PDA

View Full Version : Girl Sued For $95k 4 Downloading A Nursery Rhyme

sayeds33
09-11-2003, 07:28 PM
oh yeah

crap 95k and just for a nursery rhyme...

:-"

the story... (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2003%2F09%2F10%2Fwdown10.xml)

showstopper496
09-11-2003, 08:10 PM
man thats fucking wrong :angry: riaa can just suck the music industrys cock and die :angry:

Sparkle1984
09-11-2003, 08:29 PM
RIAA your downfall cannot arrive too soon !!!

You are a disgrace to our planet !!!

We will win !!!

DasScoot
09-11-2003, 10:29 PM
This is the same girl everyone's been talking about. She was sued, settled for $2000, which P2P United gave back to her. And she downloaded a lot more than nursery rhymes.

The high figure is the max the RIAA can sue for under the law, $150,000.

DanB
09-11-2003, 10:51 PM
i read about this in the paper. they said her mum paid a subsctiption as well! they thought they were acting within the law , remember the girl was only 12, when the industry decided to make an example of them.

i think its outrageous :angry:

Acecool
09-11-2003, 10:56 PM
They read my post :-)

The problem is so acute in America, which has seen sales of CDs fall by 15 per cent in two years, that Universal Music, the company behind Eminem and Elton John, is reducing CD prices by up to £4.

But 4 pounds is about 8 where I am, sooo still waiting for it to go below 5 dollars :-)

mogadishu
09-11-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by danb@11 September 2003 - 17:51
i read about this in the paper. they said her mum paid a subsctiption as well! they thought they were acting within the law , remember the girl was only 12, when the industry decided to make an example of them.

i think its outrageous :angry:
yea.. its pretty messed up. i thought they were only going after big file sharers.

AznRocky
09-12-2003, 02:27 AM
if you have k-lite are u safer and is it like .1% chance of getting caught?
i'm scared to death man :( :( :( :( :(

DasScoot
09-12-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by AznRocky@12 September 2003 - 02:27
if you have k-lite are u safer and is it like .1% chance of getting caught?
i'm scared to death man :( :( :( :( :(
Wrong.

It's waaaaaaaay under 0.1%.

FireDragoN33
08-24-2006, 12:07 AM
:angry: The RIAA doing this to a 12year old girl or whatever? The RIAA may stop some of them or only do so much but they can't stop us all :)

If yer gonna download ya gotta be sneaky only download so much within a certain time a day/week/month/year oh and stay on for only so long.

It's kinda hard to be in a swarm and all those ip's being shown it's I think kinda hard to singleout those ip's that are doing the nasty lol.

limesqueezer
08-24-2006, 01:10 AM
I never belived in RIAA but maybe they exist, thats only maybe in USA. I read lots of wierd stories about RIAA and many of em just seem unreal and illogical, basicly scare tactics. I would like to see RIAA close a program that has instead of 1 more servers, after that i will be scared. ;P

gamer4eva
08-24-2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah i think its wrong to do that to a 12 year old....poor thing must be traumatized after all that. I think that limesqueezer is right in that the RIAA have many stories and encounters and believe me it does bring fear into me. Although i don't download much at all.

coppercox
08-24-2006, 03:43 AM
The RIAA and MPAA are going for the "headline-grabbing" stories to put the fear in the masses!!! Their spin-doctors know they will get the best bang for their buck by inflaming the masses. Think about it this way: How many millionaires are being sued (...and you know they are also downloading)...I can't recall reading a story about any millionaires being sued...can you? They will just settle for several thousand and continue on their way...not newsworthy.....but a 12 year old girl??? Headlines galore!!!! But I'm starting to see the tide turn....I have come across several stories recently where the RIAA has lost in court cases.....see for yourself how the tide is changing: http://thebighack.com/

j0hn
08-24-2006, 07:40 AM
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5498/postinginalegendarythread8zjtt6.jpg

Hairbautt
08-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Jesus...That's ridiculous, but is this REALLY true?

redrover12345
08-30-2006, 12:06 PM
RIAA, bunch of assholes

sylf2020
08-31-2006, 04:45 AM
Sneaky is definately the right way to do it, though of course it depends on where you're located. Some countries our way more lax then others - in fact I think in Australia its almost legal to pirate games, the law gets pretty complicated on the exactitudes. As they are more trying to make examples of the super-seeders most people should be okay - at least I think!

smeghead
08-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Well for one thing most nursery rhymes I know of are waaaaay out of control of copyright legislation due to when they were first penned. So it must have been the recording artist the RIAA was "acting on behalf of".
Hmmm, not a great way to improve your fanbase methinks, sueing them into destitution and incarceration. Which leads me to believe that the RIAA and MPAA do not act on behalf of the artists they act on behalf of the corporate fat cats who cant stand to see their profit margins dip below 2000%, it's all bull everyone knows how cheap cd's are; the lies they feed you about studio time costs, pressing costs and all that good stuff - LIES.
If they didn't perpetuate this climate of fear ("we're coming to get you so you'd better pay through the nose") then their entire industry would fall down around them and artists would be forced to create GOOD media that people are willing to buy at the right price.
If I may just reference the 60s&70s briefly as a good music model (yes there were people taping from the radio, piracy, shock horror) but single + album sales were astronomical compared to today - you know why? Because they charged a fair price.
If only these guys would learn that lesson we could all get along much better n'est pas?

"yes they deserved to die, and I hope they burn in hell!!!"

Fedders
09-04-2006, 03:49 AM
The RIAA can sux my dick. O in Canada it is legal to download music for free LoL via P2P.