PDA

View Full Version : 'Y2K9' bug hits 30 GB Zunes

tesco
01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
'Y2K9' bug hits 30 GB Zunes
December 31, 2008

"In the early morning hours of the final day of the year, many Zune users found their devices frozen on the logo screen, totally unresponsive.

The 30 GB Zune experienced a Y2K-like mass failure at around 6:00 am this morning, where the portable media player goes to the loading screen and freezes permanently. Zune.net's service status today warns: "Customers with 30gb Zune devices may experience issues when booting their Zune hardware. We're aware of the problem and are working to correct it. The Zune Social might be slow or inaccessible. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience."

Microsoft's Zune support forum has been hit with a mass of complaints, but the problem has yet to receive a public diagnosis from the Zune team. Hundreds of users have each reported the identical problem."

:source: Source: BetaNews (http://www.betanews.com/article/Y2K9_bug_hits_30_GB_Zunes/1230751818)

Funkin'
01-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Old news. Mine and my girls' Zunes were both affected by this. But they are both running fine now. We were only without the Zune for a day.

What happened was the geniuses at Microsoft didn't anticipate the leap year. So on the 31st at midnight the internal clock didn't know to handle it, so the Zunes froze at the splash screen. But Zune fixed itself at noon GMT time on the 1st. All I had to do was turn the Zune on, let the battery die, plug it into the computer and start a charge. Then the Zune restarted itself. So no big deal.

But I am beyond sick of Microsofts products. I still like the Zune itself, I think it's a great mp3 player. But I cannot stand the horrid computer software that you HAVE to use to sync songs to the Zune. The are just not that good at making software(in my opinion at least, Microsoft fanboys are going to argue with this). And because of this I'm going to get me either a Creative Zen or a Sansa soon. Dragn'Drop is the only way to go with these mp3 players.

mcgr75
01-04-2009, 03:45 PM
I have a Creative Zen, it is an old one now it is the touch 40GB version, but it still works after about 4 years, and i depend on that more than my ipod, which i have had to have replaced 3 times now due to refusing to work :( And of course with the Creative, you do not have to use the creative software :)

Funkin'
01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for that mcgr. Everyone person I've talked to about these Creative Zens have only had positive things to say about them. I'm defintely getting me one.