PDA

View Full Version : What Does The Riaa Block Bad Ip Ranges Thing Do?

Burtonshredder12
09-12-2003, 09:30 PM
I was wondering what the option does where it says "Block Bad Ip Ranges (E.G. RIAA)" ?

I was also wondering, can the RIAA sue you, only if you share your files???

Aimless6
09-12-2003, 11:09 PM
It prevents the ip's in the list from downloading from you. The list is made up by ip's thought to belong to various copyright organisations and law enforcment agencies.
However, these organisation can always get an account with a random isp. So its by no means a failsafe methode to stop the RIAA of getting your ip number. But al bits help.

- use the privacy patch (dont allow users to get a list)
- assign a random port to K++ in the K++ firewall settings (5000-9999 or higher)
- block port 1214 in K++ and in your Firewall

Distributing (Sharing) files when you don't own the copyrights is illegal.
Downloading files when you know the source has no permission from the copyright owner to publish them is illegal.
Making a copy for personal use is legal in most countries, unless you have to brake some sort of copy protection to do it.

The RIAA has asked for the adresses of people who didn't use the privacy patch. They could see all the files names that where shared. They assumed that those names where actualy the songs with that name. They didn't even download the files to check if it realy where those songs. (Most likely they where, but in the USA legal system they don't even have to prove it to force a plea bargin. If you dare to fight it they will bankrupt you with legal fees. In the USA its guilty untill proven innocent.) ;)

sabbath
09-12-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Burtonshredder12@12 September 2003 - 23:30
I was wondering what the option does where it says "Block Bad Ip Ranges (E.G. RIAA)" ?

Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

slick nick
09-12-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Burtonshredder12@12 September 2003 - 22:30

if you leech you'll be safe for awhile but as more and more people turn to leeching i/.e. not uploading you wont get any files after awhile :P plus that verizon customer that was gone after during the summer was wanted for downloading 600 songs in a day. just use that option and you'll be safe. the people being sued are those using regular kazaa.

Burtonshredder12
09-13-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by sabbath+12 September 2003 - 23:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sabbath @ 12 September 2003 - 23:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Burtonshredder12@12 September 2003 - 23:30

Where are you from, if you don&#39;t mind me asking? [/b][/quote]
im from United States

MUSLEMAN
09-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by slick nick+12 September 2003 - 19:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slick nick @ 12 September 2003 - 19:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Burtonshredder12@12 September 2003 - 22:30

if you leech you&#39;ll be safe for awhile but as more and more people turn to leeching i/.e. not uploading you wont get any files after awhile :P plus that verizon customer that was gone after during the summer was wanted for downloading 600 songs in a day. just use that option and you&#39;ll be safe. the people being sued are those using regular kazaa. [/b][/quote]
and who said if you are leeching you are safe??? the hell you are thats got nothing to do with, if you are leeching are you are doing is helping riaa and still puting yourself in danger, stop miss informing people,
the bad ip blocker blockes ip ranges that have been associated with riaa or their partners so they will be blocked form getting in through you klite port