PDA

View Full Version : Riaa Goes Wabbit Hunting

randomthoughts
09-16-2003, 12:51 AM
The RIAA is just plain sickining now.....
Suing all sorts of people261 so far...
including a 12 yr old
where do our rights come out of the Audio Home Recording Act...I thought that had some protection...
Our country should be ashamed for allowing such FRICKIN STUPID lawsuits to take place.

What do you think?

List of articles associtated with this and more
http://dock-command.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287

3rd gen noob
09-16-2003, 12:53 AM
guess who's glad he's not in america...?

(big clue: me :rolleyes: )

Pitbul
09-16-2003, 12:59 AM
just to make sure u know Canada and Germany both have groups similiar to the RIAA and i wont be surprized one bit of England soon gets one.

clocker
09-16-2003, 01:02 AM
Just to make sure you know....

This should be moved to Filesharing!

Rat Faced
09-16-2003, 01:05 AM
Briatin has got one.

BPI.

However, altough they dont encourage p2p.......they have no plans to go hunting ppl either, as their surveys show that p2p INCREASES Album sales, although does have a devastating effect on singles sales.

The BPI concentrates on finding pirates that sell ripped off albums at Car Boot Sales and Markets etc.

They arent that bothered about people that download music for themselves, especially since to actually find the copyrighted stuff in the UK, they would be travelling a very nasty legal minefield, due to the UK privacy and IT Laws.

vader
09-16-2003, 01:36 AM
I talked to my lan provider and they said it is not illegal for me to download , but it is illegal to upload at all. They said to not share, this includes everything. Thats cable though. High speed sympatico does not care because they are giving you a specific amount of bandwidth all the time, so they don't care if it's comming in or going out. Cable won't let you act as a server because it eats up the shared bandwidth with your neighbors out on the street, where there can be as many as 6 connections. ;)

AND so proving with a few simple calls that it is at least legal to download in CANADA............YA BABY :rolleyes: :D

MagicNakor
09-16-2003, 02:06 AM
:lol: Canada doesn't have anything like the RIAA. It has an organization that shares some of the initials, but the similarity ends there.

The original reason I was going to respond to this, though, was because anything can happen in a country where you can sue McDonald's for making you fat. Or if you spill coffee on yourself at a drive-thru. Or sue the city if you trip in a gopher hole in a city park. Or the car company if your son dies in a car crash because he was a careless driver. Or sue Sea World because they don't tell you that swimming naked with killer whales is a Bad Idea. Or so on. ;)

:ninja:

wormless
09-16-2003, 03:40 AM
they aint gonna do nothing in eng cus they too damn lazy

RealitY
09-16-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by randomthoughts+16 September 2003 - 01:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (randomthoughts &#064; 16 September 2003 - 01:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>List of articles associtated with this and more
http://dock-command.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287 [/b]
This is now the second post I&#39;ve seen pointing to this site that you happen to be a moderator at, since you have chosen to spam the forum, then I will quote my original response from HERE (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?act=ST&f=48&t=62694&st=0#entry456457)...
<!--QuoteBegin-REALITY
I cannot believe you are actually a moderator at any fourm stating...

the recording industry is at again....darn overpricing devils&#33;
but seriously they are tryin to "witch hunt" again.....
just like in the first and last Napster Days...
261 ppl have lawsuits filed against them.......
There is an amnesty form but you must do the following....
1. Delete your filsharing soft and all MP3s
2. Sign form saying you&#39;ll never do it again...
3. Get it notarized
4. Mail it to them.....

Tips for filesharing....if you dare to do it....
Don&#39;t share with others....here take and not give....for the giving part Clearly steps into that little place called...Completely Illegal.....
You are riskin it on your own....laws change...be careful.....

just disable others to download from you....
I had to STOP reading at that point...[/quote]
Also, don&#39;t © infringe of my Wabbit humor, suppoter of the LEECH at large.

vader
09-16-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@16 September 2003 - 02:06
:lol: Canada doesn&#39;t have anything like the RIAA. It has an organization that shares some of the initials, but the similarity ends there.

The original reason I was going to respond to this, though, was because anything can happen in a country where you can sue McDonald&#39;s for making you fat. Or if you spill coffee on yourself at a drive-thru. Or sue the city if you trip in a gopher hole in a city park. Or the car company if your son dies in a car crash because he was a careless driver. Or sue Sea World because they don&#39;t tell you that swimming naked with killer whales is a Bad Idea. Or so on. ;)

every example you gave is related to the laws of of the land. in each case there was reason to apply the write to sew, no matter what you think about the case itself. just as clear are laws protecting my writes as OWNER of the airwaves in Canada.You can&#39;t take what is not yours in the first place.And the use of a p.c. to capture files from a service provided hear falls under that guidline and for the most part that is a good reason why it will not be persued in Canada..All the U.S. lawers put together could not change this. ;) :blink:

MagicNakor
09-16-2003, 06:07 AM
I believe I know Canadian law a slight bit better than you, vader. I&#39;m connected to a law firm around here. ;)

Most of those cases were thrown out. Some (the fast-food-made-me-fat one) was thrown out multiple times.

You can take what is not yours. Generally it&#39;s considered theft.

If you&#39;ve got a black box set up to nab satellite signals that you&#39;re not paying for, it is illegal. It&#39;s in section 29.8 of the Copyright Act. If you&#39;re copying it for private use, you&#39;re covered by section 80. Unless you&#39;re distributing, regardless if it&#39;s for the purpose of trade. If you&#39;re distributing, it&#39;s illegal.

Gre1
09-16-2003, 06:15 AM
Yeah they are trying to crack down alot but I think they will eventually get tired of it and try to pass some bullshit law like they are doing now.

vader
09-16-2003, 03:10 PM
sure you are, if you were you would know better. bla bla bla. being or not being connected to a law firm changes nothing . I know what I am talking about and no matter how many bitches like Sheila Copps there are my writes remain the same. Radio Communications act section 2 and 2-b and (7),Spend some more time reading and you&#39;ll find that higher laws prevail and that there is no way as an end user I can be affected. stop pipping your crap around and stirring up the scare pot. First you use each lawsuite to support your statement , then you say they were all thrown out. maybee you are connected to a law firm , you talk like a lawer- if it&#39;s so illegal to trap a signal then how come I been enjoying it for almost 8 years and never heard of anyone but Sheila Copps who gave a crap. I&#39;ll tell you why . If a law conflicts with another law then the higher law must prevail, in this case my writes in this country are greater than the writes of buisness. Sheila Copps was asked to leave the situation with sattelites alone by our government and stop pandering to American Broadcast companies, being reminded that she is not American . She did not ( likely because they paid her off) and the week Ernie Eves came in she was right back at it. But it has changed nothing. Go back to other kinds of laws cause you do not make any good argument&#39;s here. And although I already knew all this, I just spent 2-hours on line making sure what was true a year ago is still the same today, and it is. So go pay your cable bill and leave the rest to the best..........lol :P And yes sharing copywrited material is illegal but you don&#39;t have to be to informed to know that

N£MO
09-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Living in England has never been so good.

Phoenix_1
09-16-2003, 06:04 PM
The RIAA is getting so much public relations backlash from those lawsuits that I wonder if they&#39;ll be stupid enough to do it again. Either way, they&#39;re losing money fast and I&#39;m glad. Bastards.