PDA

View Full Version : Scan My Ports

Storm
09-29-2003, 01:23 PM
anyone no how to (remotely) scan your comp to see which ports are open???

and i want to scan em all (or at least till i can find ONE so i can set up K-lite on my school comp*)

*plz dun start bs-in bout that i shouldnt do that................

exeus
09-29-2003, 01:27 PM
just get a scanner and put in your own ip

EDIT: if you like i can provide a link to a good fast free scanner

MUSLEMAN
09-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Storm@29 September 2003 - 09:23
anyone no how to (remotely) scan your comp to see which ports are open???

and i want to scan em all (or at least till i can find ONE so i can set up K-lite on my school comp*)

*plz dun start bs-in bout that i shouldnt do that................
don't invite people to do that boss get a program like aa tools to do that or go here and do it (https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) if you have a firewall run security check first most will tell you if they are open

MetroStars
09-29-2003, 01:43 PM
i luv doing these firewall tests, sygate is the best....

How sad am i :lol:

shn
09-29-2003, 10:58 PM
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Izagaia
09-29-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by shn@29 September 2003 - 17:58
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
After trying out a majority of those test for myself;

:ninja:
"izzy say that he very happy with his system"

<hugs his NIS Pro2003>

Wolfmight
09-30-2003, 12:51 AM
i jus use Zone Alarm Pro.. works for me

exeus
09-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@30 September 2003 - 00:51
could you please explain how you scan a comp or a network with Zonealarm... i have always just used plain old port scanners

Wolfmight
09-30-2003, 01:02 AM
well ya are talkin bout firewalls also.

shn
09-30-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by exeus+29 September 2003 - 18:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (exeus &#064; 29 September 2003 - 18:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Wolfmight@30 September 2003 - 00:51
could you please explain how you scan a comp or a network with Zonealarm... i have always just used plain old port scanners[/b][/quote]
Most people use that zone alarm crap because they dont know how to use port scanners.

Port scanners are about as extensive and efficient as your gonna get. If you know a little about networking and what ports should and shouldnt be open then stick with port scanners.

I have a router and that just about locks everything down unless I say otherwise. Plus with a router you dont get those annoying messages about something trying to access the network like those software filewalls do.

I havent ran a port scan (on my own boxes that is ;) ) in a while. I used to run them all the time but when you have a router its a waste of time scanning your ports.

pol
09-30-2003, 01:10 AM
if your interested in ports..... (http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers)

terry830
09-30-2003, 01:59 AM
ok. i know that no-body will talk about these scanners and routers . but where would one go to find out this info and to test the files?

exeus
09-30-2003, 02:01 AM
if your after a scanner PM me and ill send you a link

shn
09-30-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by terry830@29 September 2003 - 19:59
ok. i know that no-body will talk about these scanners and routers . but where would one go to find out this info and to test the files?
Dont quite know what you mean but............

http://www.insecure.org/nmap/

zapjb
09-30-2003, 02:16 AM
Who else is totally stealth? :)

balamm
09-30-2003, 02:26 AM
umm.. yer not totally stealthed ;)

4play
09-30-2003, 02:30 AM
nmap is a top notch network scanner.

it has just added a feature that will tell you which service and what version of software you are running. in the wrong hands this is very dangerous.

still behind my router im stealthed and secure. :D

exeus
09-30-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by 4play@30 September 2003 - 02:30
it has just added a feature that will tell you which service and what version of software you are running. in the wrong hands this is very dangerous
there have been scanners eg Languard that have done that for years....

sparsely
09-30-2003, 02:38 AM
there&#39;s something psychologically wrong with you.
I mean, nobody I ever knew in my entire life dreams about fire practically every night.
You ought to go to a shrink or something.

exeus
09-30-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@30 September 2003 - 02:38
there&#39;s something psychologically wrong with you.
I mean, nobody I ever knew in my entire life dreams about fire practically every night.
You ought to go to a shrink or something.
if that is directed towards me
i have never claimed to be sane by societys standards and nor do i want to be
and i dont dream about fire i used to be in the fire

balamm
09-30-2003, 02:50 AM
WTF?

4play
09-30-2003, 03:07 AM
http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/wtf.gif

i think they managed to stealth the conversation they had :rolleyes:

shn
09-30-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by exeus+29 September 2003 - 20:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (exeus @ 29 September 2003 - 20:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-4play@30 September 2003 - 02:30
it has just added a feature that will tell you which service and what version of software you are running. in the wrong hands this is very dangerous
there have been scanners eg Languard that have done that for years.... [/b][/quote]
Langaurd does exactly as the name implies. It can scan remote host. But its primary function is to do internel network scans on a "lan"

Ive used langaurd and it works absolutely great on your lan. But when it comes to scanning remote host its just a typical port scanner and most of the features dont apply unless your using it on your lan.

Nmap is much more extensive than that and is designed specifically for remote scanning.
So specifically for that meaning it does not let you scan 127.0.0.1 or conduct scans on localhost, it will but you cant put 127.0.0.1 in the input box, only your external ip. It prefers an actual external ip address or one on the net to scan and it can do wonderous things provided you know how to use it accordingly.

exeus
09-30-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by shn@30 September 2003 - 03:21
Langaurd does exactly as the name implies.&nbsp; It can scan remote host.&nbsp; But its primary function is to do internel network scans on a "lan"

Ive used langaurd and it works absolutely great on your lan.&nbsp; But when it comes to scanning remote host its just a typical port scanner and most of the features dont apply unless your using it on your lan.
.........it works the same on the Internet as it does a Lan.....and a typical port scanner does not have a dictionary or brute force attack....

