PDA

View Full Version : 12 Year Old Sued - Into Making Money

RealitY
09-13-2003, 06:40 AM
http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=238

What started off as every P2P users nightmare has turned into a profitable enterprise for 12 year old Brianna LaHara. Like 60 million other American citizens, Brianna’s downloading day started off like many others; launch your Kazaa client and trade away.

Unfortunately for Brianna, she had approximately 1,000 copyrighted songs in her shared directory. Compounding her situation was the type of shared music; mostly top 40, such as Christina Aguilera. This unfortunate combination is exactly what the RIAA automatons are looking for.

Like many other victims of the RIAA's persecution of the American people, Brianna had no idea that she was targeted until reporters started contacting the household. The RIAA quickly brushed off the issue, accepting a minimal payment of $2,000.

While the marginal penalty may seem like a fortune to this low-income New York family, the immediate sympathy and outpouring was undeniable. Almost immediately, P2P United, a trade organization that promote the file-sharing world, sent the family $2,000 to cover the costs.

However, the support didn't stop there.

In addition to the 2 grand from P2P United, Brianna has literally been flooded with donations. The donations range anywhere from $3 dollars to nearly $1,000. Not only has Brianna been able to pay her fine; she's making a profit from her ordeal with the RIAA.

In addition, "Rochester, New York radio disc jockey Brother Wease also offered to pay Torres’ legal bill, and online music retailer MusicRebellion.com said it would allow Torres’ daughter, Brianna Lahara, to download $2,000 worth of free music from its industry-sanctioned site."

What started off as a financial nightmare for the LaHara family has turned into a dream come true. With the $2,000 dollar offer from Music Rebellion, and “floods” of donations where some have totaled near $1,000, we can only speculate that Brianna has managed to make over $4,000 for the LaHara household - and that's a very conservative estimate. Not bad for being sued for copyright infringement.
****************************** CLASSIC ******************************

Darth Sushi
09-13-2003, 06:45 AM
I guess crime does pay :D

RealitY
09-13-2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Darth Sushi@13 September 2003 - 07:45
I guess crime does pay :D
Can someone loan me a couple thousand mp3's...
I'm planning to get rich...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DasScoot
09-13-2003, 06:47 AM
Damn, someone sue me quick! :D

MUSLEMAN
09-13-2003, 09:24 AM
i will sue every body here( if you agree to split it with me ) :lol:

N£MO
09-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Read this story on www.Slyck.com.

What started off as every P2P users nightmare has turned into a profitable enterprise for 12 year old Brianna LaHara. Like 60 million other American citizens, Brianna’s downloading day started off like many others; launch your Kazaa client and trade away.

Unfortunately for Brianna, she had approximately 1,000 copyrighted songs in her shared directory. Compounding her situation was the type of shared music; mostly top 40, such as Christina Aguilera. This unfortunate combination is exactly what the RIAA automatons are looking for.

Like many other victims of the RIAA's persecution of the American people, Brianna had no idea that she was targeted until reporters started contacting the household. The RIAA quickly brushed off the issue, accepting a minimal payment of $2,000.

While the marginal penalty may seem like a fortune to this low-income New York family, the immediate sympathy and outpouring was undeniable. Almost immediately, P2P United, a trade organization that promote the file-sharing world, sent the family $2,000 to cover the costs.

However, the support didn't stop there.

In addition to the 2 grand from P2P United, Brianna has literally been flooded with donations. The donations range anywhere from $3 dollars to nearly $1,000. Not only has Brianna been able to pay her fine; she's making a profit from her ordeal with the RIAA.

In addition, "Rochester, New York radio disc jockey Brother Wease also offered to pay Torres’ legal bill, and online music retailer MusicRebellion.com said it would allow Torres’ daughter, Brianna Lahara, to download $2,000 worth of free music from its industry-sanctioned site."

What started off as a financial nightmare for the LaHara family has turned into a dream come true. With the $2,000 dollar offer from Music Rebellion, and “floods” of donations where some have totaled near $1,000, we can only speculate that Brianna has managed to make over $4,000 for the LaHara household - and that's a very conservative estimate. Not bad for being sued for copyright infringement.

By Thomas Mennecke.

Bet the RIAA are loving all this.... :lol: :lol:

RealitY
09-13-2003, 11:23 AM
Reality 07:40
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=66512

NEMO 12:05

Winner REALITY...
Although Improperly Posted In The WRONG Section... :blink:
Thus The JUDGES must be called out.

Originally posted by REALITY Pleading His Defense
"I actually considered double posting when I relized it judge, though I did not want to spam the site and figured one of our precious mods would move it anyhow"
:blink:

Rappy
09-13-2003, 12:07 PM
It may be profitable for her because everyone was mad because she is 12 and being sued also she was probibly from a low income house. If i got sued right now im 16 and if i got sued i don't think people would be half as friendly to me as her.

Gutter
09-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@13 September 2003 - 09:24
i will sue every body here( if you agree to split it with me ) :lol:
if we can all make $4,000 off of it I'm with ya MUSLEMAN!!

Hopefully this should show the RIAA that people are heavily against them.

Sparkle1984
09-13-2003, 09:59 PM
Good for her I say!!! :D

This should really annoy RIAA !! :D :lol: :D

NeoTheOne
09-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@13 September 2003 - 13:59
Good for her I say!!! :D

This should really annoy RIAA !! :D :lol: :D
yes that is what i think also

the public have shown the riaa wat we are all about

Jayhawk
09-14-2003, 12:02 AM
that is awesome i am glad people are sticking up for people like her who are being sued.

Jayhawk

RealitY
09-14-2003, 01:17 AM
EFF Update...

Dear EFF Supporter:

This is astounding - in the first 24 hours, over 6,000 people have signed
our petition to stop the Recording Industry Association of America's (RIAA)
nationwide rampage against average Americans. Rather than working to
create a rational, legal means by which its customers can take advantage of
file-sharing technology and pay a fair price for the music they love, it
has chosen to sue people like Brianna LaHara, a 12 year-old girl living in
New York City public housing. Take a stand against the RIAA's tactics by
signing our petition:

http://www.eff.org/share/petition/

Brianna, and hundreds of other music fans like her, are being forced to pay
thousands of dollars they do not have to settle RIAA-member lawsuits --
supporting a business model that is anything but rational. This crusade is
generating thousands of subpoenas and hundreds of lawsuits, but not a
single penny for the artists that the RIAA claims to protect.

Copyright law shouldn't make criminals out of 60 million Americans, and
it's time for a change. Congress is going to hold hearings; we need your
help to make sure that the public's voice is heard. Tell Congress that
it's time to stop the madness:

http://www.eff.org/share/petition/

We'll deliver the petition to Congress once we've hit 10,000 signatures.
This is a grassroots campaign - please take the time to tell your friends
and family about this issue. Thanks for support!
Just In case You Missed It...
http://www.eff.org/share/petition/.

www.k-lite.tk_Kazaa_Lite
09-14-2003, 04:18 AM
SUE ME HAHAHAHA

A2iris
09-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Who needs money, I need Klite.

vader
09-20-2003, 06:59 AM
I bet the RIAA didn't come up with that scenario while sitting around and comming up with an amount to hit her with....LOL there is a GOD :D :P :P :P :lol: :lol:

kdm172
09-22-2003, 02:24 AM
Umm KazaaBoy started this topic a few days ago

RealitY
09-22-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by kdm172@22 September 2003 - 03:24
Umm KazaaBoy started this topic a few days ago
Good for him...
I started this topic about a week and a half ago...

Although I guess you have brought it back since you liked it so much.