PDA

View Full Version : Twilight series?

jezemy
01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
What is the big deal? I haven't read it but I swear it can't really be THAT good. its a romance with some action and vampires thrown in. great. from what i've seen its not really literary genius either :blink:

brotherdoobie
01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Graceless, heavy handed...drivel. Agreed.

-bd

nzbean
01-16-2009, 05:43 PM
The target audience demands minimal literary merit.

Skiz
01-16-2009, 06:03 PM
I heard it's a series aimed at the preteen generation. :emo:

Read the books that True Blood was based off of - The Sookie Stackhouse series. :yup:

brotherdoobie
01-16-2009, 07:33 PM
The target audience demands minimal literary merit.

My daughter would disagree completely. She's eleven and pointed out the fact that the series is pure - shite.

She has excellent taste, indeed.

-bd

nzbean
01-16-2009, 08:03 PM
An exception to the rule perhaps.

brotherdoobie
01-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Possibly.

-bd

rbeach
01-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Isn't it just the lost Boys for kids? - well, even more so.

WannaB
01-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Am I the only one who likes Twilight?
And yes, I do read "serious" lit, too. I love Shakespeare and Virginia Woolf and F. Scott Fitzgerald.
But, well, I also enjoy the Twilight series. It's entertaining!

ironmaniac
01-27-2009, 02:52 PM
what should i do , watch the movie first or read the book? or just find another book to read...

FlipRising21
01-28-2009, 02:20 AM
Honestly I read the series and actually liked it =(. I do feel dirty now though and I think I lost a bit of my pride along the way. Honestly I would say read the book and you might just like it.

WannaB
01-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Read the books first!

ironmaniac
01-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Read the books first!

ok...thanks:)

MrZinny
02-10-2009, 03:23 AM
I've read it and unfortunately know several people who also read it, the important distinction to make is that they enjoyed it. It's terribly boring. I barely finished the first, I took it as a sort of test of my own strength. The people I know that have read this, not all of them but definitely the poeple I know who have, are the kind of people that think Kafka is stupid. They don't want any real literature they want some mushy little story with very little grace or meaning. I despise it, not for the scene that it created (though the devotion of it's fans perplexes and irritates me), but what it indicates, and that is the lack of imagination people are willing to use when reading these days. It is fantasy but it's not imaginative, there's little to no finesse in the drawing of the characters who are very two-dimensional, and the story itself lacks any ingenuity. So in conclusion it was not worth the time it took to open to the first page.

yavuz991
02-15-2009, 12:03 AM
i hate this series.wherever i look at i see people who is reading this series.:@

Darth_Duane
03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I read them, mostly because I go through books so quickly that I end up desperate for something to read.

I agree with one of the early posters that said they are heavy handed. The author is incapable of forreshadowing and will just browbeat you with obvious "Hints" of what is going to happen and somehow the characters don't figure it out.

I tend to be character driven and have to attach to a character in a story to really enjoy it and I found myself disliking the main players in these books quite a bit, Bella especially.

I can see why it appeals to teenage girls, and that is about the best thing I can say about the series.

yoco
03-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I read first one, and it was so boring, I just waited the fight to start. movie was lame also!

iceman0113
03-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I read them, mostly because I go through books so quickly that I end up desperate for something to read.

I agree with one of the early posters that said they are heavy handed. The author is incapable of forreshadowing and will just browbeat you with obvious "Hints" of what is going to happen and somehow the characters don't figure it out.

I tend to be character driven and have to attach to a character in a story to really enjoy it and I found myself disliking the main players in these books quite a bit, Bella especially.

I can see why it appeals to teenage girls, and that is about the best thing I can say about the series.

I get desperate sometimes too, but the NY best selling list usually has some good books on there. I just hate the way she portrays women as weak and submissive as if women are incapable of their roles as heroines, which is bs. I suggest Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey if you're really into characters. I just finished it and can't wait for the second book.

Darth_Duane
03-20-2009, 01:51 AM

I get desperate sometimes too, but the NY best selling list usually has some good books on there. I just hate the way she portrays women as weak and submissive as if women are incapable of their roles as heroines, which is bs. I suggest Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey if you're really into characters. I just finished it and can't wait for the second book.

Thanks for the reccomendation, I'm finishing up the Dark Tower series by Stephen King right now but I will definately check that one out when I finish.

borialis
03-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I personally didn't enjoy them that much. So much hype for this series that it just didn't appeal to my taste in reading. Movie wasn't that good either.

BlackKnight
03-20-2009, 11:34 PM
I actually want to buy this series but it looks like everyone doesn't like it much

Sanka113
03-21-2009, 06:22 AM
I'd download the first book and if you hate it leave it. I'm going to attempt to read the first book for arguments sake. I want to be able to validly diss the movie AND the book.