PDA

View Full Version : How About Automatic Cancelling

Ael
09-15-2003, 07:57 PM
How about automatic cancelling of upload to ppl that dont share ?

It would be really cool to have this feature, it's really annoying to have 5 ppl downloading from you and none of them share a goddam single file.

Maybe there are reasons against such a "feature" ?

Usually when I see ppl downloading from me and I have nothing good to do, I do a search for files they have, if 2 searches come empty I cancel their download and stop sharing the file they wanted (that's the only way to stop them downloading from you), these ppl don't deserve to use p2p. It would be cool to i.e. block an IP from downloading from you, that way you can still share the file to other ppl. And if klite could do that automatically, that'd maybe increase the number of good p2p users ?

Guillaume
09-15-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Ael@15 September 2003 - 20:57

Yep, that would be nice, if only we could know for sure who shares and who doesn't! Remember: privacy patch?

Ael
09-15-2003, 08:04 PM
hmmm
how does that privacy patch work ? It allows to find files from ppl the usual way (search button) but prevents searching files looking by the username ? (I just got these new things, dunno for sure yet)

Guillaume
09-15-2003, 08:32 PM
No, not exactly... It lets you share but prevent people from getting a list of all your shared files : the "find more from same user" function won't be effective on you...
But that may lead some into thinking you're leeching ! :(

Ael
09-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Well, what's that "privacy policy" good for then ? I'd for sure trade that privacy thing for an "leecher fvker" system anytime...

EDIT:It could be made such a way that whenever someone starts downloading from you, your klite does a simple request to the downloader, i.e., person starts downloading a 100MB video file from you, your klite then sends a request to the downloader and asks his klite if at least 50MB of video files are being shared, if there is enough files being shared, he can download, otherwise he'll be blocked from downloading that video from ppl, he'd then receive a warning telling him why, and he would get more video files and share before getting the bigger ones... Dunno if that system can or cannot be easily cracked though, that's the only problem...
It wouldn't require a full list of his files too, not much bandwidth wasted here.

sharedholder
09-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Already maded ,but i don't know if works or not

From the site:

Kazaa Kontrol Leech Killer is a Kazaa utility that will check each person in your download que. It will check to see if they are sharing files and if they are not sharing then a message will be sent to them saying,"You must share to download from this person" and then their download is canceled. If enough people use Kazaa Kontrol then more people will share... which means faster downloads and more files for everyone!!! Kazaa Kontrol also has Mega Search and SuperNode Hop Functions!!

Kazaa Kontrol Leech Killer (http://www.kazaakontrol.com/)

downloader2008
09-15-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Ael@15 September 2003 - 14:57

It would be really cool to have this feature, it's really annoying to have 5 ppl downloading from you and none of them share a goddam single file.

Maybe there are reasons against such a "feature" ?

Usually when I see ppl downloading from me and I have nothing good to do, I do a search for files they have, if 2 searches come empty I cancel their download and stop sharing the file they wanted (that's the only way to stop them downloading from you), these ppl don't deserve to use p2p. It would be cool to i.e. block an IP from downloading from you, that way you can still share the file to other ppl. And if klite could do that automatically, that'd maybe increase the number of good p2p users ?
Exactly how many times has this been brought up? <_< A lot.... Try doing a search before posting... Out of all the times this has been posted: It would not be smart to do because sometimes Kazaa has to look up a user name more then once for it to show the list of files and don&#39;t forget the privacy patch. You&#39;d be a leech trying to prevent others from leeching by cancelling other people&#39;s downloads who really are sharing.

Ael
09-15-2003, 09:31 PM
hmmm, interesting, but 2 problems...
1 - It&#39;s not free (and certainly hard to find, u know a link?) =(
2(not so big) - It&#39;s 1 year old, it wouldn&#39;t be very good to use nowadays with that pivacy thing (it would only hurt those that use the privacy thing though).

Ael
09-15-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by downloader2008@15 September 2003 - 21:26
Out of all the times this has been posted: It would not be smart to do because sometimes Kazaa has to look up a user name more then once for it to show the list of files
Well, just make it search 5x, if it stills find nothing but the person has files, he can try downloading again, until it works...

and don&#39;t forget the privacy patch.
I didn&#39;t.

Kexor
09-16-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by sharedholder@15 September 2003 - 21:16
Already maded ,but i don&#39;t know if works or not

From the site:

Kazaa Kontrol Leech Killer is a Kazaa utility that will check each person in your download que. It will check to see if they are sharing files and if they are not sharing then a message will be sent to them saying,"You must share to download from this person" and then their download is canceled. If enough people use Kazaa Kontrol then more people will share... which means faster downloads and more files for everyone&#33;&#33;&#33; Kazaa Kontrol also has Mega Search and SuperNode Hop Functions&#33;&#33;

Kazaa Kontrol Leech Killer (http://www.kazaakontrol.com/)

Just clicked on yor link - Had a look at your Page - Returned to Traffic Window - And suddenly all the Low users are been canceled

Is this just a coincidence &#33;&#33;&#33; Lol :D

Ael
09-16-2003, 01:34 AM
Just clicked on yor link - Had a look at your Page - Returned to Traffic Window - And suddenly all the Low users are been canceled

