PDA

View Full Version : Things thumbs are useful for...

CrabGirl
01-24-2009, 11:18 PM
I've fractured my left thumb and ruptured one of the ligaments. I'm having to wear a weird splinty thing which immobilises your thumb at a weird angle. Since I've had it on, I have realised that thumbs are very useful, because I keep finding things I just can't do. Like the following:-

Carrying a cup of coffee in your right hand then realizing you cant turn the door handle to open the door. Thus rendering yourself trapped.

Pulling your trousers up. It becomes a weird jiggle.

Putting on a bra, I didn't even realise I used my thumbs for this.

Opening a bottle of wine. Gahhh

Eating with a knife and fork - had to get flatmate to cut up my dinner for me.

Washing my hair. Ow Ow Ow.

Getting anything out of my left pocket. The stupid hand wont fit in, and if it does, it doesn't grip.

Zips. Go on, try a zip without using your thumb.

I'm getting the support swapped for one with a metal brace up the side, and have to wear it for two months or so, and no heavy lifting. Fabulous for a guitar playing, massage therapist, wine-drinking, bra wearing girl who is moving house next week.

clocker
01-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Before Mulder does, allow me to volunteer for the "bra- putting on" part.
Might consider rooting around in your left pocket also.

Alien5
01-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Oh noe, How did it happen? :o

CrabGirl
01-24-2009, 11:49 PM
You'll laugh.

An 8 year old ran into it. Bent it back so the thumb touched my wrist the wrong way.

Alien5
01-25-2009, 12:03 AM
were you drunk? :)

you dont notice how useful hands are.

CrabGirl
01-25-2009, 12:06 AM
No. We were playing and he ran at me, I put my hand out to stop him running into me, end result, spac-thumb.

I'm drunk now though. Tis quite nice.

Alien5
01-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Thats exactly how i imagined it happening.

Skiz
01-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Yup. You never appreciate your health until you're injured or sick.

I remember when my ankle was really messed up I was helpless. Simple things like getting into the shower become obstacles when you've only one foot. Another thing I found that was difficult was eating. I ate half my meals on one foot while standing in the kitchen b/c I couldn't carry a plate while using crutches. :pinch:

I feel for you... :(

How long do you have to wear the splint?

CrabGirl
01-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Because I'm only up here temporarily they've given me a splint to wear for between 6-8 weeks if I don't need surgery. When I've moved next week I need to go back to hospital and get it assessed again in case it does need surgery. If I do then it'll be a cast for a while. So either way I'm fecked.
Yeh it's little things, like trying to pick up a book and not being able to grip it, getting stuff out of my bag, opening doors....

Grrr.

Alien5
01-25-2009, 12:28 AM
:lol:

Sorry im just laughing at the Grrr bit.

The Flying Cow
01-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Another use of thumbs to add to your list CrapGirl:

To taste cake or other delicacies during the process of their production or shortly thereafter.

Also known as 'signing' desserts.

The Flying Cow
01-25-2009, 12:41 AM
BTW I can relate as well (same disaster as Skee was talking about above) my ankle was badly attacked by the pavement after a large car pushed me to the side and made me fly a good few meters from my bike as a consequence.

Aside from the fact that it hurt like Hell, it still does all these months later (it happened in September, or October). I still wake up in the middle of the night with pains in it, can't sleep in the fetal position comfortably, and after a lot of exercise it hurts badly.

Crutches were also a real pain - especially for my hands. Talk about wrists opening.

callum
01-25-2009, 12:46 AM
I ate half my meals on one foot while standing in the kitchen b/c I couldn't carry a plate while using crutches. :pinch:

I was like that a few months ago, when I injured my leg in a motorbike crash. Everyone had gone out and left me home alone on a Friday night. It still didn't stop me having a drink, but carrying drinks in from the kitchen was a struggle. I decided to carry my drinks into the living room, while using one crutch. It was ok for the first few, but when I was half pissed, I pulled a muscle in my crutch arm. I was half way to my seat at the time and had to stand there for half an hour til the pain had died down enough for me get the rest of the way. Luckily I had a drink in my hand to pass the time.

tesco
01-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Yup. You never appreciate your health until you're injured or sick.

