PDA

View Full Version : Bail them out?

j2k4
03-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Back in 1990, the Government seized the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada for tax evasion and, as required by law, tried to run it.

They failed and it closed.

Now we are trusting the economy of our country and our banking system to the same nit-wits who couldn't make money running a whore house and selling whiskey.

Amazing.

Rat Faced
03-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Be fare.

The Whores were probably a little upset at having to pay taxes for the first time and probably didnt work to their potential. :P

Skweeky
03-23-2009, 10:21 PM
And let's be honest. Who on earth wants to go to a government-run brothel ffs?

Rat Faced
03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
And also, to be honest, no one can do a worse job than the current crop of Bankers.

Busyman
03-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Back in 1990, the Government seized the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada for tax evasion and, as required by law, tried to run it.

Now we are trusting the economy of our country and our banking system to the same nit-wits who couldn't make money running a whore house and selling whiskey.

Amazing.

Any bank seized will most likely be bought by another bank.

j2k4
03-24-2009, 12:25 AM

Amazing.

Any bank seized will most likely be sold by the government.

Busyman
03-24-2009, 01:01 AM

Any bank seized will most likely be sold by the government.

Agreed and therefore bought by another bank.....

FDIC FTW

Otherwise we can just have all the bank employees lose their jobs and customers lose their money. Yes, yes, that sounds better.

devilsadvocate
03-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Chain emails A! still you got to give the spam blocker something to do.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/government/a/mustang_ranch.htm

start
03-24-2009, 04:14 AM
I would recommend everyone watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0zEXdDO5JU and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhDkZjKBEw&feature=related (part 2).

It basically shows a visualization of the credit crisis and why everyone would be affected when these banks do go under. AIG for example, is a world-wide stable insurance company with this hedge fund attached to it. They took on so much bad assets (insuring the sub-prime mortgages) that it's bringing down the stable part of the company. AIG and other companies like Bank of America, JP Morgan, Wells Fargo, etc. play a huge role in our economy and the flow of money that they essentially are "too big to fail".

The credit crisis is linked to everyone from an individual person, to a small business, mortgage companies, banks, hedge funds, etc.

ichigo
03-24-2009, 04:29 AM
Hey start nice link. Makes perfect sense now about what happens.

cynner
03-24-2009, 07:27 AM
The government should really start considering removing protection clauses for TBTF (too big to fail); if a company knows that it will be doing poorly, it could acquire other companies while still remain within the anti-trust market share limit. So, when they're doing poorly, they're the first on the list to get economic stimulus packages; bail-out money, if you'd rather refer to.

IMHO, GM is going to fail before AIG.

j2k4
03-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Any of these institutions that are "too big to fail" are too big, period.

It's an Enron lesson, ftw.

clocker
03-24-2009, 01:22 PM

Amazing.
Logic and fact fail.
Are we in fact counting on the "same nit-wits" from 1990 to solve our problems today?

If conservatives are convinced that "government" is, in and of itself, useless and by definition "bad"...why are they so eager to run it?

j2k4
03-24-2009, 08:10 PM

Amazing.
Logic and fact fail.
Are we in fact counting on the "same nit-wits" from 1990 to solve our problems today?

If conservatives are convinced that "government" is, in and of itself, useless and by definition "bad"...why are they so eager to run it?

You have nothing to fear from a true conservative.

Republicans are another matter, democrats yet another, as we've seen.

As to your 1990/present conundrum, what has changed - apart from some of the names, of course.

The logic and fact are just fine.

clocker
03-24-2009, 08:15 PM
I would assume that most of the players active in 1990 are gone, replaced with better units.
Unless you're assuming that simply joining a government lowers one's performance and capabilities, there's no reason to equate what happened in 1990 in Nevada with what's happening today in DC.

devilsadvocate
03-24-2009, 11:15 PM
The federal government did NOT attempt to operate the Ranch, so it didn't fail. It seized it in a bankruptcy proceeding and although they had planned to allow it to keep going until sold to recoup the debt a judge refused to allow the bankruptcy trustee to assume the Ranch's business license. Instead, the IRS foreclosed on the property and auctioned it off a few months later.

Spam emails tend to be factually challenged

j2k4
03-24-2009, 11:43 PM
I would assume that most of the players active in 1990 are gone, replaced with better units.
Unless you're assuming that simply joining a government lowers one's performance and capabilities, there's no reason to equate what happened in 1990 in Nevada with what's happening today in DC.

"Better units"?

I can't believe you think politicians are getting "better".

Holy shit, I can't - I mean I really can't - believe you said that.

I am utterly floored.

Really.

Barack Obama couldn't carry Bill Clinton's water, and you know what I think of Clinton.

Harry Reid?

Big Nancy?

Any of what passes for Republicans?

Find me a single Democrat who measures up to the like of Pat Moynihan, or Sam Nunn.

They were around in 1990.

j2k4
03-24-2009, 11:45 PM
The federal government did NOT attempt to operate the Ranch, so it didn't fail. It seized it in a bankruptcy proceeding and although they had planned to allow it to keep going until sold to recoup the debt a judge refused to allow the bankruptcy trustee to assume the Ranch's business license. Instead, the IRS foreclosed on the property and auctioned it off a few months later.

Spam emails tend to be factually challenged

Doesn't make 'em wrong.

The government rode it under, and that's a fact.

Bill Clinton was actually impeached, too.

clocker
03-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Pining for the good ole days?

devilsadvocate
03-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Doesn't make 'em wrong.

The government rode it under, and that's a fact.

Bill Clinton was actually impeached, too.

So if an email isn't factually correct it isn't wrong?

The government seized a business that couldn't or wouldn't pay it's bills and sold it, as it happens to the same guy they seized it off of in the first place who used an assumed name.

They never tried to run it so they couldn't have failed.

They did close it down, or at least a judge did, but then isn't closing brothels high on the social conservative wish list?

j2k4
03-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Pining for the good ole days?

No, but I will not liken the progression (not progress) of American politicians to, say, Japanese automobiles.

They are most certainly not "better".

Rat Faced
03-25-2009, 09:41 PM
but then isn't closing brothels high on the social conservative wish list?

Only ones open to the public.

They don't want to associate with the plebs, afterall :snooty:

roger200
04-01-2009, 09:56 AM
They did a small bail-out in Norway too. And all I could think was "the goverment give the banks my tax money, so the bankers can keep recieving my payments on my mortage".

Thats robbery, no, thats double robbery, no wait, they inflate my money too, so thats trippel robbery, no wait, money to the banks instead of jobcreation I could use right now, thats quadrouple robbery. And then I cant pay my mortage so they take my house. That's fithouple (?) robbery.

Change you can wipe your a@@ with..