EDIT: also i wasnt saying Languard was best scanner just that it had those functions years ago

shn
09-30-2003, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by exeus+29 September 2003 - 21:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (exeus @ 29 September 2003 - 21:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@30 September 2003 - 03:21
Langaurd does exactly as the name implies.&nbsp; It can scan remote host.&nbsp; But its primary function is to do internel network scans on a "lan"

Ive used langaurd and it works absolutely great on your lan.&nbsp; But when it comes to scanning remote host its just a typical port scanner and most of the features dont apply unless your using it on your lan.
.........it works the same on the Internet as it does a Lan.....and a typical port scanner does not have a dictionary or brute force attack....

EDIT: also i wasnt saying Languard was best scanner just that it had those functions years ago [/b][/quote]
Half of the stuff it performs is impossible from outside the lan.

Like getting network share infromation, netbios, and a bunch of other info that most of the time can only be retrieved if your getting it from a box on your lan or on the actual network.

As for brute or dictionary attack. It only uses common passwords like administrator, guest, etc. Thats not brute force, brute force exaust all remedies in regard to password cracking and can take days or weeks to accomplish. For brute force you dont need a password or userlist because it uses an algorithm method, but for a dictionary attack you do. "Brutus" is a good brute force app made for that purpose only. Langaurd doesnt even let you put in your own password list.

For example: If you had three boxes on your lan and you wanted to map a drive on one those boxes, you could do it if your on the lan.

If Im remotely trying to map your network drive or using a tool like langaurd to do it then its probably not going to work.. Thats why they call it "langaurd". Some companies may have hundreds of boxes on a lan and running an app like langaurd on the network can be really helpful. But if you tried to run langaurd on a network that you dont belong to then it would yeild meaningless results.

exeus
09-30-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by shn@30 September 2003 - 04:06
Half of the stuff it performs is impossible from outside the lan.

Like getting network share infromation, netbios, and a bunch of other info that most of the time can only be retrieved if your getting it from a box on your lan or on the actual network.

As for brute or dictionary attack. It only uses common passwords like administrator, guest, etc. Thats not brute force, brute force exaust all remedies in regard to password cracking and can take days or weeks to accomplish. For brute force you dont need a password or userlist because it uses an algorithm method, but for a dictionary attack you do. "Brutus" is a good brute force app made for that purpose only. Langaurd doesnt even let you put in your own password list.

For example: If you had three boxes on your lan and you wanted to map a drive on one those boxes, you could do it if your on the lan.

If Im remotely trying to map your network drive or using a tool like langaurd to do it then its probably not going to work.. Thats why they call it "langaurd". Some companies may have hundreds of boxes on a lan and running an app like langaurd on the network can be really helpful. But if you tried to run langaurd on a network that you dont belong to then it would yeild meaningless results.
maybe they have changed it then cos when i used to use it it did connect to shares it did brute force win 95 win 98 machines but nt you had to use a dictionary on i havnt used a new vertion so prob you are right then

4play
09-30-2003, 04:15 AM
i dont think it will tell you what services are actually running if found open either.
it just looks at the port number and says what normaly uses that port.

while the new nmap will tell you what service and version number. then again it is a new feature and im not sure how accurate it is.

still languard was an excellent tool for securing my lan.

balamm
09-30-2003, 04:17 AM
Brutus >>

http://members.shaw.ca/eyeindasky/brutus.jpg

125 pounds&#33;&#33; getting washed at the car wash, the only place large enough to wash this beast.

james_bond_rulez
09-30-2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@30 September 2003 - 02:16
I unplugged my network cable, that stealthy enuff?

clocker
09-30-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by balamm@29 September 2003 - 21:17
Brutus >>

125 pounds&#33;&#33; getting washed at the car wash, the only place large enough to wash this beast.
What kind of wax does he like?

shn
09-30-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by balamm@29 September 2003 - 22:17
Brutus >>

:o

He better not eat my poodle :angry:

is he trained/ :P

balamm
09-30-2003, 04:27 AM
It doesn&#39;t matter what he likes :P And don&#39;t give him any ideas. A dog this size is hard enough to handle without someone telling him he has rights. :lol:

(hot carnauba wax makes him very shiny ;) )

balamm
09-30-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by shn@29 September 2003 - 21:27

He only eats door to door salesmen and people in uniforms now.

He used to like cats but I soaked one in tabasco and he lost the taste. :)

shn
09-30-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by balamm+29 September 2003 - 22:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (balamm @ 29 September 2003 - 22:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@29 September 2003 - 21:27

He only eats door to door salesmen and people in uniforms now.

He used to like cats but I soaked one in tabasco and he lost the taste. :) [/b][/quote]
yuk

Izagaia
09-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@29 September 2003 - 21:16
Yo. B)

But that is just the default configuration for NIS. No sense in messing around in trying to customize my port configuration when I know so little about network traffic in general. I could most likely cut-off access to something I may actually need. The scans revealed the same results as the Symantec scanner- all stealth. So, being the blissfully, ignorant shmoe that I am, I will just trust that all is well enough for general internet browsing. :)

Wolfmight
10-01-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by shn+29 September 2003 - 22:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 29 September 2003 - 22:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-balamm@29 September 2003 - 22:17
Brutus >>

is he trained/ :P [/b][/quote]
dam, 2 heads?
twice the noise