PDA

View Full Version : Are violent video games adequately preparing our kids for the apocalypse?

SonsOfLiberty
03-01-2009, 10:11 PM
http://media.strategywiki.org/images/thumb/0/04/Fallout_3_box.jpg/250px-Fallout_3_box.jpg Are violent video games adequately preparing our kids for the apocalypse?
Feb 25 2009

Video games can be beneficial. They better our children's hand-eye coordination, spatial relationship understanding and teach the basics of strategy. But are they doing enough to prepare them for a nuclear future and zombie infestations?

The Onion's "In The Know" program touches on this extremely topical debate, questioning whether our violent video game-playing youth are going to enter a post-apocalyptic world with the necessary preparedness to dispatch zombies as well as Chris Redfield or fend off cybernetic mutant attacks as easily in the virtual world. Sure, they may know how to swallow a vial of pills to protect themselves from falling victim to the undead in a simulation, but in the inevitable armageddon?

Good points all around here, including some good insight into basic survival needs missing from many current games. Food for thought. Concerned parents should definitely pay attention.

Make sure to watch the video :lol:

:source: Source: Video Game Video Via "The Onion" (http://www.theonion.com/content/video/are_violent_video_games?utm_source=a-section)

tesco
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
:lol:

Barbarossa
03-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Fat video-game playing kids who can't run away will be first ones to be cooked and eaten following the breakdown of civilisation :dabs:

clocker
03-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Fat video-game playing kids who can't run away will be first ones to be cooked and eaten following the breakdown of civilisation :dabs:
So the video games are preparing them for their future role as "protein source"...you have a problem with that?

Barbarossa
03-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Certainly not. Bring it on!

ninja92d
03-02-2009, 12:20 AM
wow, never thought of this before. a funny/interesting topic... hmm hard to say whether they would help or not. I guess it gives kids ideas about possible situations, which is helpful. so i guess yes! haha yes they help :D

Artemis
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Having a 10 year old son my self who has proudly discovered a programming bug in one of his games which allows him to stick zombies into a wall and have them just hanging there, I am kind of confused how achievements like this could be deemed a 'skill set'.

Another major problem of course with virtual reality is the ability to reset or go back to the last save game if you inadvertently get wasted by something large and menacing. Unfortunately in reak life there is no save game, once something is lopped off by the zombie it stays off, and of course dead is most certainly dead. Of course if the thing that deprives you of life is really a zombie, then you get to go be part of the zombie gang.

I think that although improved hand eye coordination and the ability to grasp tactics may be considered advantages it is the belief in invincibility conferred by being able to go back to the last saved game which will be the downfall of our future post apocolyptic warriors. They are all going to rush out guns blazing and become snacky treats before they get a chance to hit the restore button.

Barbarossa
03-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately in reak life there is no save game, once something is lopped off by the zombie it stays off, and of course dead is most certainly dead. Of course if the thing that deprives you of life is really a zombie, then you get to go be part of the zombie gang.

:eyebrows:

Those real-life zombies, eh. Watch out for them... :blink: