PDA

View Full Version : Save .torrent Files

skyhgh99999
09-27-2003, 09:37 PM
can you somehow save a .torrent file, so if you started to download a torrent file

and say you restarted your pc could you some how restart that same torrent file

agian where you left off... thanks

toddiscool
09-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Right click, save as.

skyhgh99999
09-27-2003, 10:09 PM
but it does'nt continue where i left off, it just stars from the beginning

God Hack
09-27-2003, 10:18 PM
You gotta save the file your downloading to the same directory were the uncomplete version of it is, then it'll continue were you left off.

Kokanee
09-28-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by skyhgh99999@27 September 2003 - 13:37
can you somehow save a .torrent file, so if you started to download a torrent file

and say you restarted your pc could you some how restart that same torrent file

agian where you left off... thanks
Read this BitTorrent FAQ (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=54389)
here is a quote from it:

How to resume downloads: To resume you just click on the original torrent file that you saved to your hard disc, choose the exact same folder that you started saving the file to originally. Once Bittorent begins, instead of creating a new file you will see the client checking the original file. Then it should continue downloading as normal.

Switeck
09-28-2003, 03:51 AM
In the event of an unexpected crash, the BitTorrent download will almost always become a HUGE chain of lost allocation units... you run a SCANDISK, recover that file, and then RESIZE the file to exactly match the one you're trying to download.

The reason why you have to resize the file is because the last sector/cluster for the file is almost always LARGER than the remainder of the file.

After resizing the file, rename it to the original, toss it in the same dir as the .torrent file, and resume it as normal.

I've done this about 10-20 times without too much fuss -- even went so far as trying to combine a partial download off Kazaa with a partial from BitTorrent for the same file in an attempt to download the file faster. That last trick didn't go so well because my tools weren't quite capable of cut-and-pasting 100+ MB. :P

Kokanee
09-28-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Switeck@27 September 2003 - 19:51
In the event of an unexpected crash, the BitTorrent download will almost always become a HUGE chain of lost allocation units... you run a SCANDISK, recover that file, and then RESIZE the file to exactly match the one you're trying to download.

The reason why you have to resize the file is because the last sector/cluster for the file is almost always LARGER than the remainder of the file.

After resizing the file, rename it to the original, toss it in the same dir as the .torrent file, and resume it as normal.

I've done this about 10-20 times without too much fuss -- even went so far as trying to combine a partial download off Kazaa with a partial from BitTorrent for the same file in an attempt to download the file faster. That last trick didn't go so well because my tools weren't quite capable of cut-and-pasting 100+ MB. :P
I've been using bittorrent for a while now and have never heard of any of that and I would certainly not reccomend you trying to piece together your downloads from Bit and k-lite.

Gre1
09-28-2003, 06:23 PM
I second that.

Wizzandabe
09-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by toddiscool@27 September 2003 - 21:44
Right click, save as.
Sorted. :D

Kokanee
09-29-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Wizzandabe+28 September 2003 - 11:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wizzandabe @ 28 September 2003 - 11:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-toddiscool@27 September 2003 - 21:44
Right click, save as.
Sorted. :D [/b][/quote]
well said &#33;&#33;

Gre1
09-29-2003, 03:22 AM
He didn&#39;t say anything but whatever :huh:

This topic should be:
http://galleries.vinyamar.com/ps/show.php?id=RU1VH5bbxrgbTTvG8X6bsaVm9&ext=.gif

Switeck
09-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Kokanee+28 September 2003 - 13:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kokanee &#064; 28 September 2003 - 13:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Switeck@27 September 2003 - 19:51
In the event of an unexpected crash, the BitTorrent download will almost always become a HUGE chain of lost allocation units... you run a SCANDISK, recover that file, and then RESIZE the file to exactly match the one you&#39;re trying to download.

I&#39;ve done this about 10-20 times without too much fuss -- even went so far as trying to combine a partial download off Kazaa with a partial from BitTorrent for the same file in an attempt to download the file faster. That last trick didn&#39;t go so well because my tools weren&#39;t quite capable of cut-and-pasting 100+ MB. :P I&#39;ve been using bittorrent for a while now and have never heard of any of that and I would certainly not reccomend you trying to piece together your downloads from Bit and k-lite.[/b][/quote]It is actually a sound method, in theory, so long as filesize doesn&#39;t change AND you re-run the torrent to download any pieces that fail hash.

