PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Is Great for Gamers, Forget XP or Vista, Says Microsoft

SonsOfLiberty
03-15-2009, 04:02 PM
http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Windows-7-Is-Great-For-Gamers-Forget-XP-or-Vista-Says-Microsoft-2.pngWindows 7 Is Great for Gamers, Forget XP or Vista, Says Microsoft
28th of February 2009

PC gaming has almost always been tied to a generation of Microsoft's Windows operating system. Whether it was 95, 98 or the more recent XP or Vista, the Redmond giant was responsible for the main platform on which developers brought their video games.

Windows XP has been and still is the preferred platform for gamers around the world, due to its low requirements and high degree of compatibility with almost all the titles that appear on the PC. But ever since Microsoft
introduced Vista, by saying that it would be perfect for any activity, including gaming, players have been somewhat reticent to upgrade to the company's new OS either because a lot of titles weren't compatible, or the system took up too much of the PC's resources, or due to the fact that it was filled with a lot of bugs or glitches that rendered games unplayable.

But it seems that for gamers Windows 7 will be the best operating system, at least according to Microsoft's VP of the Interactive Entertainment Business for the EMEA region, Chris Lewis, who talked with GamesIndustry.biz about the future operating system. He went on to say that the resource hog that was Vista would be replaced with a much more robust and compatible OS, which would make the transcendence from XP to it almost seamless, while offering a lot of new features, including the hyped-up DirectX 11.

“Windows 7 will be great for games, undoubtedly,” he said. “It's all good news - it's even more robust, it's quicker relatively, and the early testing cycles are proving very promising overall. I think it'll be nothing but good news for PC gamers, but we'll have more to say on that later on this year. Ultimately we're a Windows and PC company at heart, and that's not going to change, and the development on both platforms will remain central and important. The business ebbs and flows, and there will be times when we do more on one platform than the other, but they do co-exist very nicely, and as a company we're in a pretty unique position that we have a strong legacy on PC.”

But what about you? Do you think that Windows 7 will bring a system that will be embraced by gamers such as yourselves? Will it make you change from XP or Vista to it?

:source: Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-Is-Great-For-Gamers-Forget-XP-or-Vista-Says-Microsoft-10561 (Windows 7 Is Great for Gamers, Forget XP or Vista, Says Microsoft)

Old_Swift_acct
03-15-2009, 07:11 PM
maybe they are right and just maybe i'll instal Windows 7 sometime

Tom0102
03-15-2009, 08:07 PM
I've tried the beta and it run amazingly but time will tell. IF the price is right from release id definitely get it

iceman0113
03-15-2009, 09:02 PM
It looks promising, but I'm so attached to XP right now. I don't know if I can part with it just yet.

neve2009
03-15-2009, 09:22 PM
im waiting for a review. I dont trust microsoft at all

harshytkage
03-16-2009, 01:51 AM
i'd recommend 7, the beta it breezed through my painfully low end PC, it's a really good upgrade for vista

rokie
03-16-2009, 02:41 AM
xp for now

222MHz
03-16-2009, 04:54 AM
just get a console.

SonsOfLiberty
03-16-2009, 05:59 AM
just get a console.

Okay, about until 3 months ago, I said the same shit, it's not the SAME, games for the PC look a whole different than a console version....I have both and love both, my advise, "get both, a gaming PC (which doesn't need to be a whole lot, I paid under $500 and I am playing all the same games you idiots paying $2000 for :lol:)....so get both and be happy you have both :) Console's are only fun for so long, at least for me, I need more games :naughty:

mbucari1
03-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (the only game I play) runs better on 7 than XP. I just upgraded to 7057 and am very happy with it.

rockaa
03-16-2009, 10:05 AM
I seriusly hope that these rumors or news about win7 is right... i'm so tried of vista and xp.. I thinking about buying a mac ;D

respawn40
03-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Can games that were designed for XP be played on Windows 7?

peat moss
03-17-2009, 05:28 AM
Can games that were designed for XP be played on Windows 7?