The problem is that you might also have cancelled users that were sharing and using the "privacy patch"...
And now I see why ppl need that patch, seems like at least on this subject RIAA and the like managed to hurt p2p.
If kazaa could make a different type of search, so that ppl could hide what files they were sharing, but klite could tell you if they were at least sharing a decent amount of MBs, the idea would work, RIAA wouldn&#39;t be able to tell what files you were sharing, and you would be able to cancel users that were not sharing anything leaving the good users downloading.

sharedholder
09-16-2003, 01:36 AM
:blink: :blink: http://www.kazaakontrol.com/

MUSLEMAN
09-16-2003, 01:53 AM
how many times are we going to do this?? there is no way of knowing who is shares or not

Kexor
09-16-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Ael@16 September 2003 - 01:34

The problem is that you might also have cancelled users that were sharing and using the "privacy patch"...
And now I see why ppl need that patch, seems like at least on this subject RIAA and the like managed to hurt p2p.
If kazaa could make a different type of search, so that ppl could hide what files they were sharing, but klite could tell you if they were at least sharing a decent amount of MBs, the idea would work, RIAA wouldn&#39;t be able to tell what files you were sharing, and you would be able to cancel users that were not sharing anything leaving the good users downloading.

No - it was&#39;nt that - I had the Big Guys kick the Little Guys out box unchecked - [ Well it proves that it works - Cheers ] ;)

MUSLEMAN
09-16-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Kexor+15 September 2003 - 22:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kexor @ 15 September 2003 - 22:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ael@16 September 2003 - 01:34

No - it was&#39;nt that - I had the Big Guys kick the Little Guys out box unchecked - [ Well it proves that it works - Cheers ] ;) [/b][/quote]
wtf :unsure: :blink: :unsure: :blink:

Ael
09-16-2003, 02:34 AM
how many times are we going to do this?? there is no way of knowing who is shares or not
As I said...

No - it was&#39;nt that - I had the Big Guys kick the Little Guys out box unchecked - [ Well it proves that it works - Cheers ]
You mean that after you runned the program it kicked ppl with low PL and ppl with high PL got in their place ? Well, that doesn&#39;t mean anything with PL hack giving ppl 1000PL... You could still have kicked ppl that were sharing and ppl with PL hack and no share got in their place... Dunno if that&#39;s what you meant though... :huh:

MUSLEMAN
09-16-2003, 02:35 AM
it can&#39;t be done

Ael
09-16-2003, 02:40 AM
why not ?
such a simple thing, it runs client side, get list of shared files, get their sizes, sum it up, send to the person who requested it...

MUSLEMAN
09-16-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Ael@15 September 2003 - 22:40
why not ?
such a simple thing, it runs client side, get list of shared files, get their sizes, sum it up, send to the person who requested it...
you are right it is simple, so we&#39;ll have you make, second what the hell does the size of someones folder have anything to do with what and how much they are sharing??? <_<

Ael
09-16-2003, 02:50 AM
As I said...

It could be made such a way that whenever someone starts downloading from you, your klite does a simple request to the downloader, i.e., person starts downloading a 100MB video file from you, your klite then sends a request to the downloader and asks his klite if at least 50MB of video files are being shared, if there is enough files being shared, he can download, otherwise he&#39;ll be blocked from downloading that video from ppl

MUSLEMAN
09-16-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Ael@15 September 2003 - 22:50
As I said...

It could be made such a way that whenever someone starts downloading from you, your klite does a simple request to the downloader, i.e., person starts downloading a 100MB video file from you, your klite then sends a request to the downloader and asks his klite if at least 50MB of video files are being shared, if there is enough files being shared, he can download, otherwise he&#39;ll be blocked from downloading that video from ppl
as i said how would klite know what you share, if there was a way of figuring out that you are shaging 50mb then we just need to know whether you are sharing or not, for get the rest, and that can&#39;t be done, there is no way to make klite check to see if you are sharing or not, it would need to moniter your uploads, that means it would need to upload something from you before letting you download, and that in it self would have many problems, can&#39;t be done

Ael
09-16-2003, 03:10 AM
Hmm, I guess you didn&#39;t understood...

as i said how would klite know what you share
It already does, once you connect it scans for the files in your shared folders, it even says the amount of files you share already besides your username on the lower status bar.

if there was a way of figuring out that you are shaging 50mb then we just need to know whether you are sharing or not
The idea behind seeing if the person was sharing 50MB in my example was to avoid the situation where someone sharing a 1MB video would be able to download a 600x larger 600MB video, however if he had to share at least 50% the amount (in size) of the file he wants to download, there&#39;d be more files being shared.

for get the rest, and that can&#39;t be done, there is no way to make klite check to see if you are sharing or not, it would need to moniter your uploads, that means it would need to upload something from you before letting you download, and that in it self would have many problems, can&#39;t be done
It would not need to monitor anything, the idea is, if someone is sharing videos totalizing 100MB of video files, he can download a video up to 200MB, he doesn&#39;t need to actually have uploaded 100MB, only sharing would be enough.

