PDA

View Full Version : Auto Shutdown

asmithz
09-30-2003, 01:22 AM
I had to reformat my hard drive cuz of this. There was a message everytime i turned my comp on. It said something like it has to restart and something about a remote cell. It only gave me 60sec till it restarted. That didnt even give me time to logon and ask how to fix it. <_<

exeus
09-30-2003, 01:26 AM
it was a worm i cant remember the name of it it has been around for about 3 or 4 weeks here we go i found a text file me gf had to fix some comps "it prob was worm blaster or a variant.

To clean out Blaster yourself, start by physically disconnecting the computer from the network and Internet. Then kill off the MSBLAST.EXE process. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the Task Manager – in Windows 2000 you&#39;ll also click the Task Manager button. Click the Processes tab, highlight MSBLAST.EXE in the list, and click the End Process button.

The MSBLAST.EXE program is launched at startup from a Registry entry. Launch REGEDIT from the Start menu&#39;s Run dialog and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows&#092;CurrentVersion&#092;Run. In the right-hand pane you should see a value whose name is "windows auto update" and whose data is MSBLAST.EXE. Delete this value. If for some reason you couldn&#39;t kill off the MSBLAST.EXE process in the preceding step, restart the computer at this point.

Use Search from the Start menu to locate all instances of files named MSBLAST.EXE and delete them. Next, disable DCOM temporarily. Launch DCOMCNFG.EXE from the Start menu&#39;s Run dialog. Those running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 will now need to navigate to Console Root&#092;Component Services&#092;Computers&#092;My Computer, then right-click My Computer and choose Properties. Click the Default Properties tab, un-check "Enable Distributed COM on this computer", and click OK.

Now you can reconnect the computer to the network –- even if Blaster were to attack your system again it can&#39;t function with DCOM disabled. The first thing you must do is download and install a personal firewall – you can get a free one from ZoneLabs or Sygate. Once the personal firewall is up and running, go back and re-enable DCOM. Finally, install the Microsoft patch that blocks the vulnerability exploited by Blaster. Just think, if you had done that when it was announced Blaster could never have hit your system

asmithz
09-30-2003, 01:29 AM
Damit that means something i burn has the worm thats sucks. I wounder why norton dosent detect it. <_<

Thanks for the help. :)

exeus
09-30-2003, 01:41 AM
nortons may not have got it due to the fact that there are varients out, maybe you got a new one there....
you will have to get the patch for it tho, next time if it happens just Ctrl Alt Del and kill off anything that has nothing to do with windows that should give you a chance to fix the prob

NightStalker
09-30-2003, 01:44 AM
It is the MS Blaster / Lovscan worm, to protect yourself download an Antivirus program and a firewall to block incoming ports. ;)

asmithz
09-30-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by NightStalker@29 September 2003 - 17:44
It is the MS Blaster / Lovscan worm, to protect yourself download an Antivirus program and a firewall to block incoming ports. ;)
I do, 3 firewalls and norton antivirus.

exeus
09-30-2003, 02:05 AM
the firewall wont help if you get a worm from a file.... but antivirus should but there is always a delay between being released into the wild and virus definition updates also there are plenty of viri out there that no anti virus company has a cure for cos they r rare and quite often not reported to them