PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Really Know About The Bible?

Billy_Dean
09-29-2003, 11:55 AM
What Do You ReallyKnow About The Bible?

Bible Quiz. (http://www.ffrf.org/bquiz.html)

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/guys/Priest.jpg

J'Pol
09-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Or go here to find out what the

Freedom From Religion Foundation. (http://www.ffrf.org/)

Say about themselves

J'Pol
09-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Once again others may not take the same view.

WISCONSIN RAPIDS, WI - On Tuesday, the nine alderman of Wisconsin Rapids voted unanimously to accept a nativity scene for inclusion in the City's Christmas time display despite the threat of a lawsuit from the Freedom From Religion Foundation. RoseAnn Crowns, a citizen of Wisconsin Rapids, led a group of residents in offering the nativity scene to the City for display. RoseAnn was assisted in her efforts by Liberty Counsel, a civil liberties legal defense and education organization based in Orlando, Florida.

RoseAnn and the group of citizens offered the Nativity Scene for display because they had noted that the City's Christmas display contained only secular symbols such as Christmas trees, tin soldiers, Santa Claus, reindeer and snowmen. After the group offered the Nativity Scene to the City, the Freedom From Religion Foundation immediately threatened a lawsuit should the City decide to accept it.

RoseAnn contacted Liberty Counsel who provided her with information and an opinion letter. The information cited to two Supreme Court cases decided in 1984 and 1989 that clearly held that public displays of Nativity Scenes alongside other secular symbols are constitutional. Liberty Counsel's letter stated, "The Freedom From Religion Foundation would have no basis in fact or law to bring such a suit when the Supreme Court has so clearly ruled and could even open themselves to sanctions by the Court should they attempt to argue that a nativity scene in the context of other secular symbols of the season is unconstitutional." Liberty Counsel then offered the City free legal defense should the Freedom From religion Foundation sue over the nativity scene.

RoseAnn shared the information received from Liberty Counsel at the meeting and the nine alderman voted unanimously to accept the display. Alderman Alan Binnebose was quoted as saying, "The right thing is to put it up and not let Annie Gaylor (of Freedom From Religion Foundation) infringe on your rights."

Mat Staver, President and General Counsel of Liberty Counsel stated, "The issue of public displays of nativity scenes has been clearly settled by the Supreme Court for over ten years now, yet the Freedom From Religion Foundation insists on bullying city officials by adopting a position they know is not true." Staver continued, "It is encouraging to see a city who is not afraid of the empty threats of radical organizations. What the Freedom From Religion Foundation did in this case is simply despicable. They adopted a position they knew to be false in order to cow the city into submission to their out of step idea of what the role of religion should be in America."

J'Pol
09-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Or indeed this comment on one of it's founders.

Freedom from religion? Just give me freedom from shrillness
David Leibowitz
Special for The Republic
Mar. 9, 2003 12:00 AM

Funny how believing in a cause can work: You go merrily along, so certain, until you meet someone who agrees with you completely. Then, his or her ridiculousness changes your mind.

Consider yourself warned if you fancy yourself a strict separationist when it comes to matters of church and state, as well as a patriotic American made uncomfortable by "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. I was, too, until a few days ago, when I spoke to Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-founder of the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Annie Laurie came on the radio to applaud the ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rendering the use of the pledge in public schools unconstitutional. Personally, I agreed with the judges' opinion. Whose God are we under? What if I'm an atheist? Why did we wait until 1954 to add "under God?"

Annie Laurie started off fine, labeling the pledge a "religious test," a vow made exclusionary by the reference to God. But then she got to the concept of harm and kind of lost it.

"It's harmed," she submitted. Harmed people how, she was asked?

"(President) Bush doesn't just want to declare war against Iraq," she explained. "He has declared a war against the wall of separation between church and state. He and his followers have done it based on this idea that our nation is founded on God. You hear people saying, 'It's on our money, it's in our pledge.' This symbolic violation has created a great deal of harm because people no longer honor this concept. They think that our country should be promoting God."

Here was the epiphany for yours truly. Seems to me, for every person I hear embracing the Bush administration and its emphasis on faith in politics, I hear someone else rejecting it. We still have that freedom in America in no smaller measure than we did in 1954, pre-"under God." It's a leap of logic to go from two words in the pledge to a theocracy and establishing a state religion.

So, again, what's the harm caused by the pledge? As I recall it from elementary school, it was hardly a religious moment. Not to mention, in Arizona, kids can abstain from the recitation. Tell us, Annie Laurie, how did you suffer by hearing those two words?

"Because it belittled me, made me a second-class citizen. Because I knew my family didn't believe in a god. I didn't have the wherewithal to decide whether I believed in a god or not when I was 5 years old. It was imposed on me."

That's it in a nutshell. This activist, a leader in a movement I had found sympathetic, had reduced her cause to victimization. Three decades later, she still hadn't gotten over hearing the words "under God" in a classroom. Personally, I still dislike the melding of church and state and I still cringe at the Bushies and their occasional holy rolling. But on the subject of the Pledge of Allegiance, Annie Laurie Gaylor brought me around by the sheer shrillness of her tale.

She's looking to the Supreme Court to cure what ails her. Why not try a therapist?

MagicNakor
09-29-2003, 12:24 PM
I want to know which version of the Bible they're using, because otherwise it's really a moot point. ;)

Edit: Oddly enough, my King James Version appears to differ from theirs. Oops.

:ninja:

Billy_Dean
09-29-2003, 12:27 PM
So how did you do on the test JP??

When you argue in future that the bible is the word of your god, you'll have some background info.

:)

J'Pol
09-29-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@29 September 2003 - 13:27
So how did you do on the test JP??

When you argue in future that the bible is the word of your god, you'll have some background info.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You get more pathetic all the time. Your strategy is so transparent, do you really think you can goad me this easily. Or that I will go away and allow you to spread your poison.

None if this deflects from what is obvious, you are a hate monger. You are at best deluded (I truly hope this is the case). At worst you are trying to turn people towards your point of view.

I take it that this is another of your sources of information BTW.

clocker
09-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Billy Dean,

What's going on?
Two threads on religion in the past week, a as yet to be revealed agenda, and so far no intimation of your religious beliefs.
Not being religious myself I have refrained from posting in these threads. I do read them however, as a source of backround information.

It seems to me that you think you're springing some sort of trap. You got lots of sincere responses to your first topic, this one looks like the opening salvo of some sort of anti-religious tirade.

If you have a problem with religion in general, or a particular religion in specific, why not just come out in the open and say so?
State your views and invite a response.

I think a lot of folks will be really pissed if all this is just the prelude to some "Aha!Gotcha!" moment...

Billy_Dean
09-29-2003, 01:02 PM
JPaul
I take it that this is another of your sources of information BTW.
Not at all JP, this is all new to me, and I have you to thank for enlightening me.
In fact, the more I learn, the less I understand what you have against facism. Seems to me the catholic church has none of the qualities you seem to demand from others.

As Hitler said ..

"I have followed the Church in giving our party
program the character of unalterable finality, like the Creed. The Church has
never allowed the Creed to be interfered with. It is fifteen hundred years
since it was formulated, but every suggestion for its ammendment, every
logical criticsm or attack on it, has been rejected. The Church has realized
that anything and everything can be built upon a document of that sort, no
matter how contradictory, or irreconcilable with it. The faithful will
swallow it whole, so long as logical reasoning is never allowed to be
brought to bear on it."

Billy_Dean
09-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Hi Clocko, I was wondering when you'd turn up.

ilw
09-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Is he another one of your sources of information Billy?

clocker
09-29-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@29 September 2003 - 06:06
Hi Clocko, I was wondering when you'd turn up.

Well of course Billy, I now find all of your posts fascinating.

Your barely ( and increasingly less-so) concealed hostility and manipulative posting have all the hallmarks of a train wreck about to happen.

I'm curious as to when the wheels will come flying off...

Billy_Dean
09-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by clocker+29 September 2003 - 22:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 29 September 2003 - 22:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Billy_Dean@29 September 2003 - 06:06
Hi Clocko, I was wondering when you&#39;d turn up.

Well of course Billy, I now find all of your posts fascinating.

Your barely ( and increasingly less-so) concealed hostility and manipulative posting have all the hallmarks of a train wreck about to happen.

I&#39;m curious as to when the wheels will come flying off... [/b][/quote]
Oh, come on Clocko, lighten up ... or at least change your avatar.

@ ilw

Is he another one of your sources of information Billy?
More a source of inspiration.

clocker
09-29-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@29 September 2003 - 04:55
What Do You ReallyKnow About The Bible?

Bible Quiz. (http://www.ffrf.org/bquiz.html)

How did you do on the test?

Billy_Dean
09-29-2003, 01:30 PM
I did amazingly well, thank you, how about you?

j2k4
09-29-2003, 02:14 PM
An observation:

Billy-

You seem to have no use for religion, or, at least for those here who have any sort of religious-based belief-system they are willing to defend..

Not being Catholic, I have to say the Catholic religion must make an inviting target just now for someone inclined as you are; while I certainly abhor the practices of certain of the Catholic clergy, and wish them to be dealt with in the harshest way, I must align myself with JPaul against you when you choose to attack Christian Religion so generically.

I&#39;m interested, though: In your support of the Palestinians, et.al., and your distaste for the U.S. and Israel you seem to be demonstrating a wont to support and admire Islam.

Have you "found" religion, Billy?

Edit: clarity

Billy_Dean
09-29-2003, 03:03 PM
j2k4

Have you "found" religion, Billy?

Had I "found" religion j2, in the judo-christian-islamic tradition, then I guess islam would be the natural choice, seeing as mohamed was the last of god&#39;s prophets, and superseded jesus and the christian church.

I&#39;m interested, though: In your support of the Palestinians, et.al., and your distaste for the U.S. and Israel you seem to be demonstrating a wont to support and admire Islam.
This is another "tactic" you taught me j2, thanks.

And this is another one, I call it "selective response", I learned this from my American and Scottish friends. Again, thank you, especially you JP, you are indeed the master.

ilw
09-29-2003, 03:34 PM
I&#39;ve noticed that you seem fond of Islam Billy, I hope you are aware that it is no different to other major religions that you have taunted ie Christianity & Judaism, in that its holy book contains subject matter that most western agnostics would find abhorrent.
http://www.faithfreedom.org/Articles/sina/..._left_islam.htm (http://www.faithfreedom.org/Articles/sina/why_i_left_islam.htm)

Just skip his life story it could well be bollocks, but he does seem better educated than most of the morons that post this kind of crap.

Q.3: 118-120
O you who believe&#33; Take not as (your) bitaanah (advisors, consultants, protectors, helpers, friends, etc.) those outside your religion (pagans, Jews, Christians, and hypocrites) since they will not fail to do their best to corrupt you. They desire to harm you severely.

A blind man had a slave-mother who used to abuse the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and disparage him. He forbade her but she did not stop. He rebuked her but she did not give up her habit. One night she began to slander the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and abuse him. So he took a dagger, placed it on her belly, pressed it, and killed her. A child who came between her legs was smeared with the blood that was there. When the morning came, the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) was informed about it.
He assembled the people and said: I adjure by Allah the man who has done this action and I adjure him by my right to him that he should stand up. Jumping over the necks of the people and trembling the man stood up.
He sat before the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and said: Apostle of Allah&#33; I am her master; she used to abuse you and disparage you. I forbade her, but she did not stop, and I rebuked her, but she did not abandon her habit. I have two sons like pearls from her, and she was my companion. Last night she began to abuse and disparage you. So I took a dagger, put it on her belly and pressed it till I killed her.
Thereupon the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Oh be witness, no retaliation is payable for her blood.

Q.3:90
But those who reject Faith after they accepted it, and then go on adding to their defiance of Faith,- never will their repentance be accepted; for they are those who have gone astray.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 6, Book 61, Number 577:

&nbsp; &nbsp; I heard the Prophet saying, "In the last days (of the world) there will appear young people with foolish thoughts and ideas. They will give good talks, but they will go out of Islam as an arrow goes out of its game, their faith will not exceed their throats. So, wherever you find them, kill them, for there will be a reward for their killers on the Day of Resurrection."

And human rights groups aren&#39;t too happy about the whole Sharia law thing as well.

NB this is not what i believe about Muslims&#33;&#33;&#33; As much as i hate having to dredge the many bigoted websites on the web I did so to respond in kind. There are far more abusive websites out there with much more damming quotations, but i had little faith in their translations.

Billy_Dean
09-29-2003, 03:43 PM
I&#39;ve noticed that you seem fond of Islam Billy,
Really??

j2k4
09-29-2003, 04:02 PM
Now all is clear:

Christian religion has been "superceded" by Islam&#33; :lol:

We could have saved a ton of cyber-ink had we known this earlier. ;)

There we are, JPaul-we are the relics of religious obsolescence. :P

Billy_Dean
09-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by j2k4@30 September 2003 - 01:02
Now all is clear:

So does that make you a christian too then j2?

J'Pol
09-29-2003, 04:19 PM
As I have stated elsewhere, I am more concerned with this persons political persuasions than I am with his religious ones.

The best he can do with his religious bigotry is to accuse me of having extreme fascist Catholic beliefs. Though he remains unable to provide any evidence of this.

As I recall I have said elsewhere I am a Catholic by trade, however that does not mean I believe everything that the Church does or teaches, I have made this clear. To give an answer to a question which will inevitably be asked, for one thing I think priests should be able to marry. I have no intention of discussing the details of my beliefs, or of trying to force them down anyone else&#39;s throat. Again as I have said elsewhere, that is just not how I feel it should be.

However his political beliefs are poison, remembering there are a lot of young minds and hearts here. Just the sort of group that Larouche and his cult followers, or other similar groups would target.

Once again I would only urge people to read what has been written by everyone involved here and make up their own minds.

Oh and I was already aware that we were the relics of religious obsolescence, I just wonder if anyone has told God yet, he should be informed.

Billy_Dean
09-29-2003, 04:42 PM
Aha&#33; I&#39;ve been waiting for this one ..

As I recall I have said elsewhere I am a Catholic by trade, however that does not mean I believe everything that the Church does or teaches, I have made this clear. To give an answer to a question which will inevitably be asked, for one thing I think priests should be able to marry. I have no intention of discussing the details of my beliefs, or of trying to force them down anyone else&#39;s throat. Again as I have said elsewhere, that is just not how I feel it should be.
This is a privilage afforded only to you is it?

J'Pol
09-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@29 September 2003 - 17:42
Aha&#33; I&#39;ve been waiting for this one ..

This is a privilage afforded only to you is it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I really didn&#39;t think you would fall for that, particularly when Clocker had asked you earlier if that was the very reason for the thread.

You even said "Aha&#33; I&#39;ve been waiting for this one ..

You truly are a nobhead.

Billy_Dean
09-29-2003, 04:51 PM
Answer my question JP, is this a privilage afforded only to you"

Seems you&#39;re the one caught out buddy&#33;

Then explain your views in light of the Nicean Creed you claim to follow.

I believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.
I believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God,
begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation, he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered died and was buried.
On the third day he rose again in fulfillment of the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
I believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
I acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
I look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come.
Amen.

rf9rider
09-29-2003, 04:54 PM
THE BIBLE.........Its a rule book and a guide to weak people who cannot make decisions for themselves.
Ban religion and make the world a better place.

Billy_Dean
09-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by rf9rider@30 September 2003 - 01:54
THE BIBLE.........Its a rule book and a guide to weak people who cannot make decisions for themselves.

You&#39;d better put your flak jacket on rf9rider.

j2k4
09-29-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean+29 September 2003 - 11:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Billy_Dean @ 29 September 2003 - 11:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@30 September 2003 - 01:02
Now all is clear:

So does that make you a christian too then j2?

:) [/b][/quote]
Yes, it certainly does, though not of the "born-again" stripe; I prefer to think I got it right on the first go.

Are you now going to use my admission to calumniate and distort my views?

J'Pol
09-29-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@29 September 2003 - 17:51
Answer my question JP, is this a privilage afforded only to you"

We have established that you are anti-semitic (you told us this yourself). You certainly give the impression of being anti-Catholic and probably anti-Christian. People can make their own judgements on this based on your writings. You are certainly pro-Palestinian (again you said this yourself).

You have pointed people to the sites of Lyndon Larouche as a source of information. Amongst this information we find that he states the September 11 attacks were made not by terrorists as we had though, but jointly by UK and US intelligence. I cannot remember why they are alleged to have done this.

No matter how many times I tell you that it is not my way to either justify my religion or try to thrust it down other people&#39;s throats you persist in asking me to do this. I replied to a thread you started in the spirit I thought you had invited it, I even said so at the time. I also explained my position with regard to this matter.

You are a hate-mongering, bigoted, delusional (hopefully) trouble maker. However that does not make you a bad person.

J'Pol
09-29-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean+29 September 2003 - 18:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Billy_Dean @ 29 September 2003 - 18:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rf9rider@30 September 2003 - 01:54

You&#39;d better put your flak jacket on rf9rider.

:) [/b][/quote]
Why would he do that, the chap is merely expressing his opinion.

bigboab
09-29-2003, 05:36 PM
Strong people need guidance too.

j2k4
09-29-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by bigboab@29 September 2003 - 12:36
Strong people need guidance too.
Just so, but in here, the strong are castigated for seeking "guidance" just as the weak-what then?

rf9rider
09-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Why would i need a flak jacket? I was stating my opinion. I have nothing to be afraid of from "Him Upstairs" ?
Should i expect a thunderbolt or something?
Im sure he has better things to do than worry about me, (look at everything going on around the World at the moment) :lol:
When and If he sorts the Worlds problems out, then i guess i`ll have to start looking over my shoulder, til then i`ll just carry on living my life in the best way i know how.............. ;)

bigboab
09-29-2003, 06:38 PM
You cannot be castigated for seeking guidance. You can only be castigated as a correction or censure for something you have done wrong.

clocker
09-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Well, I actually took the test.
Given, as I have previously stated, that I am not particularly religious, and, being somewhat leery of the bias of the test ( I tried to give the answer I thought it wanted, as opposed to any real knowledge I might have...) my score was 19.
Apparently I learned what I know from Sunday school (true).

So the point of this thread is what exactly, Billy?
I can&#39;t say I was particularly surprised one way or the other.

MediaSlayer
09-29-2003, 07:04 PM
off topic:when you post a link to something that claims to be a "test" on the bible knowledge, make sure the creators of that "test" have actually read the bible

I would feel safer clicking on a warez link than any more of your retarded daydreams billy. Do you really expect me to believe everything a website tells me? For instance, I could easy create a website that proposes to "test" people&#39;s knowledge of why billy dean is lost. Like this:
1. Billy Dean is lost because:
a.his puppy died and now he is left alone
b.his parents treated him badly
c.he enjoys wallowing in the propaganda of his own making
d.he wants to fit in with others, and he thinks others have these beliefs

Now, I could make an entire site filled with "questions" that were set up to reinforce my anti-billy dean belief system and i could even have you click on a button that would generate a certain score of my choosing. On second thought, no one would actually do that-what WAS I thinking?

loz
09-29-2003, 07:31 PM
You scored 8 correct out of 50.
0 - 9: Don&#39;t feel bad. You may be better off not knowing much about the bible.

It&#39;s great when you don&#39;t believe anything (religious) :)

noname12
09-29-2003, 07:56 PM
I scored a nice 19, seeing how I&#39;ve never read the bible in my life i think thats a good score.
Anyway I don&#39;t know why you guys think hes all pro-Islam I found a ton of things in that test cussing Islam as well as anything else to do with religion.
Bleh, I find this a pointless attack on something that has nothing to do with anything.... If you believe, eh who cares what ever makes you feel good, if you dont eh same thing, just dont go blasting your views at every one in an attempt to offend, thats just a low hit :P .

MediaSlayer
09-29-2003, 08:35 PM
I scored a nice 19

If you look carefully noname12, you *might* see something.

Edit:hey can somebody loan me &#036;40? Cuz I want to join the ffrf before its too late&#33; They gonna defend my right to not have religious rights&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Waht a bargaiinnnnnnnnnnthank you billy

Biggles
09-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Interesting

It is a while since I delved into such stuff and was a tad rusty, got 27. Surprisingly grim little foray but factually correct - reminded me why it is not for me.

Can&#39;t say I see much point in such an organisation though - it is only 1500 years too late. In a global village all religion is within touch, believe that which moves your heart (or none if you prefer) no one can force you otherwise. It is this freedom that the fanatics of Al Quada and other religions fear most.

Personally, if anything, I am of a Pagan bent. I like my tree and mistletoe at Yule (these symbols are anything but secular). However, I think the nativity story is nice and adds something to the season - it is ok with me. :)

<_<

Rat Faced
09-29-2003, 09:57 PM
4. There will be no offensive or inflammatory posts meant to offend or hurt any other member(s) or guest(s)

If you want to debate, then debate.

The attacks appear to be getting too personal.

Billy, attacking a religion is offensive in this context.

I dont mind you all debating religion per se........but attacking someones religious beliefs is offensive, not only to those you attack, but to any others of the same faith.

MediaSlayer
09-29-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@29 September 2003 - 20:50
Surprisingly grim little foray but factually correct

Factually correct? That "test" is about as factually correct and objective as a nazi propaganda session. Here is just ONE shameless lie contained in that "test".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
34. What did Jesus say about peace?
Answer: B

A."Peace on earth, good will toward men." --This Christmas message from Luke 2:14 contradicts Jesus himself.

B."Don&#39;t think that I came for peace on earth. I came to start wars." --Are these the words of a good man?

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." (Matthew 10:34) "I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished&#33; Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." (Luke 12:49-51) These words, by the way, come immediately after Jesus talked about beating slaves. (See Question 33)

C."Each person makes their own peace, according to their faith and how they treat others."

D."There is no peace apart from God." --Paul sometimes wrote about peace (see Romans 15:33), but this also contradicts Jesus.

As you can see, the phrase "Don&#39;t think that I came for peace on earth. I came to start wars." does not appear anywhere in Matthew 10:34 or anywhere else that in the bible that I know of. Check for yourself, its not there. Here is the exact kjv quote from Matthew 10:34 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." What the writer of this feeble "test" didn&#39;t notice is that the word sword is being used symbolically, as is common in the bible. The church interprets the word sword to be a reference to what is called the "sword of division". The sword of division is not a physical sword, but a symbollic reference to the seperation of the church between the rest of the world. The verses that follow talk about the separation from all non-believers, even family. The only true family a believer has are his trusted friends in the church.

