PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Know I'm Safe Using P2p?

RedRival
09-14-2003, 08:45 AM
With all the recent threats of RIAA trakcing down individual people who use p2p networks such as kazaa to download files really freak me off. I mean I use kazaa as my main source of files such as mp3s, movies and games and now I know I'm risking a fine doing so. First I'm like 15 so I know for sure I won't be able to afford the fine and secondly, my parents will definitely get pissed and disconnect me from the net or remove my PC if they knew that my internet activity was considered 'illegal'. They probs refuse to pay the fine if anything like this happens.

So is there any way that I can be 'safe' using p2p such as kazaa? I believe the p2p filsharing thing is just the RIAA's target for the moment. There are many http sites out there featuring lotsa downloads of this sorts (like full gamez, albumz) but Kazaa is still the no. 1 choice for finding new mp3s or single mp3 songs. Kazaa is indispensible and I need to know how I can be safe using p2ps.

I know the newest klite has some sorta IP spoofer of some sorta that prevents you form being tracked. BUt I prefer using an older version of kazaa and I was wonderig whether there is any external software I can use to ensure that I won't be tracke dor fined.

Thhanks in Advance.

DasScoot
09-14-2003, 08:54 AM
1. Download the latest version of KLite.
2. Make sure your files are hidden.
3. Profit \o/

Why is it you want to use an outdated version?

RealitY
09-14-2003, 09:11 AM
New KL++
1. Hide Shared Files Option (stops viewing of complete shared folder)
2. Disable 1214 Option (where they usually look)
3. Banned IP Ranges Option (stops know hostiles from connecting to you)
Also Read http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=66512.

zapjb
09-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Odds are you're safe. But NO way of guaranteeing that.

RedRival
09-14-2003, 09:41 AM
The new K++ has weird functions and interface that I'm not used to...
Like for some reason the Search More function is auto and you can't do it manual like I always do and the whole thing just not my way of using kazaa.

I think my version is like 1 or 2 versions back from the newest and can I do any of what the new K++ does?

MusicChick
09-14-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by RedRival@14 September 2003 - 03:41
Like for some reason the Search More function is auto and you can't do it manual like I always do and the whole thing just not my way of using kazaa.

I think my version is like 1 or 2 versions back from the newest and can I do any of what the new K++ does?
The auto search more is manual, all you have to do is uncheck the box. The new version is great to me. It may take some getting used to but, if you don't want to get in trouble I would highly suggest using it.

DasScoot
09-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by RedRival@14 September 2003 - 09:41

Wait...you want stuff to keep you safe from the RIAA, but when it's there you don't want to use it?

Anyways, you can use a firewall to block that port, and a proxy to hide your IP, but that's pretty much it if you still want to use Kazaa.

Benno
09-14-2003, 07:12 PM
Im sure your parents arent against it if you show them what they can get through kazaa, my parents come regularly to me and want things. :D

BiLLy_BloggZ
09-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Download PeerGuardian. It wont give full protection but it should help alot

get it at http://www.methlabs.org/methlabs.htm

Switeck
09-15-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by BiLLy_BloggZ@15 September 2003 - 02:39
Download PeerGuardian. It wont give full protection but it should help alot

get it at http://www.methlabs.org/methlabs.htm
Using the same block list that Peer Guardian uses with KL++ v2.4.2 is safer than using Peer Guardian. Peer Guardian only blocks a connection after it's attempted/connected -- KL++ can PREVENT a connection from being made in the first place!

3rd gen noob
09-15-2003, 10:28 AM
people should move to other filesharing alternatives
bittorent is easy to use, it's safer (at the moment) than kazaa and speeds are generally about the same as kazaa
newsgroups can take a while to learn, however, they are extremely fast and if you have a good usenet account (either free with isp or paid) you can get things before they come onto kazaa
irc is easy to use after your client is setup and can be very quick, only the queues put it down

RedRival
09-15-2003, 01:41 PM
I never liked bittorent, I never get good decent speeds using it. Te best I got was 18kb/sec which lasted for like 5mins. And everything else I tried downloading on BT went at only 2kb/sec. Even after waiting for an hr or two, speed still going really slowly. At least with kazaa, when you get a file with a lot of sources, download speed will definitely hit a max.

I will try perrguardian or if push comes to shove, I have to get the new klite.

3rd gen noob
09-15-2003, 01:42 PM
you should try the azureus bitt client
i find it better than any other client

RedRival
09-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@15 September 2003 - 14:42
you should try the azureus bitt client
i find it better than any other client
Does the client really affect your download speed? I'm using shad0w's experimental client and I'm getting the very same results as the original bitt and the other experimental bitt. I'll try this Azureus sooon, btu I've already lost most of my faith in bitt.

RedRival
09-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Benno@14 September 2003 - 20:12
Im sure your parents arent against it if you show them what they can get through kazaa, my parents come regularly to me and want things. :D
My parents really don't care...even if I got something nice for them off kazaa, they won't really bother where I got them. And if they want more, they;ll just ask.. :D

Switeck
09-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@15 September 2003 - 05:28
bittorent is easy to use, it's safer (at the moment) than kazaa and speeds are generally about the same as kazaaActually, when it comes to downloading movies, BitTorrent is monitored probably more heavily than Kazaa is!

Any website that hosts torrents of movies or complete music albums quickly becomes a target for RIAA's or MPAA's monitoring agents.

BitTorrent can EASILY give copyright monitors COMPLETE lists of whoever is trying to download (and upload, due to how BitTorrent works) a certain file.

Such is IMPOSSIBLE on Kazaa.

sharedholder
09-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Actually, when it comes to downloading movies, BitTorrent is monitored probably more heavily than Kazaa is!

Right!!

Switeck
09-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by sharedholder@15 September 2003 - 10:19

Actually, when it comes to downloading movies, BitTorrent is monitored probably more heavily than Kazaa is!
Right!!I need to add that Kazaa IS heavily monitored, but due to how BIG the fasttrack network is, it's possible even likely for the monitoring agents to miss download attempts for a movie. After all, downloads on Kazaa are point-to-point -- you connect directly to the computer sharing the file without any fasttrack connections in the middle (unless you or the other end is FIREWALLED/behind a router). Because of that, the download request would NOT be broadcast on the network. (However, your initial search for the movie/album/whatever IS broadcast -- but I think searching is still legal. :P )

With the experimental BitTorrent, you get complete ip lists of who you're trying to download from/with. This is very convenient for the RIAA/MPAA/BSA, as they DON'T even have to make specialized programs of their own to do so! They just have to link the ip addresses to ISPs... then make a couple phonecalls or emails. :(