PDA

View Full Version : cable internet infrastructure question

shishio64
01-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone,

i have a question regarding the cable internet infrastructure...
i get regular cable tv in my rented apartment when i connect the existing coaxial cables coming out of the wall to my TV and i was wondering if i could connect in this way to the cable internet too if i get a cable modem and an internet provider without paying for the infrastructure providing company (the company that deals with the wiring, modem and such) or the fact that i can get free cable doesnt mean i can get connected to the cable internet for free? i dont konw how it goes in other countries but in mine, to get an internet connection you need to pay monthly for an internet provider and an internet infrastructure supplyer and i just want to know if in this way i can omit payment for the latter?

thanks for anyone who can help!

tesco
01-31-2009, 02:52 PM
That tv signal is coming from somewhere isn't it?
What company provides it?
You can call them to discuss the options...

If it's an aerial signal or a stolen signal then you won't get any internet on cable lines. ;)

shishio64
01-31-2009, 03:56 PM
i know that the company who provides the tv cable signal also provides digital tv cables and internet and phone cable signals. are those different signals? i thought they use the same signal since its the same provider and infrastructure... i remember that the company once provided my parents house with digital tv cables and internet cable and i managed to connect to xbox live using the TV cable output...

If it's an aerial signal or a stolen signal then you won't get any internet on cable lines. ;)

can you explain why? im interested to know how this things work...

i think its a "stolen" signal that im getting...

tesco
01-31-2009, 04:16 PM
i know that the company who provides the tv cable signal also provides digital tv cables and internet and phone cable signals. are those different signals? i thought they use the same signal since its the same provider and infrastructure... i remember that the company once provided my parents house with digital tv cables and internet cable and i managed to connect to xbox live using the TV cable output...

can you explain why? im interested to know how this things work...

i think its a "stolen" signal that im getting...
I may be wrong but my basic understanding of how it works is any cable modem can connect to the internet through the cable lines if the network supports it, but it has to be approved by the company that owns the network. They take some code from the modem and enter it into their system then the modem will have access.
So you can't just go and buy a modem and hook it up and expect it to work. It won't. You need to subscribe to their services. It's up to the provider if they want to charge you for tv services on top of the internet fee.
If you subscribed to internet only they;'d likely come to your house and install a 'filter' that blocks the tv signal on the line coming into your apartment/house. It is possible to remove but illegal.

shishio64
01-31-2009, 05:16 PM
ok :ermm:

thanks tesco, thats all i needed to know....