

Funkin'
12-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Such bullshit.

mbucari1
12-17-2008, 03:39 AM
Well, what did you expect? They broke the law and were caught. Now they're paying for it.

Cabalo
12-17-2008, 04:07 AM
music sites definitely draw too much heat on them.
i could never sleep assured, if i was an admin at either waffles or what.

Funkin'
12-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Well, what did you expect? They broke the law and were caught. Now they're paying for it.

Lets see if you have that same attitude if you ever get busted. :rolleyes:

iEATlilKIDS
12-18-2008, 03:41 PM
fight the pwr
no justice no peace

TakeMS
12-18-2008, 04:30 PM
hope they catch jail cuz me never have acc there, so i no sorry feel them.

Detale
12-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Let me tell you, you guys SUCK. The are risking themselves to bring others music. If you would have had an acct you would have loved the site and used it like the rest of us. Very sympathetic to the cause. Nice to know and I'll remember these posts when I see you speaking about "community".

GuitarLegend
12-18-2008, 08:38 PM
to bad for them...good luck in prison and don't let the bar of soap fall =)

mbucari1
12-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Lets see if you have that same attitude if you ever get busted. :rolleyes:If I ever get caught, I'll be yelling and screaming "NOT FAIR!". But the truth is that it's perfectly fair. I Would be arrested for doing something which I knew from the start was illegal. I'd be angry and frightened, but it would be my own fault.

iEATlilKIDS
12-18-2008, 10:55 PM
the part ur kinda missing here is that those oink fellas were making a darn good service for ppl such as ur self and u would expect that they would get some r.e.s.p.e.c.t now that the man is slamming that book on em , but evidently not all of ya seem to dispance some gretitude.
just goes to show ya what a reched beast we humans are

Funkin'
12-19-2008, 12:10 PM
If I ever get caught, I'll be yelling and screaming "NOT FAIR!". But the truth is that it's perfectly fair. I Would be arrested for doing something which I knew from the start was illegal. I'd be angry and frightened, but it would be my own fault.

I hear ya'. If any one of us ever got caught for downloading(which I hope none of us ever do, even the few I cannot stand on this site or other sites...I hope they never get caught either), we really have noone to blame but ourselves. We all know the risks that come with downloading or uploading even a single copyrighted file.

But...as Detale mentioned, the owner and uploaders is what made OiNK a pretty special tracker. So I feel really bad for these guys. Especially since it looks like they may get hit with a pretty harsh punishment.

cinephilia
12-19-2008, 01:18 PM
maybe we have none to blame but ourselves if we get caught, but music & film industries can feel more than guilty about piracy progression.

FACE_TO_FACE
12-19-2008, 07:03 PM

what a stupid comment man :sick:

oink was the best music tracker around, free quality music!

Enzo
12-20-2008, 07:38 PM

Nice comment really.. I hope you catch jail too..

Funkin'
12-20-2008, 08:33 PM
^ He's really not a very bright person. These type of comments have become expected from him.

mbucari1
12-21-2008, 02:34 AM
If I ever get caught, I'll be yelling and screaming "NOT FAIR!". But the truth is that it's perfectly fair. I Would be arrested for doing something which I knew from the start was illegal. I'd be angry and frightened, but it would be my own fault.

I hear ya'. If any one of us ever got caught for downloading(which I hope none of us ever do, even the few I cannot stand on this site or other sites...I hope they never get caught either), we really have noone to blame but ourselves. We all know the risks that come with downloading or uploading even a single copyrighted file.

But...as Detale mentioned, the owner and uploaders is what made OiNK a pretty special tracker. So I feel really bad for these guys. Especially since it looks like they may get hit with a pretty harsh punishment.Don't get me wrong, I loved oink and wish that no one was in trouble. However, I'm not surprised that they are. Though I do hope that such a thing never happens again.

AWESOMENess
12-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Let me tell you, you guys SUCK. The are risking themselves to bring others music. If you would have had an acct you would have loved the site and used it like the rest of us. Very sympathetic to the cause. Nice to know and I'll remember these posts when I see you speaking about "community".

Detale, your right. You guys get some of the music you have right now cause of these people in court. I didn't have the site for long, but hell I wouldn't do the things they do, risking getting caught for others.

Peanut
12-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Such bullshit.
agree