PDA

View Full Version : Major Windows Problems

razorsharp013
10-01-2003, 08:15 AM
Windows XP home -

I've been getting this message from windows all day -

Delayed Write Failed: Windows was unable to save the data from so and so file to C:\........ The data has been lost. This error may have been caused by your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the file elsewhere.

I've never seen this before but it's been popping up all day for everything I do. Ran WinDoctor, fixed some problems, still fucking up. What's wrong?

ck-uk
10-01-2003, 08:28 AM
Do u have your hard drive tweaked in anyway,like installed third party controllers.Windows could be accessing and writing to fast.And the files are just failing or becoming currupt.Run a full scan disk,if the filesystems hosed u may as well reinstall windows.

asmithz
10-01-2003, 08:31 AM
Is your hard drive full?

razorsharp013
10-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Windows could not run the disk check, that's what it said.

No, my hard drive is only half full.

edit: Just ran Norton Disc doctor. It reported that there are problems with my file structure, how ever it could not access the drive to fix them.

ck-uk
10-01-2003, 08:48 AM
Boot in to dos mate or use the repair feature on the xp-cd,then run chkdsk /f /r.That will run a full checkdisk and repair anything.

razorsharp013
10-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Don't have the Xp cd.

zapjb
10-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Disk Doctor should (if fix disk option is checked) ask if you want to schedule it to run at next system restart. Choose yes, then without doing ANYTHING else immediately restart thru Start menu. Then it'll go thru a 5 step check. And if it's not too messed up Windows will fix itself.

N£MO
10-01-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by razorsharp013@1 October 2003 - 08:36
Windows could not run the disk check, that's what it said.

No, my hard drive is only half full.

edit: Just ran Norton Disc doctor. It reported that there are problems with my file structure, how ever it could not access the drive to fix them.
You should be able to set disk dictor to do a check after a reboot.

zapjb
10-01-2003, 09:31 AM
I just said that Nemo.

razorsharp013
10-01-2003, 09:32 AM
Actually, I know all about that. But Windows wouldn't even let me schedule the repair.
I got offline for a few and retstarted in safe mode. Went to the Windows check disk in computer managment and scheduled it from there, that worked. Restarted and ran Norton Disk Doctor and everything seems to have worked out ok.
I guess I'll found out soon enough. If any more problems occur I'll be sure to post.

Thanx everyone for all your help.

edit: I forgot to mention that there was also a heavy amount of disk churning as well. However that seems to have stopped now.

hammermaff
10-01-2003, 09:36 AM
I had the same problem a while back, drove me round the bend.
I think it's something to do with the "MFT". In the end i had to back up all of the stuff i wanted to keep and re-install xp. Since then no probs. :D
(basically it's not a problem with your h.d.)

Good Luck!!

Maff

razorsharp013
10-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Yeah, that's what I was deathly afraid of, that is was my hard drive. Luckily it doesn't appear to be, and it doesn't look like it was really a major problem at all. It just never happened to me before as I tend to keep all my stuff in good order.

razorsharp013
10-01-2003, 09:43 AM
Mother F*cker it's doing it again!

ck-uk
10-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by razorsharp013@1 October 2003 - 09:43
Mother F*cker it's doing it again!
Just re-install windows then mate..and dont forget to backup shit like docs and favs and any other dbase.Then start to image ur system for the future.

boyzeee
10-01-2003, 03:55 PM
how much memory you got installed and what os are you running on? when windows is writing to hard drive it will be using your memory and pagefile to buffer the info and it will "time out" if it taking to long if something hogging resources, check ya system performance settings and see if you got something hogging ya memory and/or manage ya page file(virtual memory) yourself as all versions of windows are shite at managing it and it gets fragmented all over drive, set min and max to same value ie 1000mbmin and 1000mb max, 2.5x ya installed memory is a good start then it will be placed in same place on drive and wont get fragmented. i got 512mb ram and pagefile of 1500mb, more than enough to deal with most things. :huh:

edit.....just seen you on xp but all still applies. :D