PDA

View Full Version : Xp Pro Upgrades Sp1

trugmolly
09-29-2003, 06:39 AM
HI.....I am running xp pro. I have slow connection 56k. After a formatt its a pain to have to d/l all of the updates. reluctant to reinstall sp1 as I have heard so many bad things about it.. is it really needed anyway if you d/l all the updates you need anyway. Opinions on this would be welcome and interesting.
I did d/l and install upgrades secuity patches etc.. I would like to save time in the future as my connection is slow and its a pain d/l them.. anyone know if I could locate the files on my drive and burn to disc ? that would save a lot of time in the future if I have to reforatt again.... Its an oldish Athalon 700mhz with an 80 gig super udma maxtor hdd and 160 memory if that is important ..
Thanks
TRug

balamm
09-29-2003, 06:44 AM
Look for a folder named WUTemp. stop the install just as it begins to install and copy that entire folder somewhere. Go back and select your updates again. It will look like it's redownloading, but you already have them so it'll be quite fast. Do this with each set of updates. Next time, install them directly from the saved folder and then check with windows update to see if there are any new ones.

asmithz
09-29-2003, 06:46 AM
ahh i didnt know, it pretty useful.http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/w00tbrows.gif

ck-uk
09-29-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by trugmolly@29 September 2003 - 06:39
HI.....I am running xp pro. I have slow connection 56k. After a formatt its a pain to have to d/l all of the updates. reluctant to reinstall sp1 as I have heard so many bad things about it.. is it really needed anyway if you d/l all the updates you need anyway. Opinions on this would be welcome and interesting.
I did d/l and install upgrades secuity patches etc.. I would like to save time in the future as my connection is slow and its a pain d/l them.. anyone know if I could locate the files on my drive and burn to disc ? that would save a lot of time in the future if I have to reforatt again.... Its an oldish Athalon 700mhz with an 80 gig super udma maxtor hdd and 160 memory if that is important ..
Thanks
TRug
Mate its pointless doing al that shit..imo,u'd be better of downloading another xp with sp1 and shit intergrated.Theres one on suprnova 500mb.Your not in a rush at the moment so just download a few mb aday.

sparsely
09-29-2003, 08:21 AM
for large updates like SP1 and ie6 or whatever, you can usually go and download an executable also...hell you can
even get Microsoft to send em to you on a cd, or you can download the CD.

see, here's SP1 (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/sp1lang.asp)

most of the hotfixes are available in other places also, like knowledge base articles...they just put em
on the Update site to make it easier for everyone to get what they need.

trugmolly
09-29-2003, 08:43 AM
Cheers for all that peeps... I already installed the hotfixes. But I will check out places and get them to disc.. just thought they may be specific to my machine is all.. guess that is just the drivers updates.....
Nice day to all and Sundry .... Hey while I am here.. going from a 1 meg connection back to freeserve and 56k and disconnect every few seconds lol.. Its like having your car nicked or something.....The "stay online" progs I use freeserve seem to know all about them.. Life is hard :))
Trug

balamm
09-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@29 September 2003 - 01:21
for large updates like SP1 and ie6 or whatever, you can usually go and download an executable also...hell you can
even get Microsoft to send em to you on a cd, or you can download the CD.

see, here's SP1 (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/sp1lang.asp)

most of the hotfixes are available in other places also, like knowledge base articles...they just put em
on the Update site to make it easier for everyone to get what they need.
That's SP1a, not SP1.

The difference? One (SP1a_en_x86) checks your key and aborts if it doesn't like it, leaving that info in the reg. It also does not include the MS Java VM.
This is the one currently available at MS.

The other one (SP1_en_86) converts your key to a valid one so you have no more problems in the future. And it should include the MS Java VM.
This one is fully legal as it is still a valid MS patch. You just have to find a site that has it archived.

It's currently available from this site >> whistler/SP/SP1/WXP/en-us/xpsp1_en_x86.exe (http://premierdownload.microsoft.com/download/whistler/SP/SP1/WXP/en-us/xpsp1_en_x86.exe)

This is the first release SP1 for XP. No wpa checks built in.
Any additional updates can be downloaded from MS after installation but now the WPA and OOBE timer won't matter because you have upgraded to a legal copy of XP. (SP1, released by MS, replaces most of your pirated XP system files with newer legitimate versions, compliments of Microsoft).

trugmolly
09-29-2003, 01:11 PM
Cheers for that last bit of info... handy. I actualy never had any probs installing the service pack before, several formats in the past.. it always goes on smoothly.
Just read so many differing opinions as to the value of actualy having if if you have all the patches and upgrades hotfixes etc.. Peeps say if you have progs already installed it can cause trouble, Slower cpu speed and hardware not working properly etc etc... I will try the link and burn it and next time I do a clean install will bung it on...
Hey bummer about the latest news about sunscreen not effective against skin cancer ... I been drinking five litres a day for yrs :))
D.O.S