PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

netweiser
09-29-2003, 06:14 PM
approx how much wud it cost in eletcricty to leave my pc on 24/7.

just the pc (with the cpu etc) not the monior or nothing.

reason for this is that i run a part time server for my mirror. wondering if i cud make that a full time, without costing me 2 much £$€

Kunal
09-29-2003, 06:53 PM
in da uk electricity is about 7pence for a kilowatt hr, so wrk it out frm der!

uve prob got a 350watt psu, so itll cost u 7pence for 3 hrs! lol, it dus add up after time though! lol

Cygnuz-Y
09-29-2003, 06:56 PM
How much is that in $$$ ?

Kunal
09-29-2003, 07:17 PM
i dont no how much electricity is in da us! i live in da uk! go check ur electricity bill if u get 1! 7 pence is about 12cents US! lol

lynx
09-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Make sure that everything that isn't contributing to server performance is low performance stuff to reduce power consumption. For example you don't need high performance graphics on a server so get a cheap graphics card. Also, see if you can remove most of the peripherals that are rarely used, such as cd equipment (but make sure you have network access to equivalent devices). Make sure the monitor is switched off when not in use.

By doing this you can reduce power consumption dramatically. I would expect normal power drawn from a 350W supply to be in the region of 200W (the 350W is required for startup, high performance loads, etc), and by careful selection of devices you could easily reduce this by half.

This would reduce running costs to about 20 pence per day. The equivalent in $/€ is about 30 cents, but of course that depends on how much you pay for electricity. But remember that 20 pence per day is £73 per year.