PDA

View Full Version : Strange Internet Protocol Problem

The Flying Cow
04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Ever since I formatted my lap it's been a pain to connect to the internet. Considering it's a wired connection, there really is nothing to it (wireless problems don't apply).

So I went into CMD and checked the IP (ipconfig /all; ipconfig /release; ipconfig /renew) but it was some strange number that really has nothing to do with what my IP is here.

Then I changed the IP using this guide:

The command is:
to change IP and default gateway:
netsh int ip set address "local area connection" static 192.168.0.101 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.254 1

to change DNS:
netsh int ip set dns "local area connection" static 192.168.0.254 primary

This is assuming 3 things.
1) The network adapter you're trying to change the IP for is "local area connection". It could also be "local area connection 2" or "wireless network connection". Look in your control panel for the correct name
2) The IP you want to set is 192.168.0.101, change this to whatever IP to want to use.
3) The default gateway and dns are the same IP. If you are using some kind of router they usually are. Change this to match your network config found with the command ipconfig /all

You will need to run both commands to change the IP.

But now when I put "ipconfig /all" it shows "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State: Media disconnected".

I'm afraid I may have ruined everything beyond repair.

pentomato
04-08-2009, 04:48 PM
The samething happened to my friends lap top, for some reason it doesn't want to connect to the internet, not even with my own eternet cable.

Cheerup
05-06-2009, 11:32 AM
hmmm.. are you connected to a router? i'd recommend to activate DHCP instead of trying to use a static ip as the guide indicates above... maybe you're router is defective, i've seen defective router assign weird ip's for no reason, but we'd need more information to really know the problem... is your internet connection static?

The Flying Cow
05-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I fixed it be formatting the machine again a while ago. Thanks for the help though chaps.