PDA

View Full Version : The Pirate Bay Launches Free Mobile Video Converter

Detale
12-22-2008, 08:04 AM
The Pirate Bay has established itself as the largest BitTorrent tracker, and helps to distribute millions of files a day. Today, the Pirate Bay team adds yet another service to its arsenal, a free video converter that allows users to put their favorite movies and TV shows on almost every mobile device.

http://vio.thepiratebay.org/logos/tpb_logo.gif
With the wide range of video formats out there, it can be quite a challenge to find a tool that can easily convert these to a format that is supported by your mobile device. The Pirate Bay, one of the greatest video libraries online, now has an application that does just this.

The ViO converter reduces AVI, MPEG, MP4, WMV and others videos to 20% of its original size without any reduction in image quality, and claims to do it faster than any other converter. The tool is completely free and comes with pre-configured settings for the most wisely used mobile devices, including the iPod, iPhone and BlackBerry.

The converter can be downloaded for free, but strangely enough a .torrent is not available. The ViO website is currently accessible at a subdomain of The Pirate Bay, complete with a nifty marketing pitch claiming that “ViO proprietary compression delivers better video quality, higher resolution and smaller file sizes, than anything else on the market today.”

When ViO is installed there is an optional toolbar that can be installed with it. The application itself is easy to use, and does indeed a good (and fast) job at converting different video files we’ve tried. If this takes off, it might even reduce the number of pirated downloads of some of the commercial alternatives.

:source: Source: http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-launches-free-mobile-video-converter-081220/
:view: Homepage: http://vio.thepiratebay.org/
:down: Download Link: http://vio.thepiratebay.org/dl.php

Skiz
12-22-2008, 02:29 PM
"The ViO converter reduces AVI, MPEG, MP4, WMV and others videos to 20% of its original size without any reduction in image quality."

Who are they trying to fool with this statement? A reduction in quality is exactly what happens when file size is reduced.

At the same time, if this is for mobile devices, one may not notice the loss in quality.

iLOVENZB
12-23-2008, 04:57 AM
"The ViO converter reduces AVI, MPEG, MP4, WMV and others videos to 20% of its original size without any reduction in image quality."

Who are they trying to fool with this statement? A reduction in quality is exactly what happens when file size is reduced.

At the same time, if this is for mobile devices, one may not notice the loss in quality.

Well its got to do with codecs eg. A divx video can be 'compressed' very highly with h264 with little to no loss of quality.

apextwin146
12-23-2008, 05:38 AM
loss of quality(due to reduction in size) is directly related to the screen size being viewed on ..

Skiz
12-23-2008, 05:48 AM
loss of quality(due to reduction in size) is directly related to the screen size being viewed on ..

Nope.

The only correlation when one is to re-compress a video to as little as 20% of its original size, is there will be corresponding loss in quality to allow it to fit on your mobile device. The compression isn't done with a particular screen size in mind and the app has no idea what size screen the new file will be viewed upon. To see the two as synonymous is just wrong.

apextwin146
12-23-2008, 06:10 AM
What i was trying to say was that if i compress a video to play on my ipod then there would be a reduction in size but no apparent reduction in quality as the resolution would have decreased too .. So i wudnt notice the loss of quality on the ipod itself.. I will notice it though if i try to watch it on a 22" hd monitor .. size ir majorly reduced by reducing the pixels(the mermory bits that store the data regarding the color are decreased thereby reducing the size) .. Now this reduction in pixels will not be that notoceable if the screen size is reduced appropriately as i said in my previous post