In the case of failures causing the torrents to disappear, scandisk+resizing to the proper size for the file has worked file -- I just re-run the torrent with the renamed recovered file and it&#39;s like it never crashed.

Kokanee
09-29-2003, 01:10 PM
The clients I use always automaically re-download a failed piece. What program do you use? I use the EX and Nova and I always see a re-downloading piece in the log. Running scan disk and trying to figure out what file it really is and belongs too would take up too much time, I&#39;d rather download the file from the start again, with my speed anyway.

puk:))
09-29-2003, 01:30 PM
In the event of an unexpected crash, the BitTorrent download will almost always become a HUGE chain of lost allocation units... you run a SCANDISK, recover that file, and then RESIZE the file to exactly match the one you&#39;re trying to download.

I&#39;ve done this about 10-20 times without too much fuss -- even went so far as trying to combine a partial download off Kazaa with a partial from BitTorrent for the same file in an attempt to download the file faster. That last trick didn&#39;t go so well because my tools weren&#39;t quite capable of cut-and-pasting 100+ MB.

sounds like a whole lot of hassel for something completely unneeded.

Switeck
09-30-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by puk:))@29 September 2003 - 08:30

I&#39;ve done this about 10-20 times without too much fuss -- even went so far as trying to combine a partial download off Kazaa with a partial from BitTorrent for the same file in an attempt to download the file faster. That last trick didn&#39;t go so well because my tools weren&#39;t quite capable of cut-and-pasting 100+ MB.sounds like a whole lot of hassel for something completely unneeded.Yes, the &#39;merging&#39; of a Kazaa Lite partial download and bittorrent download was an excessive hassle -- but I was wanting to see if I could do it. I failed because my tools failed me -- I couldn&#39;t copy-and-paste 10+ MB of raw data through the windows 98SE (CTRL+C) copy buffer. :(

You get a couple 500+ MB downloads that are 90+% done that disappear after an unexpected crash/reboot and recovering via SCANDISK becomes more worthwhile... especially on torrents that have 2 or fewer seeds and few downloaders. It&#39;s either that or NEVER complete those files...

stoi
10-01-2003, 04:05 AM
well, ive never heard of the scandisk method, but then again non of my bittorrent downloads have disapeared so never had to try it.

but i have finished getting a file that i failed to get off newsgroups with bittorrent.

on newsgroups the files come split in seperate .rars, i was missing 3 or 4 i think, then seen the torrent for the same file i was getting. checked it with torrentspy and the file i wanted were in there.

started the download to a different folder, stopped it, seen what the folder name that the .torrent was saving to, went and renamed the folder with the game in it and reopened the torrent and it resumed on 90%, not bad saying the game was 600meg and i was only missing about 30meg or so.

so yes it is possible to resume a download from another p2p app in bittorrent, as long as you have got the exact same file/s in the torrent as you are downloading from the other p2p program.

stoi

stoi

Switeck
10-01-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by stoi@30 September 2003 - 23:05
so yes it is possible to resume a download from another p2p app in bittorrent, as long as you have got the exact same file/s in the torrent as you are downloading from the other p2p program.
You could have a damaged version of the same size file and BitTorrent will do a parts check to see if they match the stored hashes for each part and redownload the &#39;broken&#39; pieces.

The main problem with the &#39;Scandisk method&#39; is the lost files that are recovered are often exact 4KB increments in size (due to the minimum file storage size on a hard drive) while the &#39;real&#39; filesize can be anything. So there&#39;s almost always a little extra on the recovered file that has to be trimmed off somehow before it can be restarted and finish downloading. BitTorrent will refuse to use a file that&#39;s even 1 BYTE different in size, but will use ANY file that&#39;s exactly the same size as its starting point so long as it&#39;s named to whatever BitTorrent is trying to get.

james_bond_rulez
10-01-2003, 12:18 PM
hey could some1 tell me how to use bittorrent

I just downloaded shadow bittorrent and when i open it , it asks for the torrent file?

i dont know what to do.

help is appreciated thx