PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Chances...

AznRocky
09-10-2003, 10:49 PM
whats the chances of getting sued for downloading music,software,games,music ETC? my friend just got sued...... and i'm pretty much scared to death!

j4y3m
09-10-2003, 10:50 PM
1/1000000

MetroStars
09-10-2003, 11:24 PM
my friend just got sued......

I don't buy that at all

D!mensio_x
09-10-2003, 11:29 PM
my friend just got sued......

:ph34r: Yeah, right.

Do you know another good joke..... :lol:

MetroStars
09-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Yeah, right.

Do you know another good joke.....

Yep i agree with u D!mensio, wot a load of porkies that guy is telling

D!mensio_x
09-10-2003, 11:43 PM
:ph34r: I really don't understand why people would post such crap.

Are they trying to create a panic, are they so paranoid that they believe their own crap, or are they just so pathetic that they have to post something like this to seem interesting?

@ AznRocky
A word of advice: STOP POSTING CRAP!!! :angry:

AznRocky
09-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by D!mensio_x@10 September 2003 - 23:43
:ph34r: I really don't understand why people would post such crap.

Are they trying to create a panic, are they so paranoid that they believe their own crap, or are they just so pathetic that they have to post something like this to seem interesting?

@ AznRocky
A word of advice: STOP POSTING CRAP!!!  :angry:
its in the news paper my teacher told me that his sister in law and niece got sued... and if u dont belive then stfu!
and all i wanted was a answer not your opinion

AznRocky
09-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Are they trying to create a panic, are they so paranoid that they believe their own crap, or are they just so pathetic that they have to post something like this to seem interesting? sorry if i was creating a panic :(

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...4.DTL&type=tech (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/09/09/MN81934.DTL&type=tech)

this is the article

callum
09-11-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by AznRocky@11 September 2003 - 01:02

Are they trying to create a panic, are they so paranoid that they believe their own crap, or are they just so pathetic that they have to post something like this to seem interesting? sorry if i was creating a panic :(

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...4.DTL&type=tech (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/09/09/MN81934.DTL&type=tech)

this is the article
I thought you said your friend got sued, then it was your teachers sister inlaw and niece.

AznRocky
09-11-2003, 01:41 AM
which they are my friend :)

3rd gen noob
09-11-2003, 01:45 AM
can i be your friend?
i'll give you money

<_<

callum
09-11-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@11 September 2003 - 01:45
can i be your friend?
i&#39;ll give you money

<_<
Give the money to his friends, they&#39;re all being sued. :D

supersonic
09-11-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by AznRocky@10 September 2003 - 20:41
which they are my friend :)
U R from the RIAA, so the RIAA is your only friend. I don&#39;t believe u & stfu.

Rappy
09-11-2003, 06:02 PM
The chances are slim but ur screwed if its u well one positive thing you can get from being picked is u get your 15 minutes of fame lol

slick nick
09-11-2003, 07:24 PM
yeah he&#39;s riaa with 500 post and nearly 5 months of membership right? :rolleyes: if you are using k++ with the privacy patch and ip&#39;s blocked slim to nil. if you are using plain kazaa you are holding your greased up bung hole open and tell the riaa to go to town on you&#33; these are the people who are most likely getting fucked. remember we k++ users are the minority, this is serving the purpose of scaring off noobs and novices who haven&#39;t learned of bad ip range blocking etc. since sharman doesn&#39;t acre about it&#39;s users kazaa should go under or just become what it is for most now. a place to get fast dvd rips of movies.

D!mensio_x
09-11-2003, 10:27 PM

:ph34r: First of all: if you post such a pile of crap, people will give you their opinion, whether you asked for it or not. If you don&#39;t like it, then you can just go and F&#33;#% yourself. :angry:

Second:
I read the lame article on the website you posted and I really think that that&#39;s a load of crap too. Do you really think that the Riaa targets people that have only 1000 mp3&#39;s on their harddrive, that&#39;s just about 4 or 5 Gb worth of music. There are a hell of a lot more people that are sharing a hell of a lot more than 1000 songs. Why don&#39;t these people get sued? <_<

Third:
Do you really think that the Riaa can sue thousands of people. How would they go about that? Sue us each separately. Than they should start building a hell of a lot more courtrooms in the US, because that will take a hell of a lot of space and time to sue each individual user separately. On the otherhand they can sue people together, but then they would have to make it a public manifestation. Because what will happen if everyone decides to go to court? There will be a courtroom with a judge, some more people that work for the court, about, let&#39;s say, 10 lawyers from the Riaa and other anti-p2p-organisations and then there would be hundreds of accused people, each with their own lawyers at the same time in court. That would be a great show&#33; :lol:

So, it&#39;s not very likely that they are going to sue thousands of users....

