PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 8 Arrives on Crowded Browser Scene

SonsOfLiberty
03-20-2009, 02:47 AM
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/554/4912d1232212667tie8beta.jpg Internet Explorer 8 Arrives on Crowded Browser Scene
March 19, 2009

Microsoft will make the latest version of Internet Explorer, the world’s most popular web browser, available for download from 4pm (GMT) today (Thursday).

Microsoft claims that the Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) is faster, more user-friendly and more secure than previous versions.

Steve Ballmer, the chief executive officer of Microsoft, said: “With Internet Explorer 8, we are delivering a browser that gets people to the information they need, fast, and provides protection that no other browser can match.”

One of the key new features of IE8 is “Accelerators”, which allow surfers to perform common tasks, such as looking up an address on a map, without navigating first to a separate website. Web users can also keep an eye on their favourite sites by using “Web Slices”, which are stored in the redesigned favourites bar and flash when a site is updated.

Internet Explorer is currently used as a main browser on around 67 per cent of the world’s computers. This represents a decline from a peak of around 91 per cent in 2004, since which time rival browsers such as Mozilla’s Firefox, Apple’s Safari and, most recently, Google’s Chrome have started to eat into IE’s market share.

Internet Explorer’s dominance has attracted criticism and controversy in equal measure, not least with the European Commission, which in January announced its intention to investigate Microsoft’s practice of bundling Internet Explorer with its Windows operating systems, stating: "Microsoft's tying of Internet Explorer to the Windows operating system harms competition between web browsers, undermines product innovation and ultimately reduces consumer choice." Microsoft has already been fined over $1 billion by the Commission for bundling Windows Media Player in with its operating system.

On the internet, IE’s dominance has also caused problems, as the browser’s ubiquity has made it a favourite target for hackers preying on its programming vulnerabilities. If Microsoft is to claw back some of its lost market share, it must convince people that the new IE is more secure. Microsoft claims that IE8 offers the best security features among leading browsers, and that Internet Explorer 8 blocks two to four times as many malicious sites as competing browsers.

Internet Explorer 8 will be available as a free download from 4pm (GMT), at http://www.microsoft.com/ie8

:source: Source: Internet Explorer (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx) | Times Online (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article5937995.ece)

OldIronTits
03-20-2009, 05:27 AM
I do not like IE in principle.

I do like online virus-scanners, most of which only function with IE.

Anyone play with IE 8 yet?

=============================================================
Do scheme on torrentvault, bitme, & other learning invites.
=============================================================

Detale
03-20-2009, 06:21 AM
Myself I am a FF man but my wife is stuck in IE7, well actually 6, she hates 7 if I upgrade "her" browser I'll be sleeping on the couch for sure:shutup:. I'd like to see it though.

iLOVENZB
03-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Microsoft will make the latest version of Internet Explorer, the world’s most popular web browser...

WTF! :O. FF FTW :lol:

IE is shit with no 'new' features.

There wasn't even a search feature in IE but it was implemented in FF back in v1.0

Sonnentier
03-20-2009, 11:56 AM
@Detale
I also hate IE7, because from my experience it's just the old internet explorer wrapped into a new interface. When launching, you first get the interface which then also loads the IE embedded into that. I guess this is why it takes much longer to open and close compared to other applications. When you open a new tab, you have the same problem. A new instance of IE is started and embedded into the inteface, or at least that's how it feels. You wait for about a second for the new tab to appear.

maphongbax
03-20-2009, 12:08 PM
I like IE a lot, feels like its faster than FF. The only reason I am using FF is that I can't live without those addons. adblock+, flashblock, foxmark.... that sort.

Overlord
03-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Adblock plus with the filter subscriptions is the #1 reason why I use FF only. I could never do as good a job if I had to manually block everything myself.

ulun64
03-20-2009, 06:38 PM
If IE7 & IE6 was not secure? What make them think IE8 will be more secure?

Chewie
03-20-2009, 06:50 PM
I'd like to give it a test run but it doesn't support vista64, apparently.
:/

SonsOfLiberty
03-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Microsoft will make the latest version of Internet Explorer, the world’s most popular web browser...

There wasn't even a search feature in IE but it was implemented in FF back in v1.0

That's not my quote, only the people who wrote the article :)

saulin
03-20-2009, 09:32 PM
I really like IE8. It seems fast. I do not like FF. I tried different versions and really I don't see what the big deal is. The only thing about FF is that you can find addons easy and they are free. But then you start slowing your browsing by adding addons.

Now secure browsers you say? in what way? No browser will save you from spyware/malware if stupid users click yes to every popup they get. I think having really good security software installed is much more sucured than trying to find a secured browser.