Biggles
09-30-2003, 12:01 AM
Mediaslayer

I agree. Most of the Bible is symbolic and should not be taken literally.

The test is amusing precisely because of its bias.

noname12
09-30-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by MediaSlayer@29 September 2003 - 20:35

I scored a nice 19

If you look carefully noname12, you *might* see something.

:huh: I dont get it :blink:

J'Pol
09-30-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Biggles@30 September 2003 - 01:01
Mediaslayer

That would be why they call them parables.

Billy_Dean
09-30-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by JPaul+30 September 2003 - 09:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 30 September 2003 - 09:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@30 September 2003 - 01:01
Mediaslayer

That would be why they call them parables. [/b][/quote]
So where does parable begin and truth end?

Is the virgin birth parable or truth? walking on water? water to wine? raising the dead? resurrection?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MediaPlayer

Now, I could make an entire site filled with "questions" that were set up to reinforce my anti-billy dean belief system ...
That&#39;d be fun, calm down first tho&#39;, untwist your knickers, you&#39;ll have to convince people you had an opinion of your own.

RF

Billy, attacking a religion is offensive in this context.

I dont mind you all debating religion per se........but attacking someones religious beliefs is offensive, not only to those you attack, but to any others of the same faith.
Questioning people&#39;s beliefs is NOT offensive. Maybe you should read back over the offensive comments made about me in this thread, you don&#39;t see me complaining.

WediaPlayer again ..

What the writer of this feeble "test" didn&#39;t notice is that the word sword is being used symbolically, as is common in the bible. The church interprets the word sword to be a reference to what is called the "sword of division"
What makes the church&#39;s interpretation any more valid than someone else&#39;s?

I&#39;ve never seen so much fuss made over a simple "test", this forum is full of them. Must be school holidays. Oh, for more posters like Hobbes, EPB and Biggles, bring back the humour&#33;&#33;

SodiumChloride
09-30-2003, 06:58 AM
The bible gets stranger and stranger as you go back in time. That&#39;s because the hebrews told oral stories about god and the ancient figureheads of the jews. It was never written down until later in the text. That&#39;s why there&#39;s so much balogna in the bible.

That&#39;s also why you should NEVER use the bible as a source of historical fact, only as a source of wisdom (although slavery and being stoned to death can be omitted :lol: ).

If God exists, he needs to clarify. Now.

Billy_Dean
09-30-2003, 07:16 AM
If God exists, he needs to clarify. Now.

I hope you&#39;re not holding your breath&#33;

SodiumChloride
09-30-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@30 September 2003 - 00:16
I hope you&#39;re not holding your breath&#33;
LOL I&#39;m not. After all, it&#39;s been 2000 years since we&#39;ve heard from the deity. Maybe he&#39;ll pop up again after Yellowstone erupts and blankets the earth in ash, kiling all the sinners&#33;

SodiumChloride
09-30-2003, 07:29 AM
Actually the religion that i think is the BEST old religion is Buddhism. Except for the reincarnation/Nirvana parts, its wisdom is universal. Nothing about beating slaves or stoning to death. Meditation is scientifically proven to relax your mind and reduce stress.

ilw
09-30-2003, 09:01 AM
Completely off topic, but have you guys seen the "Are you a flame warrior" in the funny section its surprisingly good & accurate.

protak
09-30-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@29 September 2003 - 12:24
I want to know which version of the Bible they&#39;re using, because otherwise it&#39;s really a moot point. ;)

Edit: Oddly enough, my King James Version appears to differ from theirs. Oops.

Ditto&#33;&#33; ;)

Biggles
10-01-2003, 07:04 PM
There is a short note at the top of the answers page says all quotes are from the KJ unless otherwise stated. There are also a couple of extracts from Harper&#39;s Bible guide.

MagicNakor
10-02-2003, 01:35 AM
Oddly enough, my King James Version appears to differ from theirs. Oops.
One of these things is not like the other...;)