PDA

View Full Version : Your Career Path

JordoR
07-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Just wanted to create this topic as an open discussion. Basically I'm interested in the different careers that people have on the forum, the schooling required, how they arrived at the choice, and if they like it or not.

I'll start things off:

-I am a mechanical designer working for an mining engineering firm. Basically I do the layout/mechanical design for all of the equipment and process required in any particular mine.

-I took a 1 year mechanical design/drafting course at a local technical college.

-I fell into this path for the money at first, but am sticking with it because it is something that I truly enjoy.

Feel free to ask any questions, and to please add your own post below.

j2k4
07-13-2009, 12:46 AM
I don't believe I could claim my current occupation to be the culmination of any sort of plan or an educational endpoint...it followed from pure circumstance, and I haven't the energy to re-trace the path I followed to get here.

I suppose I should note I spent much of that time spinning my wheels and walking backward.

Anyhow, I've always envied those who did it more-or-less by the book.

I could never find a sustaining formal interest, and so commenced a rather patchy education in females, human specie.

The particulars need not be recounted here.

clocker
07-14-2009, 03:06 AM
My career path, such as it is, could never have been planned for and probably couldn't be duplicated.
Too much "right time, right place" kinda thing.

As an aside, I can't think of a single contemporary who actually followed through on their planned career...we all ended up doing weird things, unthinkable when we were yoots.

Cabalo
07-14-2009, 05:25 AM
i have a degree in business and economics, and ended up as an entrepreneur in the night life entertainment industry.
Started on it as a part-time to help pay for the university, climbed the ranks in a flash, and suddenly opened a company with a long time friend.
It's stressing, but you get to know the good side of living, working without a fixed schedule (for the good and for the bad) and having an hell of a fun at the same time.

As an example, i spent the whole night programming an excel sheet to synchronize the billing at multiple places, stock management, staff, costs, ratios, etc. Google Docs is an excellent tool for sharing spreadsheets.

and to think that when i was young i didn't even like going out to clubs. :)

daredevil999
08-05-2009, 09:57 AM
im still a student, entering university this fall.

Rat Faced
08-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I really dont know what to put here...

I'm a Civil Servant, and as I'm paid so much according to the Daily Mail, I guess that makes the McDonalds 2nd Job a hobby... :unsure:

bigboab
08-05-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm more carer path.:cry:

S3v3N
08-06-2009, 08:34 PM
I am top notch surgeon :smilie4: .

If you want to see my MRCS certificate pm me .

brento
08-07-2009, 05:00 AM
I'm hoping to become a lawyer and defend you n00bs when you get sued by the MPAA or the RIAA :P
Seriously though, I would like to go to law school and potentially become a criminal lawyer.

Recursacro
08-10-2009, 03:39 PM
After getting my PhD in Computer Science, I'd like to go to MIT to get at least a Masters in (mostly linear) Mathematics, which I'll apply to the Computer Science and programming. As for an actual job-type-thing, if I told you, I'd have to kill you. And I've been going to murderers anonymous, and doing quite well.

Barbarossa
08-10-2009, 03:53 PM
After doing a degree in maths, I then did a computer programming course in my own time for a year, and ended up getting a job as a programmer in a small software company. I then gained valuable experience there, and I've been in the same line of business at various other companies for the past 15 years.

After having chosen a degree that I thought would be most useful in later life, but one that I ended up hating doing, I'm glad that afterwards I chose a career that I do enjoy tremendously (most of the time).

Having said that there is more than just an element of being in the right place at the right time, in any career path.

bigboab
08-10-2009, 07:28 PM
After doing a degree in maths, I then did a computer programming course in my own time for a year, and ended up getting a job as a programmer in a small software company. I then gained valuable experience there, and I've been in the same line of business at various other companies for the past 15 years.

After having chosen a degree that I thought would be most useful in later life, but one that I ended up hating doing, I'm glad that afterwards I chose a career that I do enjoy tremendously (most of the time).

Having said that there is more than just an element of being in the right place at the right time, in any career path.

Without logic and Math I imagine(I know:whistling) it would be difficult to be a good programmer.:)

j2k4
08-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Or a good killer...for counting bullets, determining whom to shoot, like that.

cpt_azad
09-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Hey jordo, shit you're still on these boards? (well this thread is old...)

I fucked up on my career path, thought I could make it as a pilot in the air force, 3 years later and I'm still doing paperwork. Lesson learned.

Now I just want to go back to school, earn my degree and well, fuck, I don't know what I want to do w/ my life anymore. My sights were set on getting my wings since I was a little kid, commercial aviation is hella expensive especially during these times.

Note to anyone who gives a shit: Choose your career path wisely, and keep some options open.

j2k4
09-09-2009, 07:36 PM
My career path, such as it is, could never have been planned for and probably couldn't be duplicated.
Too much "right time, right place" kinda thing.

As an aside, I can't think of a single contemporary who actually followed through on their planned career...we all ended up doing weird things, unthinkable when we were yoots.

I've been meaning to compliment you on your yoosage of that particular appellation.

I use it often, because I prefer it to the other.

Actually, it is a proper part of the conservative inflection, but not to worry - it won't hurt you at all (at all).