Why would n't they be ? Most games are based on older engines like Halflife or Rage that would be fine or in some cases play better because of new technology like DirectX 11 or Ragdoll physics , or better yet new hardware drivers be they tweaked or hardware specific . :)

Respawn , you brought up the only valid point on this whole site , can I play my game ? . So many phoneys bragging about how they have the new Win 7 Beta and not telling us if certain programs work . I saw one lame post about how DAEMON Tools was 'nt supported and laffed my bag off . Use UltraIso then smart asses . :dry: Oh well try yourself and then judge , kepping in mind its Beta . I had trouble with a onboard lan that was n't supported but inserted my mobo disk and bob's your uncle .

iLOVENZB
03-17-2009, 11:06 AM
"Says Microsoft"

Didn't they say that Vista was going to be a true "Gaming OS"

Hairbautt
03-17-2009, 02:57 PM
"Says Microsoft"

Remember HALO 2 Vista Only? lolz

222MHz
03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
"Says Microsoft"

vista is a game

respawn40
03-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Why would n't they be ? Most games are based on older engines like Halflife or Rage that would be fine or in some cases play better because of new technology like DirectX 11 or Ragdoll physics , or better yet new hardware drivers be they tweaked or hardware specific . :)

Alright, thank you. I've never really played PC games before, because one, I have a crappy PC, and two, I've known consoles all of my life. I plan on trying them out though with a new computer soon, hopefully running Windows 7 when it gets released.

colombianino
03-18-2009, 02:58 AM

Alright, thank you. I've never really played PC games before, because one, I have a crappy PC, and two, I've known consoles all of my life. I plan on trying them out though with a new computer soon, hopefully running Windows 7 when it gets released.

not far from where im aiming at, i plan to build a computer soon, and the time couldn't have been better for them to release this new os. one of the things i liked the most was the fact that it used lower resources than vista itself, not that it doesn't use any.

but i still doubt on how will they play their cards this time, not that i want to curse win7 but wasn't xp just like this when it was launched? new, innovative and the best m$ os ever?

armless
03-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Of course Microsoft would say that about windows 7. They want people to buy the new OS when it comes out and they aren't going to say windows XP is better than windows 7 for gamers. We will never know if what Microsoft is saying is true until we see windows 7.

Appzalien
03-18-2009, 02:59 PM
So what if it plays games better than XP, I have the beta as well and gaming aside I can't stand all the "change for change sake" crap they did to the GUI. I can't find anything, common tasks are rearranged or renamed in a way that puts a learning curve up your A. CTRL+ALT+DEL anyone? don't expect to find task manager right away, ADD/REMOVE Programs anyone? renamed to some obsure reference. Just the fact that the left pane of Windows Explorer doesn't seem to know what the right pane is doing really ticks me off, at least in XP when you were somewhere on the right the left was right with you and there was at least a half opened folder to hint to where you were. I know. we'll change the + sign next to tree view folders to a triangle, that ought to make the masses happy.

Microsoft is run by a bunch of morons that wouldn't know their A from a Hole in the ground. So, play games really good? get the F out of my face you morons. Win 7 sucks cause its based on an OS that sucked, not one that has wide acceptance. Thats where they made their mistake, they can't let go of that crappy Vista and its goping to cost them dearly.

222MHz
03-18-2009, 03:29 PM
windows is like cell phone software.. Just because you've memorized all the buttons and menus doesn't mean you know jack shit.. Your a pro at your phone whop-d-fucking-do.. Hand you a new phone and your lost again. They've only continue to built it so you can buy word, antivirus, photoshop, and shop online.. MARK MY WORDS.. Your splash screen will be an marketing add soon enough.. They'll call it front page or something.. M$ WHORES Just a fucking toy.. spoon fed fucking garbage..

grimms
03-18-2009, 11:46 PM
I'll wait until the official review then make a decision then. They said the same thing about Vista. I have yet to install vista (which means i never will). I love my windows xp.

DJtwisted
03-20-2009, 09:49 PM
i would personally have a console, i have never owned a hexbox and dont intend on ever buying one. microsoft is not a gaming company, in my eyes. and to this day they will still struggle to keep up with the gamers who have been on playstation for there entire gaming career. personally i will stick with my PS3, besides windows sucks azz anyways

AbyssalStalker
06-30-2009, 01:41 PM
I have Windows 7 Ultimate RC x64 and I love it; used to have Vista Ultimate X64 and found the transition not only smooth but beneficial!

Gruelius
07-01-2009, 08:16 PM
beta is fantastic for gaming performance (everything bar forced mce codecs really).

Then again who needs a good OS when the games you play are 10+ years old lol