PDA

View Full Version : Have you submitted yourself to the Netbook craze?

The Flying Cow
01-22-2009, 08:43 PM
I was looking at the available dishes (Toshiba NB100, Acer Aspire One, Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Mini Ui3520, Samsung NC10, Asus EEE 1000H, HP Mini 2140, et al.) and I'm keen on getting myself one of these little things once the cash comes back.

ATM I'm thinking of waiting for the Samsung NC20, seeing as it comes with a 12" screen (it's an XL-netbook, as opposed to a subpar notebook), and I saw the 8.9" screen on a gal's EEE and it was really tiny.

Dell's already launched something on this new 12" netbook league (the Dell Inspiron Mini 12), but I know Samsung always has the better craftsmanship.

This seems like the ideal mini laptop to take to lectures and the like. Provided the keyboard is spacious enough (I hear the Samsung NC10 already is 93% of a full-sized, the HP Mini being 92%, so this NC20's must be even bigger) it can be used to write papers, surf the net, watch a few XviD's and listen to music. Nothing too power-hungry, but definitely an incentive to stay off enticing PC games.

Has anyone here purchased one of these lilliputs and would like to share the experience/success/in-success if such is the case?

The Flying Cow
01-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Nobody on FST has purchased a netbook yet?

Somehow that seems unlikely.

Speak, or forever hold your feces.

Sanka113
01-24-2009, 11:11 PM
No, I still got at least a couple of years on my 17inch desktop replacement laptop. While it's nice for me to have something just as powerful as a desktop, it freaking sucks hauling this bitch around campus. My back would definitely like me to hop on the netbook bandwagon. I'd probably consider buying one if they dropped down to under $150 . Until then using a combo of the back breaker and a smart phone seems sufficient enough.

The Flying Cow
01-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Well you push the price limit a bit down but I definitely agree they are, in general, a bit overpriced as we speak (at least the good ones).

Reaching a below $150 value seems impossible, however. Unless it's a refurbished deal or something.

lion24
02-22-2009, 03:18 PM
I recently bought an NC10, and I'm loving it. It's great as an HTPC too. :)

Rat Faced
02-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Why would I want half a real notebook?

JPaul
02-22-2009, 07:22 PM

It's not instead of

Mr. Mulder
02-22-2009, 08:04 PM
im rawking a dell mini9 right now!11!1!1!!!!2!!!!!111!1!1!

in a BnB right now, they wanted to charge me to use the wi-fi - i said no and gussed their password was "eastbourne" and now im using it for free.

my uber 1337 matrix haX0Ring skillz >*

Rat Faced
02-22-2009, 09:16 PM

It's not instead of

OK...

If I have a Notebook, why would I get something not as good to replace it.

If I didn't have a notebook, why would I just want half of one..

Does that make more sense JP?

JPaul
02-23-2009, 12:13 AM
It's not instead of

OK...

If I have a Notebook, why would I get something not as good to replace it.

If I didn't have a notebook, why would I just want half of one..

Does that make more sense JP?

If you have a car why have a bicycle. If you have a 40'' plasma tv why have a 20'' one. If you have an oven why have a microwave. If you have an apple do you really need an orange.

Cabalo
02-23-2009, 12:51 AM
i've one, i looked at my needs, and i didn't need a notebook, i needed something more suitable to my travelling around, as i already have a pretty powerful desktop.

i bought the Asus 901 back in November. Great choice.

Marduk
02-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Thinking about a netbook because I barely use my computer for anything other than browsing the web and watching movie/tv shows.

Squeamous
02-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I was looking at the available dishes (Toshiba NB100, Acer Aspire One, Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Mini Ui3520, Samsung NC10, Asus EEE 1000H, HP Mini 2140, et al.) and I'm keen on getting myself one of these little things once the cash comes back.

ATM I'm thinking of waiting for the Samsung NC20, seeing as it comes with a 12" screen (it's an XL-netbook, as opposed to a subpar notebook), and I saw the 8.9" screen on a gal's EEE and it was really tiny.

Dell's already launched something on this new 12" netbook league (the Dell Inspiron Mini 12), but I know Samsung always has the better craftsmanship.

This seems like the ideal mini laptop to take to lectures and the like. Provided the keyboard is spacious enough (I hear the Samsung NC10 already is 93% of a full-sized, the HP Mini being 92%, so this NC20's must be even bigger) it can be used to write papers, surf the net, watch a few XviD's and listen to music. Nothing too power-hungry, but definitely an incentive to stay off enticing PC games.

Has anyone here purchased one of these lilliputs and would like to share the experience/success/in-success if such is the case?

I've got an Acer eee pc. It's good for train journeys or going to see my computer illiterate parents. Prolonged use gives me a headache though, and the keyboard is itty bitty. I think it's too small for anything but browsing the net and the odd bit of messageboarding. Battery life is shite...meant to be 3 hours but more like 1, and I absolutely detest the OS that came with it.

JPaul
02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I've got an aspire one but only because I got it for Mrs JP and she doesn't really like it. I think it's a fantastic wee thing. So I got her a new laptop to replace it but she said my old one would do her fine so I formatted that and she took it. Basically I got a new laptop and the aspire as a swap for my old laptop. Now that's cool.

The only thing I didn't like about the installed software was the media players and I've replaced those with vlc.

The Flying Cow
02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I've got an Acer eee pc. It's good for train journeys or going to see my computer illiterate parents. Prolonged use gives me a headache though, and the keyboard is itty bitty. I think it's too small for anything but browsing the net and the odd bit of messageboarding. Battery life is shite...meant to be 3 hours but more like 1, and I absolutely detest the OS that came with it.

Hallo Squeamous (Village Jester here).

Precisely the reason behind my stubborn wait for the 12" netbook market to expand (Samsung NC20 coming soon). Frankly I feel 10" screens are quite small, and I'd want to use the thing to write papers and the like, at the school premises. From the look of things I'll have to wait for quite a while, since this new 20 seems to be coming out clearly overpriced. :mellow:

JPaul
02-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Hallo Squeamous (Village Jester here).

Precisely the reason behind my stubborn wait for the 12" netbook market to expand (Samsung NC20 coming soon). Frankly I feel 10" screens are quite small, and I'd want to use the thing to write papers and the like, at the school premises. From the look of things I'll have to wait for quite a while, since this new 20 seems to be coming out clearly overpriced. :mellow:

So you're buying a laptop with a small screen, that's not a netbook.

The Flying Cow
02-23-2009, 11:18 PM
It's a netbook because of the specs (Via Nano processor 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, and integrated graphics).

It's like the Dell Inspiron Mini 12. XL netbook.

JPaul
02-23-2009, 11:43 PM
It's a netbook because of the specs (Via Nano processor 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, and integrated graphics).

It's like the Dell Inspiron Mini 12. XL netbook.
A netbook should start up in jig time, weigh about 1 ounce and have a decent battery life. For preference it should be all solid state and no moving parts inside. You should be able to walk about with it and just lay it down whenever you want. Not worry about if the HD is working.

You just described a wee laptop with a shite processor. Why the fuck would you need a 160GB HD in a netbook. It's for doing internets and very basic stuff, it's not really even a computer per se.

Acer Aspire with 8GB solid state memory (easily upgradeable), 512 ram, linux OS and practically all the software you need built in. That's a netbook. Like RP suggested, why would he want a crap laptop. Like I replied, that's not what a netbook is.

Squeamous
02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
I concur with JP - you might as well get a proper lap top if you want to do more than the absolute basics. The Netbook I have is handy to just shove in a rucksack and keep me occupied for a couple of hours when I'm at a loss for stuff to do.