PDA

View Full Version : Hacking A DS Lite...

brotherdoobie
01-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I've read a few articles and understand the process (nice and simple). However, I am looking for any advice or tips from someone who has experience with the process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peace, brotherdoobie

Proper Bo
01-27-2009, 12:58 AM
What are ewe wanting to do, play snide gheymes?

Detale
01-27-2009, 03:28 AM
I know you'd prob rather eat razorblades then get any help from me but I know a bit about this. I just got one for the wife and it's incredibly easy. Buy this CycloDS Evolution Card (http://www.dealwoot.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=29825) and get yourself a MicroSD card and the NDS downloads are all over usenet. You can update the firmware to the latest one from their site (http://www.dealwoot.com/index.php?target=pages&page_id=down_load). There are tons of homebrew apps out there like an organizer thats pretty cool and some apps to play music and video also a web browser but I have yet to get that to work. Thats all there is to it really.

Credit goes out to Reality as he showed me most all of this stuff ;)

Proper Bo
01-27-2009, 03:46 AM
I've got one of those, as has the wench and mulder. True story.

edit: I'd recommend getting the firmware updates form the cyclo ds site, like
http://www.cyclopsds.com/cgi-bin/cyclods/engine.pl?page=support

kaffeine
01-27-2009, 03:48 AM
I know you'd prob rather eat razorblades then get any help from me

I rather watch you eat those razorblades :smilie4:

brotherdoobie
01-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the help, Bo and Detale. I've been reading about DSTT cards ($31.99 with a 4GB MicroSD card). I've noticed they're a bit cheaper than the CycloDS cards.

Opinions?

Peace, doobs

Proper Bo
01-27-2009, 06:13 AM
I've never used any other than the cyclo so I couldn't comment on it, however, I've never had a single problem with the cyclo and everything I've tried on it has wurked without any problem. True story.

brotherdoobie
01-27-2009, 06:18 AM

I'm having dinner with my wife's family tonight. Her sister is doing the cooking. Her sister should never set foot in a kitchen - ever.

Fact.

-bd :cry:

brotherdoobie
01-27-2009, 06:25 AM
I've never used any other than the cyclo so I couldn't comment on it, however, I've never had a single problem with the cyclo and everything I've tried on it has wurked without any problem. True story.

I think I'll go with the Cyclo. Reliability > -$ It looks like it will work with the DSi, also.
Sweet.

-bd

Detale
01-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I asked a few people when I was looking and all signs pointed to this one over the competitors for the fact that they upgrade their firmware often and are still offering support for their product.

Yeah but who cares what you think:P If it were Chav maybe I'd cry

kaffeine
01-27-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't have a DS, but I helped a friend of mine with one. At the time, the R4 was a pretty good solution. He's never complained about it.

nemrac
01-27-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't have a DS, but I helped a friend of mine with one. At the time, the R4 was a pretty good solution. He's never complained about it.

The R4 use to be great, but they do not provide firmware updates anymore so some of the newer games do not work.

The DSTT is quite good too. Firmware is updated all the time.

Nemrac

Busyman
01-28-2009, 03:46 AM
I've read a few articles and understand the process (nice and simple). However, I am looking for any advice or tips from someone who has experience with the process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peace, brotherdoobie

I bought a R4 Revolution for my daughter and it works flawlessly.

Caveats:

There are no more firmware updates for the R4.
R4s do not with SD cards over 2GB or SDHC.
R4s that say R4 III or just about anything else are fake (but I heard still work, just not from the original manufacturers)

I just bought 2 TT DSs (Top Toy) and they should arrive next week.
It works with SDHC cards (up to 32GB I think).
I got them from DealExtreme for less than $7 a piece with free shipping.

The new AceKard Si is THE ONLY confirmed card to work with the DSi.
-------
Anyway, with the R4 (bought from Dangbox, came with 1GB card) the firmware was already loaded onto the card. Otherwise, you simply load it on there yourself via the makers website. The R4 came with a USB key with micro SD slot.

I made a Games folder.

Downloaded a 1.15GB torrent of 50 most popular DS games. Took about 20 minutes.

Grabbed about 15 of the games and moved them into the Games folder on the SD card.

Popped the SD card in the slot on the R4, plugged the R4 into the DS and a menu pops up for Games (and other things).

My daughter chooses the game she wants to play and BAM, she's off and running.
------

I just bought 2 4GB sd cards from Amazon for $16 total.

They had 8GB available for $17 each but they wouldn't ship for a month (weird).

The thing you want to do is basically load up all boatload o games onto the R4 (or whatever) so you are not constantly pulling the sd card out.

gbatemps.com has reviews on just about every "legit" card made.

I told my best friend about this and he immediately bought R4s for his family.

Almost all cards support wi-fi so on those long trips, folks can play each other.

PlayeR
01-28-2009, 02:08 PM
lots of people have already given useful info..

you might want to check this (http://www.pspiso.com/index.php) out. it focuses more on psp but they have section for DS too.. you can download games from there too

kaffeine
01-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm having dinner with my wife's family tonight. Her sister is doing the cooking. Her sister should never set foot in a kitchen - ever.

Fact.

How was it?

How sick is her dog now?

brotherdoobie
01-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the help, all. Busy, do you play the DS? I bought one for my son and had to
get myself one. I'm addicted, ffs.

-bd :happy:

brotherdoobie
01-29-2009, 01:22 AM

Fact.

How was it?

How sick is her dog now?

Her dog is fine. I'm not doing so good myself, however. I should of slipped it
to the dog. I hate that fucking dog. She's spoiled to the max.

-bd

kaffeine
01-29-2009, 03:07 PM
You missed a win-win situation. Not to worry though, I'm sure the opportunity will come again...

many times.

brotherdoobie
01-29-2009, 08:16 PM
You're harsh prick, Kaffeine.

-bd :fist:

kaffeine
01-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Alternatively, you can tell her you rather eat nuclear waste than her food (I don't know how that's going to work with the wife though).

brotherdoobie
02-01-2009, 04:15 AM
How was it?

How sick is her dog now?

Her dog is fine. I'm not doing so good myself, however. I should of slipped it
to the dog. I hate that fucking dog. She's spoiled to the max.

-bd

I must of been wopped to the max, ffs. :ermm:

-bd

Proper Bo
02-01-2009, 04:17 AM
Indeed, using "of" instead of "have", ffs:no:

brotherdoobie
02-01-2009, 04:27 AM
Indeed, using "of" instead of "have", ffs:no:

:pinch:

-bd