PDA

View Full Version : Bad Lieutenant

brotherdoobie
02-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Is one of the bestest and baddest movies of all time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103759/

-bd

Detale
02-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Why because you see Harvey Keitel naked??

brotherdoobie
02-01-2009, 06:16 PM
No, it's because the movie is fucking excellent. The film's main protagonist sticks needles in his arm, snorts coke, masturbates while hitting the crack pipe in front of women he pulls over, and is generally one step away from a complete breakdown.

It's about sin and redemption.

-bd :snooty:

IdolEyes787
02-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Glad you enjoyed it(if enjoyed is a word you can use with Bad Lieutenant)can't say I totally share the same enthusiasm.

Imo almost all the praise for this movie stems from Harvey Keitel's totally fearless in your face performance but actually take that and the shock value away of certain scenes away and it's barely passable as cinema .
Besides the lack of logic the movie's biggest flaw is it's pacing which even for a character study borders on glacial.That and it's heavy handed as hell(what's the adage "truth speaks in whispers").
Redemption is a powerful subject no need to hit people over the head with a large spikey bat about it.

I realize that it's a memorable maybe even remarkable film but memorable isn't synonymous with competent which is how I tend to judge movies.

Hope you watched the nc-17 version at least to get the full effect.

brotherdoobie
02-01-2009, 09:06 PM
I don't watch movies to judge them. Which is how I tend to watch them. Competency is overrated. My accountant is competent. He won't even take his shirt off at the beach.

-bd

IdolEyes787
02-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I don't watch movies to judge them either as you are right that is not what they are there for.
Regrettably it just happens to be a consequence(at least in my case) of the experience- to compare and form an opinion based on what I've seen.
I will be the first to admit though that my opinion isn't the only one that matters.
And like I've said before if I don't like something it's more my loss than anything.

Btw my accountant isn't very competent but since she has been known to take her top off at the beach I tend to overlook it.

The Flying Cow
02-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Idol;

Tell her I said hello.

The Flying Cow
02-01-2009, 10:36 PM

Why would that make the movie the 'bestest, baddest of all time'? :huh:

peat moss
02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
That was a good movie , loved Harvey in it. If I had that power would probably abuse it as well .

brotherdoobie
02-02-2009, 06:51 AM

Why would that make the movie the 'bestest, baddest of all time'? :huh:

Because Detale is one of those gheys and he has a crush on Harvey, obviously.

-bd

Detale
02-04-2009, 08:13 AM
YEAH BUT WHO DOESN'T!!!

Na the movie is in my all time top 10 Shirley ;)