MUSLEMAN
09-16-2003, 03:23 AM
boss this is all a waist of time no need to worry about it just do your thing none of the developers are worried about it, its not an issue

Ael
09-16-2003, 03:40 AM
I don&#39;t think that&#39;s either a waste of time or not an issue. When you think of p2p, it takes ppl sharing files for it to work and exist properly, but there are those that share nothing, or very little, that ruin with the idea, they eat bandwidth from ppl that are correctly using the p2p network, all they do is decrease it&#39;s quality. Getting rid of these ppl that contribute in nothing is a great thing.
There are however 2 issues with this idea that I can think of.
1 - I dunno how easily it could be cracked, maybe too easily, maybe not...
2 - It would be problematic in the fasttrack network if only Klite used the system, ppl using the other software without such feature would have trouble downloading (but that could be fixed if the other programs also started to support it)...

BiLLy_BloggZ
09-16-2003, 11:53 AM
i guess someone could make a program that shows how much you are sharing in total filesize without showing the actual filesyou are sharing and block all the people who are sharing 0MB, but unfortunately everyone would have to be using that program for it to work.

Sparkle1984
09-16-2003, 03:07 PM
I just share with everyone, regardless of whether they give anything in return.
If you keep trying to ban people then the whole thing might escalate.

Barbarossa
09-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@16 September 2003 - 15:07
This is the only sensible way to be. Anything else just becomes tiresome.

:)

MUSLEMAN
09-16-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by barbarossa+16 September 2003 - 12:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (barbarossa @ 16 September 2003 - 12:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984@16 September 2003 - 15:07

:) [/b][/quote]
you see everybody knows its a waist of time, just share the rest will take care of its self, i agree with both of you barbarossa & Sparkle1984 :lol:

Ael
09-16-2003, 08:07 PM
What do you mean ? What will escalate into what ? If you mean that the number of files might escalate (I take it that you mean escalate = going up), well, isn&#39;t that a great thing ?

Why tiresome ? The process I mentioned is completely automatic, if you share files you won&#39;t even notice any difference from the current system (except that you will find more sources for your files). How does it become tiresome ?

just share the rest will take care of its self
Of course we can all just share, but it will be much better to us if we share files to those that also help the network, not to those that only know how to leech. That system would surely increase the number of files shared, I don&#39;t know why you think this is useless.

Kexor
09-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Ael@16 September 2003 - 03:10

as i said how would klite know what you share

It already does, once you connect it scans for the files in your shared folders, it even says the amount of files you share already besides your username on the lower status bar.

I agree with this - All klite has to do is scan the user and if it finds the phrase " Not Sharing Any Files " - Gives them a warning message and cancells the download - Cheers :D

BCCorn
09-16-2003, 08:38 PM
If this existed and we all used it how would anyone new to sharing ever download anything?

They couldn&#39;t download until they had 50Mb of shared files and they couldn&#39;t get those files until they download which they couldn&#39;t do until they had 50Mb of shared files.......

I&#39;m getting dizzy. http://smilieworx.com/smilies/scif2A1.gif

Ael
09-16-2003, 09:33 PM
I agree with this - All klite has to do is scan the user and if it finds the phrase " Not Sharing Any Files " - Gives them a warning message and cancells the download - Cheers
Yeah, that&#39;s almost what I said, but if you read my other msgs you will find that the way I proposed was slightly better, you&#39;d be able to download based on how much do you share, so sharing a 1 MB file wouldn&#39;t be as good as sharing 50.

If this existed and we all used it how would anyone new to sharing ever download anything?

They couldn&#39;t download until they had 50Mb of shared files and they couldn&#39;t get those files until they download which they couldn&#39;t do until they had 50Mb of shared files.......
Something like that was never said.
I said

The idea behind seeing if the person was sharing 50MB in my example was to avoid the situation where someone sharing a 1MB video would be able to download a 600x larger 600MB video, however if he had to share at least 50% the amount (in size) of the file he wants to download, there&#39;d be more files being shared.
Add small edit to the quote above, change the word "video" to "file".

BTW, anyone can start their "collection" of shared files downloading some from the sites and sharing them, that would allow the new users to get bigger files, not that it is so much needed though, once you download and install klite, it already put it&#39;s installation in your shared folder, so you already have something to start with, get a few MP3s and you will be able to download bigger files in a small time, you just have to keep sharing.

toddiscool
09-16-2003, 10:12 PM
There is a big problem inherint while using a quota system - that is an increas in garbabge files on the network. By making people have to share an amount they would not deleted fakes/corrupted files.

Aswell people would copy and paste there shared folder and share it - the case on direct connect.

There is aslo is an argument that kazaa has been used to get personal information - blah blah, I agree that this is bull(that is from theat congress video this that was around a few months age)
Total bullshit then, but when people have to share and amount they will share system files adding a basis for the security issues of kazaa that people have attempted to argue.

Or lets say that i just got a new game, pre released no one has it, so I only share it and post the hash so more people can get it. For this I would not be able to download anything bigger than that file.

Quota systems are stupid in "most networks", the hub system of direct connect is an exception.