And last of all:
I find it very unlikely, that the Riaa will go through all the trouble of finding users that are sharing musicfiles illegally and then settle the dispute outside of the courtroom for merely &#036;3000. It cost them a hell of a lot more to track down all these people and sue them. <_<

So, excuse me if I don&#39;t believe all this shit. No offence, buddy. ;)

DasScoot
09-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by D&#33;mensio_x@11 September 2003 - 22:27

:ph34r: First of all: if you post such a pile of crap, people will give you their opinion, whether you asked for it or not. If you don&#39;t like it, then you can just go and F&#33;#% yourself. :angry:

Second:
I read the lame article on the website you posted and I really think that that&#39;s a load of crap too. Do you really think that the Riaa targets people that have only 1000 mp3&#39;s on their harddrive, that&#39;s just about 4 or 5 Gb worth of music. There are a hell of a lot more people that are sharing a hell of a lot more than 1000 songs. Why don&#39;t these people get sued? <_<

Third:
Do you really think that the Riaa can sue thousands of people. How would they go about that? Sue us each separately. Than they should start building a hell of a lot more courtrooms in the US, because that will take a hell of a lot of space and time to sue each individual user separately. On the otherhand they can sue people together, but then they would have to make it a public manifestation. Because what will happen if everyone decides to go to court? There will be a courtroom with a judge, some more people that work for the court, about, let&#39;s say, 10 lawyers from the Riaa and other anti-p2p-organisations and then there would be hundreds of accused people, each with their own lawyers at the same time in court. That would be a great show&#33; :lol:

So, it&#39;s not very likely that they are going to sue thousands of users....

And last of all:
I find it very unlikely, that the Riaa will go through all the trouble of finding users that are sharing musicfiles illegally and then settle the dispute outside of the courtroom for merely &#036;3000. It cost them a hell of a lot more to track down all these people and sue them. <_<

So, excuse me if I don&#39;t believe all this shit. No offence, buddy. ;)
I didn&#39;t read the article, but you&#39;re wrong on a lot of counts.

1. Well, ok.

2. 1000 mp3s? Heh, the RIAA will (and has) sued over a lot less than that. 38 MBs of music has been the smallest I&#39;ve heard of so far.

3. Er, yea, they&#39;re already into the hundreds, if not thousands, of lawsuits filed. Maybe you meant millions...?

4. &#036;3000 is probably about average. Even the worst offenders are probably getting off with &#036;15-20,000 or less. In fact, they want people to settle out of court rather than fight it.

DasScoot
09-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by AznRocky@10 September 2003 - 22:49
whats the chances of getting sued for downloading music,software,games,music ETC? my friend just got sued...... and i&#39;m pretty much scared to death&#33;
Your friend was probably a dumbass, using regular Kazaa and openly sharing the RIAA&#39;s favorite titles to search for. In fact, in every story I&#39;ve heard of the people being sued, the people being sued are dumbasses. So just be smart and you&#39;ll be safe.

Edit: I have now read the article, and can confirm that your friend was, in fact, a dumbass.

Friends don&#39;t let friends be dumbasses.

aserty
09-11-2003, 10:46 PM
The chances of getting sued are almost nothing. With over 100 million file sharers and 8% of those having more then 1,000 downloads, there relly is very little chance.

cosmic doobie
09-11-2003, 10:47 PM
If the ISP&#39;s turn in their customers it&#39;s them that will ultimately lose big bucks&#33;

D!mensio_x
09-12-2003, 01:43 AM
I didn&#39;t read the article, but you&#39;re wrong on a lot of counts.

1. Well, ok.

2. 1000 mp3s? Heh, the RIAA will (and has) sued over a lot less than that. 38 MBs of music has been the smallest I&#39;ve heard of so far.

3. Er, yea, they&#39;re already into the hundreds, if not thousands, of lawsuits filed. Maybe you meant millions...?

4. &#036;3000 is probably about average. Even the worst offenders are probably getting off with &#036;15-20,000 or less. In fact, they want people to settle out of court rather than fight it.

:ph34r:

1. This one we agree on... ;)

2. Ok, this maybe wrong. The Riaa may be as childish as to sue people over some mb&#39;s of music.

3 and 4. Well, I actually meant thousands (the article says that there will be thousands of lawsuets against other users in the near future), but it can be millions as well, if the Riaa thinks it can sue every single p2p-user. Ok, perhaps I formulated it wrong. They actually can sue thousands of users, because that&#39;s only an administrative matter (but a hell of a lot of paperwork, though). And I know that the Riaa wants to settle it outside the courtroom rather than going actually to court, because then the thing will happen what I said earlier:

The riaa can&#39;t actually go to court, because if they take every single accused person to court, then the courts will have to work overtime a lot. It takes a long time before such a dispute can be settled in the courtroom and then there is the matter of appeal, after the sentence has been passed. So these disputes would takes years for every single user. And there are thousands of them. :P

The other choice in the matter is to take users to court together, but then the court has to be in session in a stadium or some other big place, because suppose every accused brings his own lawyer. Then there would be a couple of hundred accuseds and a couple of hundred lawyers. And you know how lawyers are they all want to elaborate on their view of the matter. That also would take a real long time.

And then there is also the possibility that the Riaa will lose in the courtroom :lol: and I don&#39;t think that they would want that to happen. Because if they lose one, they will lose them all. The Riaa is better of when most users are afraid of them.

So, it&#39;s not very likely that the Riaa will do a lot of fighting inside the courtroom

Greetz, D&#33;mensio_x. :ph34r:

DasScoot
09-12-2003, 04:35 AM
They couldn&#39;t group us all together, since one of us being guilty doesn&#39;t mean we all are, and vice versa. With the right charge tho, we could file a class action suit against them...