PDA

View Full Version : How Does Bit Torrent Work

Keighley-England
09-25-2003, 10:59 PM
can any body explain how bit torrent works as i looked over it and it is all dutch to me .
if you know please explain in some simple and easy to understand way as i have looked through the normal ways and it has baffled me completly

i have downloaded bit torrent pressed a few buttons and it is either uploading or downloading johhny english ????????
(i have johhny english in my kazaa shared folder from an erlier download)
it seems very compicated to me . ;)

ultimatejester
09-25-2003, 11:02 PM
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?act=Search&f=

MUSLEMAN
09-25-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Keighley-England@25 September 2003 - 18:59
can any body explain how bit torrent works as i looked over it and it is all dutch to me .
if you know please explain in some simple and easy to understand way as i have looked through the normal ways and it has baffled me completly

i have downloaded bit torrent pressed a few buttons and it is either uploading or downloading johhny english ????????
it seems very compicated to me . ;)
you just install it and then go to sites that have torrents hit them and use the ie to download, follow the link above for more info

ultimatejester
09-25-2003, 11:16 PM
We also have another section named "Other p2p related discussions" (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showforum=40). you mite wanna try it sum time

muchspl2
09-25-2003, 11:25 PM
if you want a real life demo
get azurezus
pretty cool the dance of packets from all the different peers & seeds
almost zin like

3RA1N1AC
09-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Keighley-England@25 September 2003 - 14:59
it's called file-swarming. kazaa is a form of file-swarming, except it can only upload completed files. bittorrent's file-swarming method is able to upload bits of unfinished files, so you are actually downloading AND uploading Johnny English at the same time.

bittorrent's method has proven to be extremely effective in distributing files very quickly, because people with unfinished files help each other instead of relying purely on the few people who've got completed files. the down side of this is that there is no "shared folder" for bittorrent-- it relies on people leaving their downloader/uploader running after the file has completed, to keep the file in circulation. so as soon as everyone shuts their bittorrent windows, the file becomes unavailable until someone "re-seeds" it (the seed analogy = like seeding a cloud to create a torrent of rain).

people on bittorrent tend to move very quickly from one crop of files to another, like a swarm of locusts, so you have to join the swarm at a time when it's large and you have a good chance of completing the file.

there is no rule that forces you to leave your torrent uploading after you've finished downloading, but social etiquette in the bittorrent community calls for you to continue seeding at least "for a while" afterwards. that etiquette is meant to ensure that the file-swarm works properly. ;)

oh, and when you start torrents from websites, it is a good idea to right-click on the link and save it onto your hard drive so that you can easily resume it in case of a reboot or crash, by clicking it and directing it toward your incomplete file.

muchspl2
09-26-2003, 12:03 AM
well put
/tierd of explaing it nowadays just post http://btfaq.com