I remember when my ankle was really messed up I was helpless. Simple things like getting into the shower become obstacles when you've only one foot. Another thing I found that was difficult was eating. I ate half my meals on one foot while standing in the kitchen b/c I couldn't carry a plate while using crutches. :pinch:

I feel for you... :(

How long do you have to wear the splint?
For meals I was okay when I had my broken leg.
Just hop on one foot to carry them.

Drinks was the real problem. Had to always get someone to carry my drinks for me, or to just fill up a cup a really small amount then hop it.
I used to get my mom to carry me an extra drink at night incase I needed one during the night.:lol:

Skiz
01-25-2009, 03:25 AM
I ate half my meals on one foot while standing in the kitchen b/c I couldn't carry a plate while using crutches. :pinch:

I was like that a few months ago, when I injured my leg in a motorbike crash. Everyone had gone out and left me home alone on a Friday night. It still didn't stop me having a drink, but carrying drinks in from the kitchen was a struggle. I decided to carry my drinks into the living room, while using one crutch. It was ok for the first few, but when I was half pissed, I pulled a muscle in my crutch arm. I was half way to my seat at the time and had to stand there for half an hour til the pain had died down enough for me get the rest of the way. Luckily I had a drink in my hand to pass the time.

Yeah, the drink thing was never a problem though. I'd just stick 2 brews in my pockets and gimp it back to the couch.

brotherdoobie
01-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Thumbs are also useful for the following:

Hitchhiking
Reviewing movies
Buttoning things
Thumb wrestling
Shoe tying
Using a pen or pencil
Texting
Masturbation (male)
Rolling a doobie
Getting funky (slap bass)
Thumbing your nose at someone
The OK sign

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/brotherdoobie/FLJXQCZF11S8ULDSMALL.jpg

Peace, brotherdoobie

Alien5
01-25-2009, 07:43 AM
picking the guitar.

Skiz
01-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Couldn't you just use your index finger to select one?

CrabGirl
01-25-2009, 05:51 PM
holding a trumpet
washing up
washing my hair.

Something Else
01-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Kepping the other one inline.

100%
01-25-2009, 06:21 PM
eye gouging

http://martial-arts-network.com/gifs/jungle_eye.gif

and strangling for that matter.

brotherdoobie
01-25-2009, 06:29 PM

-bd

CrabGirl
01-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Have to settle for a viscious finger jab to the throat.

The Flying Cow
01-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Viscious indeed

Barbarossa
01-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Carrying a cup of coffee in your right hand then realizing you cant turn the door handle to open the door. Thus rendering yourself trapped.

Pulling your trousers up. It becomes a weird jiggle.

Putting on a bra, I didn't even realise I used my thumbs for this.

Opening a bottle of wine. Gahhh

Eating with a knife and fork - had to get flatmate to cut up my dinner for me.

Washing my hair. Ow Ow Ow.

Getting anything out of my left pocket. The stupid hand wont fit in, and if it does, it doesn't grip.

Zips. Go on, try a zip without using your thumb.

Does this mean you are trapped in a room with no trousers or bra on, and dirty hair, with only finger-foods, a cup of cold coffee and an unopenable bottle of wine for sustenance?

Awesome! :01:

Old Geezer
01-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Here you go

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/biker/Thumbdrive.jpg

CrabGirl
01-26-2009, 11:56 PM
I fully opened this thread just now expecting abuse, and I got something useful! Thank you!

@ Barbs. That was about the shape of it yes. I've now learnt how to cut my food sans thumb, and the wine thing was figured out very quickly (screwtop or sparkling. Still have issues with doorhandles, pulling my trousers up, and picking anything up which requires two hands.

Oh and typing.

Barbarossa
01-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Here you go

What use is your big toe going to be to her?

EDIT: Congratulations on posting a picture properly - who said you can't teach old dogs new tricks? :dry:

The Flying Cow
01-27-2009, 07:59 PM
'twas bd or someone else.

Alien5
01-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Here you go

What use is your big toe going to be to her?

EDIT: Congratulations on posting a picture properly - who said you can't teach old dogs new tricks? :dry: i did and i im sorry ok. :mellow: