PDA

View Full Version : Safe To File Share?

Iamlegal
09-13-2003, 12:20 AM
Can you download music and move the music files to a different folder? Would this keep you from getting caught? Could they still get you because they have other methods of seeing your download? Ip tracking? Can I still dl and not worry about the RIAA getting me? AM I SAFE???

sharedholder
09-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Read the NEW(BIE) FAQ (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=66396)

Iamlegal
09-13-2003, 12:31 AM
How do I know that all that stuff said in the "5 reasons not to be afraid of the RIAA" is true, about the only the gigs a day transferers get caught? How do u know they won't go after a few small guys to show that everyone can get caught? Are u sure about all the blocking that Kazaa lite does?

DasScoot
09-13-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Iamlegal@13 September 2003 - 00:31
How do I know that all that stuff said in the "5 reasons not to be afraid of the RIAA" is true, about the only the gigs a day transferers get caught? How do u know they won't go after a few small guys to show that everyone can get caught? Are u sure about all the blocking that Kazaa lite does?
Actually that thread is very misleading, or outdated at the least, which annoys me. However, if you use the latest version and have the 'hide shared files' option checked, the odds of you getting sued drop to practically nothing (which are almost nothing to start with).

Iamlegal
09-13-2003, 01:49 AM
is that "Users can't get a list of all your shared files" option?

DasScoot
09-13-2003, 02:33 AM
Yup.

sharedholder
09-13-2003, 05:33 AM
Actually that thread is very misleading, or outdated at the least, which annoys me. However, if you use the latest version and have the 'hide shared files' option checked, the odds of you getting sued drop to practically nothing (which are almost nothing to start with).

Is outdated??
Posted: 20 June 2003 - 13:38 Misleading??Annoys you??I gonna ask you a simple question:Do you think is normally to share 1 MILLION mp3 files and not been caught??

Did you read the FAQ and did you read the description about the last version of KazaaLite??I don't think you did ,because all that you know about is
However, if you use the latest version and have the 'hide shared files' option checked, the odds of you getting sued drop to practically nothing (which are almost nothing to start with).

New!) Block RIAA and other organizations from connecting, downloading and uploading to you.
(New!) K++ default options have been changed to protect your privacy. By default:
Bad IP ranges, eg. the ones from the RIAA and others, are now blocked automatically by K++ thanks to the PeerGuardian IP range file. K++ blocks all these IP ranges from ever connecting to you (both TCP and UDP), and the connections are closed immediately without them getting a single bit from you.
No-one can get a listing of ALL your files through a "Find all files from this user" command (you're still able to share, though).
Port 1214 (aka Kazaa's port) is disabled so no-one can scan your computer to see if you're using Kazaa K++.
Your search history isn't saved in the registry.
All options can easily be changed should you not like the default options.
(New!) Kazaa K++ now has a Windows XP look
(New!) Upload view, download view, and search view show windows icons for each file name instead of the old blue icons.
(New!) Several Kazaa bugs have been fixed, including the serious Packet 0' Death FastTrack network vulnerability
(New!) Supports multiple users installation. All users can use K++ without a problem. The installer sets the appropriate permissions on folders and registry keys.
No spyware/adware installed, and no ads displayed.
Faster downloads
Unlimited searches
Participation level constant at 1000
(New!) The toolbar buttons right below the main menu now have gripper bars so you can move them to other places to get more room for eg. the web browser or your upload/download view.
(New!) You can now re-download a file you've previously already started to download instead of getting a message such as "You've already started downloading this file. Check download view.". The reason you want this option is if you've cancelled a file (eg. by accident), and want to download it again. Previously, this was impossible, but now you can download it again.
(New!) K++ options can now be easily changed while K++ is running, and without having to restart it in order for the changes to take effect.
Includes cool addon tools such as KL Extensions, AVI Preview, K-Dat, K-Sig, Speed Up and KaZuperNodes.
Available in many languages: english, german, french, italian, dutch, and czech
And more...

Kazaa K++ includes the following:

K++ v2.40
KL Extensions (v0.55)
K-Sig (v1.2.0 Build 5)
K-Dat (v1.2.0 Build 22)
AVI Preview (v0.21 Alpha)
Speed Up (v2.0.1)
KaZuperNodes (v1.4.0)
Kazaa resource sections based on Paul's Kazaa versions

It is recommended that you uninstall all previously installed Kazaa versions prior to installing Kazaa K++.

ARE YOU WORKING FOR RIIA OR WHAT A HELL??

DasScoot
09-13-2003, 05:41 AM
Sigh...so much paranoia...one min...

1) RIAA is an American organisation. They have absolutely no juristiction outside the USA.

Misleading because it implies that people outside of the US can share to their heart's content, which is not true at all.

2) Potential targets of the RIAA are only people who download and upload several GB per DAY.

Not true at all. In fact I haven't heard of anyone in the more recent batches of lawsuits that have been sharing anything near this amount.

5) Those few people that got 'caught' usually only received a warning letter. There are only a few cases known of people who actually got a fine. The highest one was $7,500 for some student that was sharing 1 MILLION mp3 files.

Outdated. Outside of the US, where the industry is weaker, there you might get a warning but here nowadays if the RIAA catches you you're sued.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest fan of KLite here, but if you want to share you've got to do it smart - the people who are getting sued are the ones who don't know what the fuck they're doing.

Edit: And yes, I know about those features - but why would I have needed to mention them? Clicking that option is all you really have to do.

wormless
09-13-2003, 06:08 AM
or as share said get the lates version of k-lite 2.4.2 or watever it is

RealitY
09-13-2003, 06:58 AM
Actually Profitable...
Read http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showto...=0&#entry493043 (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=66512&st=0&#entry493043).

MUSLEMAN
09-13-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Iamlegal@12 September 2003 - 20:20
Can you download music and move the music files to a different folder? Would this keep you from getting caught? Could they still get you because they have other methods of seeing your download? Ip tracking? Can I still dl and not worry about the RIAA getting me? AM I SAFE???
its like sex the only way of being 100% safe is not to have it at all :lol: