PDA

View Full Version : Is "Whom" still legal?

100%
03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Is the use of "whom" in a sentence, regarded as proper English, or is it seen as nostalgically arrogant?

eg.
....her brother, whom i always thought was a slimyb.. etc

second question
is "Who(m)" an adverb,noun, word etc what is the correct categorisation of this four letter word?

Skiz
03-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Yes, it's proper English.

The rule of thumb is to remember that "who" is the subject and "whom" is an object.

Who is that guy?
Twelve people are on a jury, 7 of whom are men.

Make sense? :unsure:

callum
03-06-2009, 01:21 AM
I don't think I have ever spoken the word whom or written it.
I would probably say "Twelve people are on a jury, 7 of them are men". I don't know if skizo's example is just shit, but i think it sounds better and even if I were a user of whom, I'd probably go with what I said.

Skiz
03-06-2009, 02:23 AM
I seldom use it. I've probably used "whom" in college papers more than any time in the rest of my life combined.

callum
03-06-2009, 02:42 AM
Probably best to ignore what I said. I'd struggle to write a sentence in joined up letters, the only time I have to put something down on paper I just use block capitals, I only ever write short notes or lists. You used to be a number 7 on the list, but I scored you out. I do type more than I write, but it's all shite.

apextwin146
03-06-2009, 04:38 AM
Yes, it's proper English.

The rule of thumb is to remember that "who" is the subject and "whom" is an object.

Who is that guy?
Twelve people are on a jury, 7 of whom are men.

Make sense? :unsure:
What he says is correct ... This is what they teach you in those High Profile GMAT books .. Maybe Skizo just gave one :shifty:

Squeamous
03-06-2009, 07:49 AM
I reckon Skizo's sounds like the right description. I usually only use it for effect when swearing or whatever rather than normally because people might think it's a bit old fashioned.
Another one is 'whilst'. When I was 10 a teacher told me off for using it because he said no-one said that anymore.

Artemis
03-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Yet another word that has fallen into fogeyness is thus, it is only brandished by university lecturers. A little used word that I particularly enjoy though is underwhelm(ed), as in I am completely underwhelmed by that :blink:

Barbarossa
03-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Until I just looked it up I actually didn't realise that was a proper word

chalice
03-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I would still use 'whom' sometimes, like.

When I'm addressing a letter to a collective body or if I'm writing a sicknote for one of the kids for school or whatnot.

'To whom it may concern'. Still valid imo. True story.

It's also the sound a fart makes underwater. WHOOOM.

Squeamous
03-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Yet another word that has fallen into fogeyness is thus, it is only brandished by university lecturers. A little used word that I particularly enjoy though is underwhelm(ed), as in I am completely underwhelmed by that :blink:

Oh I like those. I use the phrase 'multi-talentless' sometimes. I use 'thus' quite a lot as well. But usually I find old fashioned words work better banged right up next to really modern words or slang, just for effect.

Not that I really think about it much :unsure:

Squeamous
03-06-2009, 11:11 AM
I would still use 'whom' sometimes, like.

When I'm addressing a letter to a collective body or if I'm writing a sicknote for one of the kids for school or whatnot.

'To whom it may concern'. Still valid imo. True story.

It's also the sound a fart makes underwater. WHOOOM.

No, that's 'Blubbalubbalub'. WHOOM is the noise a torpedo makes leaving a sub.

EHS

(second thoughts maybe yours does sound like that)

chalice
03-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Guinness'll do that to ya.

And you definitely wouldn't be eating that soggy biscuit after that. :no:

Squeamous
03-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh no! Soda Stream squits are the worst.

Skweeky
03-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I like using 'ergo'. It makes me seem clever. Or a twat. Either.

Squeamous
03-06-2009, 01:40 PM
You like to use a twat for what? :unsure:

Skweeky
03-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Getting a new pair of shoes, mainly.

Squeamous
03-06-2009, 01:52 PM
:lol:

It is our way, I'm not judging.

Rat Faced
03-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Is the use of "proper english" the correct English Grammer?

I think it is, but it sounds wrong.. :unsure:

Artemis
03-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Is the use of "proper english" the correct English Grammer?

I think it is, but it sounds wrong.. :unsure:
The Queen's english or proper english, which of course begs the burning question is text speak 'improper english' ? :blink:

Artemis
03-08-2009, 10:02 AM
hey moron, you have not more power cuz you born with english... so chill... and w8 what come :/

My point, superbly illustrated ! :blink:

Artemis
03-08-2009, 10:21 AM
english...
-
who said that you will born with one fucking language and that I have to learn some X retarded slangs of some americans hookers... go and talk to to wall, I am not interested, if you wanna beat me in czech, PM me :dabs:

could you type that again in english please, I find spastic difficult to understand ?

Skweeky
03-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I would suggest you join a Czech forum since you seem to be rather annoyed by the fact this one in English speaking.

Skweeky
03-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Then I should warn you; discussions regarding English grammar are common here.

JPaul
03-08-2009, 01:57 PM
No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

Snee
03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Is the use of "whom" in a sentence, regarded as proper English, or is it seen as nostalgically arrogant?

eg.
....her brother, whom i always thought was a slimyb.. etc

second question
is "Who(m)" an adverb,noun, word etc what is the correct categorisation of this four letter word?

A pronoun.

lamuller
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Skizo is right, but you can find that information on the internet if you are not sure, just google it