I don't know how many security holes IE has or how many it has had but I don't get spyware or any trojans on my system because I can spot fake pages and I can tell what is spyware and what could get my system infected.

I know where to download stuff from and where not to download stuff from.

DJtwisted
03-20-2009, 09:47 PM
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/554/4912d1232212667tie8beta.jpg Internet Explorer 8 Arrives on Crowded Browser Scene
March 19, 2009

Microsoft will make the latest version of Internet Explorer, the world’s most popular web browser, available for download from 4pm (GMT) today (Thursday).

Microsoft claims that the Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) is faster, more user-friendly and more secure than previous versions.

Steve Ballmer, the chief executive officer of Microsoft, said: “With Internet Explorer 8, we are delivering a browser that gets people to the information they need, fast, and provides protection that no other browser can match.”

One of the key new features of IE8 is “Accelerators”, which allow surfers to perform common tasks, such as looking up an address on a map, without navigating first to a separate website. Web users can also keep an eye on their favourite sites by using “Web Slices”, which are stored in the redesigned favourites bar and flash when a site is updated.

Internet Explorer is currently used as a main browser on around 67 per cent of the world’s computers. This represents a decline from a peak of around 91 per cent in 2004, since which time rival browsers such as Mozilla’s Firefox, Apple’s Safari and, most recently, Google’s Chrome have started to eat into IE’s market share.

Internet Explorer’s dominance has attracted criticism and controversy in equal measure, not least with the European Commission, which in January announced its intention to investigate Microsoft’s practice of bundling Internet Explorer with its Windows operating systems, stating: "Microsoft's tying of Internet Explorer to the Windows operating system harms competition between web browsers, undermines product innovation and ultimately reduces consumer choice." Microsoft has already been fined over $1 billion by the Commission for bundling Windows Media Player in with its operating system.

On the internet, IE’s dominance has also caused problems, as the browser’s ubiquity has made it a favourite target for hackers preying on its programming vulnerabilities. If Microsoft is to claw back some of its lost market share, it must convince people that the new IE is more secure. Microsoft claims that IE8 offers the best security features among leading browsers, and that Internet Explorer 8 blocks two to four times as many malicious sites as competing browsers.

Internet Explorer 8 will be available as a free download from 4pm (GMT), at http://www.microsoft.com/ie8

:source: Source: Internet Explorer (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx) | Times Online (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article5937995.ece)

yes, i have used IE 8 on windows 7, to tell you the truth, not really impressed by it at all. i would much rather stick with safari, firefox, or opera, there alot more stable, and not as buggy. and just an interesting note, why does it seem like all active x viruses come through IE yet none through any other browser?

iLOVENZB
03-20-2009, 09:58 PM

That's not my quote, only the people who wrote the article :)

Yeah, I know. Probably written by Microsoft or Microsoft fanboy :P

tesco
03-20-2009, 10:38 PM
March 19, 2009

yes, i have used IE 8 on windows 7, to tell you the truth, not really impressed by it at all. i would much rather stick with safari, firefox, or opera, there alot more stable, and not as buggy. and just an interesting note, why does it seem like all active x viruses come through IE yet none through any other browser?Very simple. The other browsers can't run activex.

Aliyans
03-21-2009, 01:40 PM
i use IE,FF,GC.. now upgraded to IE8.. much faster...even faster than FF.. all the broswer faster when they installed first .. as saulin said when u add addons it slows down.. i use GC as very simple n fast to load..

iLOVENZB
03-21-2009, 02:01 PM
What ever, Wait the the OPEN SOURCE, MULTI-PLATFORM, USER CUSTOMIZABLE Web browser, FF goes into 4.0 development :P

Appzalien
03-22-2009, 12:56 AM

You have the wrong version there buddy you have the XP64/server2003 64bit version, there is a vista64 bit I just downloaded it. When it offers up a download for your operating system (it detects it automatically I suppose), look at the bottom of the link for an alternate link to more choices.

Chewie
03-23-2009, 09:44 PM

You have the wrong version there buddy you have the XP64/server2003 64bit version, there is a vista64 bit I just downloaded it. When it offers up a download for your operating system (it detects it automatically I suppose), look at the bottom of the link for an alternate link to more choices.
Yeah i did find the proper link and installed it.
Only looked cosmetically different to me since I turned the useless guff off.
I wonder why they renamed the Phishing filter? SafeScreen or ScreenSafe or whatever... doesn't actually describe what it is. Typical M$ :)

Uninstalled it after playing with it for about two hours.
Slower than IE7. No real improvement to the basic product apart from what looks to me like links to sponsored content, really.

Didn't like it at all and still with Firefox.